• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wickedwagon767
    304 AMC
    • Dec 26, 2005

Taurus Fan! : install pics

So I should have asked for this before I thought hit pay dirt on a pair of '99 Taurus SHO V8 electric fans. I'm sure these could still work........with a fabbed up shroud.

Does anyone have pictures of the 3.8L SHO Taurus electric fan installed on their FSJ?
  • ThisGuyUKnow
    350 Buick
    • Mar 25, 2008

the donor taurus we ended up going with for both the GW and the CJ7 ended up being early 90's models. But we found that allthough once you take off the clutch fan it looks like you have tons and tons of room it is impossible to get the fan in without cutting down the plastic shroud around it. On the GW we ended up cutting the shroud down to the circular shape of the fan and strapping right up to the radiator. It cools amazingly without a shroud at all just a fan pressed up against the radiator
    '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• jaber
      Dragin Az
      • Oct 17, 2003

Mine is a Chryco elec fan, but the same principle. I have reversed mine and put it outside pushing in. I'm either going to build a set of brackets, or just use the set of plastic straps that push through the rad with capture nuts. The zip-tie looking things you get with after market fans. I believe they are available @ any Mc Parts store.
      Jeff

'43 cj2a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '68 Panel Delivery
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Elliott
        Cowboy Up
        • Jun 22, 2002

Look up DanHS in the member registry, he's got pics of the install... but I think that was the 3.8 fan...
        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• jaber
          Dragin Az
          • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by Elliott
          Look up DanHS in the member registry, he's got pics of the install... but I think that was the 3.8 fan...
          Thats what he was asking for, LMAO....

Good morning Elliott!!!
          Jeff

'43 cj2a
          '51 Willys p/u
          '68 Panel Delivery
          '74 CJ5
          '75 J-20 Wrecker
          '77 J-10 p/u
          '79 Cherokee
          '88 Grand Wagoneer
          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

Oh, when I saw he posted he bought the V8 dual fans I figured he meant he wanted pics of that not the 3.8 V6..... which is a single fan.

What do you want Billy? I had some links to threads saved on this but apparenly they don't work anymore... I could email you the threads if you pm me your email address. The threads are on the 3.8 single fan install though.
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• wickedwagon767
              304 AMC
              • Dec 26, 2005

Originally posted by Elliott
              Oh, when I saw he posted he bought the V8 dual fans I figured he meant he wanted pics of that not the 3.8 V6..... which is a single fan.

What do you want Billy? I had some links to threads saved on this but apparenly they don't work anymore... I could email you the threads if you pm me your email address. The threads are on the 3.8 single fan install though.
              Jaber was right, pics of the 3.8L fan installed.

Maybe I'll just wire up one of the dual fans I won't be using inside the daily driver. The a/c doesn't work, I'm sure 1500cfm could keep me cool

Comment

• AMC-J/20
                350 Buick
                • Dec 17, 2009

Noobie FSJ question . . .

Why the electric fans guys ? ?

Sorry for asking another stupid question . . .

Mike
                1953 REO M48.
                1962 GMC C3000.
                1969 AMC AMX-390 Resto.
                1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
                1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
                1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
                1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
                1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me

Comment

• jaber
                  Dragin Az
                  • Oct 17, 2003

On mine, I only had 2" between the WP pulley and the Rad. That Caddy is HUGE...
                  A lot of guys are taking the fan resistance away from the engine. It takes a couple of HP to turn it.
                  Jeff

'43 cj2a
                  '51 Willys p/u
                  '68 Panel Delivery
                  '74 CJ5
                  '75 J-20 Wrecker
                  '77 J-10 p/u
                  '79 Cherokee
                  '88 Grand Wagoneer
                  '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• rixcj
                    258 I6
                    • Aug 02, 2007

Originally posted by AMC-J/20
                    Why the electric fans guys ? ?

Sorry for asking another stupid question . . .

Mike
                    The Taurus electric fans push a lot of air. This reduces the chance of overheating.

They can be easily found, for cheap money, so that helps, too.

They can also be hooked up, electrically, so that they can be shut off, if you're crossing through water.

Don't ever be sorry for asking.

Rich
                    1979 CJ5 with a 401...it goes a short way on a lot of fuel...https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...tom/drivin.gif

401, T176/ dana 300, amc20 (Mosers), D.U.I. HEI, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 670, ps/pb, 'glass tub, 1 pc tilt nose.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Comment

• shackwrrr
                      360 AMC
                      • Mar 04, 2006

Originally posted by rixcj
                      The Taurus electric fans push a lot of air. This reduces the chance of overheating.

They can be easily found, for cheap money, so that helps, too.

They can also be hooked up, electrically, so that they can be shut off, if you're crossing through water.

Don't ever be sorry for asking.

Rich
                      plus you dont have that big hunk o' metal spinning on the pulley, thus increasing the life of your water pump and belt along with the reduced rotating mass so you get better MPG's
                      Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• AMC-J/20
                        350 Buick
                        • Dec 17, 2009

Very cool I'm learning new trick's every day, this one i may need for my build.

Mike
                        1953 REO M48.
                        1962 GMC C3000.
                        1969 AMC AMX-390 Resto.
                        1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
                        1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
                        1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
                        1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
                        1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me

Comment

• shaolinsifu
                          232 I6
                          • Nov 21, 2008

Jaber, I just pulled the fan from my '00 caravan with intentions to install it on the MEat Wagon...do you have any advice/pics from your install?? it looks like it will fit the rad beautifully,I am mostly concerned with wiring it up and how much draw will it pull (have a "new" si12)
                          sorry for the hijack!!
                          85 Grand Wag:360 *219k* 4bl 1406, tfi upgrade, rear 3" blocks,front(get this) "rear"shackle drop kit (net 5" lift) , 265.70.16 bfg at's,flomaster40,boobie grille swap

Comment

• jaber
                            Dragin Az
                            • Oct 17, 2003

Well, as for mounting, I just cut all the tabs off so it was square and it fit perfectly in front of the rad. I grounded the color wire green on mine and extended the black one into the cab. I reversed mine to push.
                            That is as far as I've gotten on mine. I'm still doing other things on the truck to get it into DD status. Eventually I'd like to relay it off a temp switch so it comes on when the t-stat opens.
                            If your putting it on the inside, a couple of metal straps screwed to the outside plastic of the fan shroud with lock nuts, then drill holes in the ends of the straps to run the rad bolts through. That was my thought before I found out there wasnt enough room.
                            Jeff

'43 cj2a
                            '51 Willys p/u
                            '68 Panel Delivery
                            '74 CJ5
                            '75 J-20 Wrecker
                            '77 J-10 p/u
                            '79 Cherokee
                            '88 Grand Wagoneer
                            '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• azpackrat
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 20, 2009

WHY ALL THE TALK OF FORD FANS HERE, I THOUGHT WE WERE ALL JEEP FANS HERE!.... oh sorry I misread the post, anyway has anyone used the Ford Conture fan the CJ guys are starting to use them for clearence because they're duels, just wondered about fit and CFM versus the taurus.
                              ?A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.? Col. Jeff Cooper

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X