• Nov 08, 2006

Very good info on TFI here...

-Gary
    FSJ-Less

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by FS Jeep Man
      Can't you use one out of a chevy engine in the L-6 engines if you need one?
      for the AMC I6 you can. otherwise it's a custom unit for the V8.

i've made a couple HEIs' for AMC V8s'. worked very well. for 180.00 i think i'd just buy a Mallory unit,or one from Bulltear rather than mess with making one again.

HEI blows a TFI'd motorcraft ignition away. noticeably crisper throttle response.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• CJseven
        232 I6
        • Aug 18, 2007

I sent a Stock chevy one to M&M fab and had them cut and machine a new base to fit the AMC V8 for about 80 bucks, works like a champ.

Comment

• will e
          Always Broke
          • Nov 16, 2001

My Z&M continues to work great.

The bulltear price is hard to beat. They do focus on quality so I would imagine it is a good unit even at that great price.

Support the guys who support the hobby.
          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Murphy
            350 Buick
            • Jul 15, 2007

Those are all good sources, but don't forget about the Proform from BJ's. $210 with your ifsja discount.

Comment

• 1977Waggy
              232 I6
              • Nov 08, 2005

I went Bulltear, they had a cam and distributor gear as well.

Thanks for the input.

Charles

Comment

• Rogue
                360 AMC
                • Nov 17, 2001

good choice Bulltear rocks.
                Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• W O S
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 15, 2003

Anybody know the phone number that gets thru to BullTear? Trying to order some stuff before Jan 1. I've left a message but haven't heard back yet. Maybe not working today...

Randy
                  W O S = World Of PooPoo

SOLD in February of 2011 for $3000. 1976 Jeep Wagoneer (most recent of MANY). 401, TH400, QuadraTrac, Widetrack axles and front clip, 4" lift, 33" BFG's, Hickey Sidewinder under bumper winch, over $8000 in reciepts, and maybe worth 1/4th of that!

Comment

• rockjeep44
                    The Advisor
                    • Oct 15, 2001

If you've got a built motor DUI wins hands down.
                    Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
                    There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
                    "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• EL Grande Honcho
                      258 I6
                      • Jun 01, 2006

Originally posted by 1977Waggy
                      I went Bulltear, they had a cam and distributor gear as well.

Thanks for the input.

Charles
                      so for $155.00 you get the distributor gear included? Isn't always best to match them??

Comment

• 1977Waggy
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 08, 2005

"they had a cam and distributor gear was well"

Yes, you should get a matching set, and I did.

Charles

Comment

• BIGYELLOW78J10
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 18, 2000

Don't have anything else to compare to, but I installed my bulltear this afternoon in about an hour.

Mechanically, it seems great. I've only been able to time it by ear as I need to move the ac compressor to see my timing marks, but I am pleased.

I would have liked to have some instructions of some sort in the box though. You have to know what you are doing with it, unless I got the short end of the stick. The HEI plugs wires were interesting to install for the first time ever, but I got it all to work. It would be nice if there was a good $40 set of 8mm plug wires and a wiring clip included or offered as a package, but for the price, what can you say. Heck, there may be a kit and I just missed it.

All said, I like my Bulltear HEI. I think I will order another for my 401 tonight.

By the way, I had no trouble pulling my old dizzy gear and installing it on the Bulltear unit.

Daniel
                          78 J-10 Rumblin Wreck 2v 360 V-8 Qtrac TH400 Stock down to the rust Highway speed in about an Hour
                          85 J-20 4v 360 V-8 Transplant w/ 30k Fresh Rebuilt 727 and a working 208!!! A/C might even work one day!

Comment

• Rogue
                            360 AMC
                            • Nov 17, 2001

i have no first hand on bulltear but i can say that the other day at work we were a little slow so we were farting around with the boss man's cj5 with a 304 it has the DUI and shoot... you couldn't turn that thing anywhere with hitting something!!! finally decided we needed to restab it so the vacuum advance wouldn't hit the thermostat housing and from what I've read about others experiences on here just picking out the orientation of stabbing it is the hard part.
                            Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• billyrb
                              BJ's Off-Road
                              • Aug 15, 2001

On the DUI, as well as most HEI's, you can simply get a slightly longer power steering belt to help the vac advance clear the PS unit (on FSJ's).
                              BJ's Off-Road
                              [email protected]
                              Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Dec 28, 2002

Originally posted by Rogue
                                i have no first hand on bulltear but i can say that the other day at work we were a little slow so we were farting around with the boss man's cj5 with a 304 it has the DUI and shoot... you couldn't turn that thing anywhere with hitting something!!! finally decided we needed to restab it so the vacuum advance wouldn't hit the thermostat housing and from what I've read about others experiences on here just picking out the orientation of stabbing it is the hard part.
                                That is the #1 reason why we went with a clocking cap
                                AMC/Jeep Forum
                                Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
                                ///
                                "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

Working...
                                X