• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Logs0012
    258 I6
    • Apr 02, 2008

Filler Neck

As I've quietly gone about my 4bt swap, I have put alot of thought into foreseeable changes that would have to be made and problems that might arise. Well, the time has finally come to drive my truck on the road for the first time in three years and I need fuel. For the past year the cummins has been getting fuel via fuel can so this problem never came to mind. So I pull up to the diesel pump and feel awesome, until I go to put the filler nozzle in and "clunk!" The freaking nozzle is to big for the filler neck.

After my short story there, what have y'all done so that you can fill up at the pump?
    Thanks and Gig 'Em
    Lincoln Tucker
    Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

[email protected]

1970 J-2000, 4bt, NV4500, NP208 - Back on the road!

Coffee, Whiskey and Women... Always straight
  • itselliot
    350 Buick
    • Aug 28, 2010

fuel filler

Back when I did not want to run unleaded fuel and the difference in pump nozzle sizes dictated that leaded fuel would only be allowed in "older" filler necks because the spout was larger than the unleaded vehicles neck........

I stuffed a rag down the fuel filler hose and used a die grinder to open up the filler neck. Then used a magnet and vacuum cleaner to clean out the chips before removing the rag. Not saying that was a great idea just that is what I did when I had a similar issue and I was in my teens.........

Oh, and they raised the price of gas to take the lead out! That was AFTER raising the price of gas when they first introduced lead INTO the gas ,years earlier.
    If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
    [email protected]
    616 four 03 44 0 five
    '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
    "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
    '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Is your tank, fill pipe original? I wouldn't think a 1970 would have a nozzle restricter plate in the pipe. Auto parts stores used to sell slip on adapters that fit over a leaded gas nozzle with the output end reduced to fit into an unleaded restricted hole. On other unleaded rigs with the restrictor plate I just used a 12" socket extension and a hammer and just knocked it out(actually knocked it in).It's just spot welded into the normal fill pipe. Shouldn't be an issue on a 70 truck though.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• TrenchFoot
        232 I6
        • May 13, 2011

My '78 has the restrictor style filler so I picked up one from a 74 which is wide open, but surprisingly made of black plastic. Not sure what year they cut over but BJ's sells a tank for 70-77 that has a large diameter fill inlet, so that may pair up with the years of the larger fill neck.

But like Joe said, is your fill neck original to a '70?
        '78 Wag, 6.2L Diesel/700r4/QT

Comment

• Logs0012
          258 I6
          • Apr 02, 2008

Yes, it is an original '70
          Thanks and Gig 'Em
          Lincoln Tucker
          Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

[email protected]

1970 J-2000, 4bt, NV4500, NP208 - Back on the road!

Coffee, Whiskey and Women... Always straight

Comment

• TrenchFoot
            232 I6
            • May 13, 2011

This is what I picked up for mine, out of a 74 wag. I'd prefer it was metal, but it's made pretty thick and solid.

'78 Wag, 6.2L Diesel/700r4/QT

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
              350 Buick
              • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by TrenchFoot
              This is what I picked up for mine, out of a 74 wag. I'd prefer it was metal, but it's made pretty thick and solid.

Take the whole filler there to a muffler shop, and have them make a metal fill tube to the same dimensions.
              That is what I did for my 76, and it works great.
              (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• dusty
                327 Rambler
                • Jul 20, 2006

look at my build thread if the pictures are still up. i used 70-75 ford pickup bed side mounted fill neck. vans of that era also had similar necks. any leaded setup will have the deep throat . you need the wide deep throat to prevent the foaming from occurring. i think 2 or 2-1/4? fuel hose was it my thread on the rear mounted scout 32 gallon tank swap i think also had some pictures of it and the hard 2-1/4? diameter tube over the frame rail also
                Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
                The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• jaber
                  Dragin Az
                  • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
                  Take the whole filler there to a muffler shop, and have them make a metal fill tube to the same dimensions.
                  That is what I did for my 76, and it works great.
                  Did mine myself...
                  Last edited by jaber; 11-03-2013, 09:44 AM.
                  Jeff

'43 cj2a
                  '51 Willys p/u
                  '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                  '68 Panel Delivery
                  '74 CJ5
                  '75 J-20 Wrecker
                  '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                  '77 J-10 p/u
                  '79 Cherokee
                  '88 Grand Wagoneer
                  '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• fountain350
                    230 Tornado
                    • Mar 25, 2011

filler neck

It's probably more work but would give you a lot more capacity. I have a fuel tank with filler neck from a CJ-10A Tug which you could mount in the bed and connect to your stock tank. Next problem is that I am in York,Pa.
                    Jeff
                    CJ-10 owner

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

Don't know about your existing fill pipe issues regarding not accepting a dsl nozzle(a 1970 should) but if it won't and you're going to do a pipe swap anyway GO BIG and install a large tank vent and fill pipe vent. For dsl fill pipes/vents bigger really is better.
                      When pumping dsl fuel it foams up big time (the faster you pump, farther you splash dsl fuel the worse it gets). For a car/pu truck "I" would go with 2" min fill pipe and dedicated 1" tank vent. My Ford with 2 stock OEM tanks has factory fill pipes and venting and I pretty much fill one tank till the foam/back pressure/lack of proper breathing clicks off the nozzle. I then fill the other tank till it clicks off, by then the first tank has settled down to slowly top off, then top off the other tank. My Chev OEM dual tanks don't seem to have the same issue at least not as much. Dunno why it's easier. Point being GO BIG for fill and vent pipes. As large as you can fit.
                      Also be aware all dsl nozzles don't have the cutesy pressure click off function so when filling stand aside or wear clothes you're willing to toss. Wonderful but nasty stuff dsl fuel is.
                      joe
                      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
                      X