• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zorm
    304 AMC
    • Apr 08, 1997

electrical guro needed

Ok, few electrical questions.
    By my sig you'll see I have an 83 Chero with the 258. Now I am swaping in a 4.6 stroker and looking at wiring. I have a 92 cherokee engine harness and ecm I am trying to splice into the 83. The plan is to power the ecm for the 5 sensors I need, use the 4.0 starter and alternator, wire in the fuel pump and to supply what ever power the 83 cherokee needs from the battery or altanator, whichever I need. I will be keeping the engine sensors from the 258, so the only gauge mod is stated below (voltage)

Since I am moving to the 4.0 base engine, the starter does not have the starter solenoid mounted remotely. I will be removing the old solenoid.

Q1) there is a heavy yellow wire on the battery side of the starter sol that runs to the bulkhead connector and into the jeep, can I just tie this to the battery after a fuse?

Q2) there are blue and red little wires tied to the smaller posts of the starter sol, what can/should I do with these? and / or what are they for? (maybe from the ingition to energize the starter sol?)

Just did the amp gauge to voltage gauge mod last night using this post http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=17510

Q3) Am I correct in thinking the yellow wire that was tied to one end of the amp gauge is the same yellow wire from Q1) above? If so, and after the amp gauge it turnes into a heavy red wire, would I not be getting constant voltage from the battery on it or, does it tie into the ingnition switch and only after the key is in the "start" and "run" position does it pass on the power?

Q4) the red wire from the altnator goes to? can I tie the + side of my voltage gauge to it?

I have printed up the 83 cherokee wire diagrams from oljeep.com but am confused with some of it since the pages do not seem to match up.

help greatly appericated, I miss my old girl.

ps. I also just picked up a 136amp alt that will plug and play with the 92 cherokee engine harness I have.

thanks for any help
    83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

I discovered with my '83 Cherokee and '84 J10 that the 6 cyl rigs were closer to the '84 wiring diagram, depending on CA emissions or not. I unplugged my engine harness at the firewall and I'm going to remove the wiring for what I don't need. The alternator will go directly to the battery using the XJ harness and the yellow that went to the alt will still be hooked up but since ALL the amperage won't be passing through the bulkhead connector, I feel much better about NOT having a meltdown and Car-B-Que.
    Then I'm going to use the XJ firewall connector and make a jumper using the engine side of my FSJ harness. Only 3 of the wires are needed to run it besides the electric fuel pump. (can't recall which right now, but Frank Swygert has it posted someplace on the AMC-list.com or AMCforum.
    Having the diagram for both rigs is the key.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• csuengr
      327 Rambler
      • Jan 19, 2011

If you are not using an ammeter, the yellow wire can be removed completely. Yes, it is the same that went to the ammeter. The red wire from Q4 is then the main 12V wire that powers the rest of the Jeep, including the ignition switch. Remove it from the alternator, connect to the + side of the battery, then run it through a 40A fuse, or fusible link. You will then need a new wire from the alternator to the battery, again through a fuse, say 125-130A.

As for Q2. The blue wire will now be used to pic the starter relay. Yes, you still need a relay for the 4.0 starter. Just a simple SPDT relay. The red wire bypassed the resistor wire for starting purposes. It can be removed.
      If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

• Zorm
        304 AMC
        • Apr 08, 1997

love these forums exactly for this reason, thanks gentlemen. Good to hear from ya Chuck.

csuengr, as far as the blue wire, in the 92 cherokee engine harness, the wires going to the starter, the heavy one from the batt and a little one, are molded together

and connect up nicely at the starter. So would I need to tie the blue wire to say, the starter relay in the PDU (power distrubution unit, has relays and fuses) maybe?

Comment

• csuengr
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by Zorm
          So would I need to tie the blue wire to say, the starter relay in the PDU (power distrubution unit, has relays and fuses) maybe?
          Yes, the blue wire is the start signal from the ignition switch.

Comment

On my old Spirit/Eagle (aka SOTE or Spirit of the Eagle), we put in an AW4 and used the Jeep solenoid and jumpered the 4.0L starter main cable to the built in solenoid and it works fine. I'll be doing the same with the AW4 swap in the Honcho (motor and 4 speed are nearly out)
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Zorm
              304 AMC
              • Apr 08, 1997

humm, I could keep the fender mounted sol and use it for the relay for the electrical fan....humm

Comment

• 1983 j10
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 13, 2008

pm me your email I have some great info for wiring the 4.0 harness in that another member on hear sent me ill pass it along.
                1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• csuengr
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 19, 2011

humm, I could keep the fender mounted sol and use it for the relay for the electrical fan....humm
                  Nope. They are not rated for continuous duty and will burn out quickly.

Comment

• Zorm
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 08, 1997

ok, no starter relay for fan. I'll just see if I can fit in some relays or unused relays in the PDU for that. Also just saw a thread about seperate relays for hi and lo beams, might incorporate those too.

Comment

• 1983 j10
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 13, 2008

sent the info your way.

ok, no starter relay for fan. I'll just see if I can fit in some relays or unused relays in the PDU for that. Also just saw a thread about seperate relays for hi and lo beams, might incorporate those too.
                      1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

Working...
                      X