• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vacaisle
    snide. snarky. grease covered.
    • Mar 18, 2013

Leaf springs

I've got a question for you guys. Where do you get your stock height leaf springs? BJ's has them. Nothing against them but I just want to know my options. Crown has some, Rancho... Who else?
    89 Grand Wagoneer
    145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

I would call around locally and try to find a spring shop.
    Save the $$$ from shipping, and if you have a problem easier to deal with/resolve.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
      Banned
      • Mar 01, 2009

Off less used FSJ donors. For real. I've never bought after market springs or had mine rebuilt. I have rebuilt some of my packs and have inserted add-a-leafs in the rear of the 4-door J20 along with 1" blocks.

And yeah, a good spring shop may be able to rebuild your set for a decent price.

But you can find some interesting stuff under the rear end of some dilapidated 1980s Wags with the tow package.

Comment

• Mike D
        350 Buick
        • Jul 29, 2002

I had a pair made for my J200 for 300$ for the pair with a +2" over stock height.... Pohl springs of spokane ...
        64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
        50 truck
        63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
        And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• del
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 13, 2006

springs, u-bolts

I have used a local spring shop for a few things. Had them make some u-bolts because I forgot to order bolts with kit I got from BDS. Not impressed. Basically the shop uses threaded stock and bends to shape you need. The kit bolts are much better and fit better. A friend used same shop for a couple of his cars and they would sag after a few years.
          Another thought, if a vendor is willing to make a kit for our vehicles, why not patronize them? Chances are the vendor has gone to the trouble to make sure the product is the right for the application. Also keeps them in business....Del
          1987 Wagoneer
          4" BDS Springs, 31"x10.50's
          401/727/229

Comment

• cma
            350 Buick
            • Jan 26, 2012

question back: why you need new ones? you could remain the old ones, or are they worn out at one side?

Originally posted by vacaisle
            I've got a question for you guys. Where do you get your stock height leaf springs? BJ's has them. Nothing against them but I just want to know my options. Crown has some, Rancho... Who else?
            Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• vacaisle
              snide. snarky. grease covered.
              • Mar 18, 2013

You mean have them re arched? I've heard that isn't very effective for very long. My plan I think is to get a used set in better condition than mine and install them. Then cut the eyes off the main leaf of mine and use it as an add-a-leaf. I've found a free set of front springs, now I just need the rears.
              89 Grand Wagoneer
              145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a

Comment

• cma
                350 Buick
                • Jan 26, 2012

I bought in germany a pair of used wagoneer (1984) springs, to remain them, only brush away the rust and new paint, new bushings, new center bolt and pads and bend clamps.
                will post pictures when i am in process...

Originally posted by vacaisle
                You mean have them re arched? I've heard that isn't very effective for very long. My plan I think is to get a used set in better condition than mine and install them. Then cut the eyes off the main leaf of mine and use it as an add-a-leaf. I've found a free set of front springs, now I just need the rears.
                Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

• Herk
                  350 Buick
                  • Jun 12, 2006

Recently bought stock type replacements from ESPO.
                  There are 2 rules to success in life...
                  Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
                  2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                    Banned
                    • Mar 01, 2009

Originally posted by del
                    I have used a local spring shop for a few things. Had them make some u-bolts because I forgot to order bolts with kit I got from BDS. Not impressed. Basically the shop uses threaded stock and bends to shape you need. The kit bolts are much better and fit better.
                    This is common with a shop that has noobs running the press. They forget to account for the natural springiness of a U-bolt. I had to baby-sit the kid building my U-bolts for my daughter's truck and later the rear end of my green truck. By the time they got to the third axle worth of U-bolts for me I had them bend the U-bolts .250" under size of the axle OD...the Ubolts came out perfectly sized!

Before, I just gave them the measurements for the exact OD of the axle tube which always left the U bolts .250 over sized. "Just torque them down to 240 foot pounds, they'll tighten up!" The kid said.

Not gonna happen. They WILL be the proper size before I go running the nuts down to 240ft-lbs. I don't need to bend or snap the backing plates. At $10 a piece, I'm not paying for them twice.

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
                      304 AMC
                      • May 02, 2003

ZM JEEPS

ESPO
                      FSJ-Earl
                      2002 F350 Diesel - tow rig / family hauler
                      2008 4 door JK Rubicon - Wife's Daily Driver
                      1989 GW - the one that started it all
                      1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig

Comment

• mdill
                        Gone. Not Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2000

If you want stock replacement (not just close enough generic) the Detroit Eaton will build a set (and do a nice job) to the OEM spec for your year, spring count ... A must if you are Priss !!!
                        -----------------------------------------
                        Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                        1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                        1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                        1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                        1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                        And the other stuff that gets driven
                        ----------------------------------------

Comment

• jeepdan
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 18, 2011

Originally posted by mdill
                          If you want stock replacement (not just close enough generic) the Detroit Eaton will build a set (and do a nice job) to the OEM spec for your year, spring count ... A must if you are Priss !!!
                          Can they put the teflon pads on the spring leaves, as done on the later Grand Wagoneers?
                          2020 Gladiator Overland Gator Color (daily driver)
                          91 Grand Wagoneer (in storage)
                          67 Kaiser M715 (frame off restoration)
                          64 US Army CJ3B (frame off restoration)
                          66 M416 trailer (original "nice" condition)
                          Two unrestored 56 Willys trucks (one a pickup, one a stake bed)

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                            Banned
                            • Mar 01, 2009

Originally posted by jeepdan
                            Can they put the teflon pads on the spring leaves, as done on the later Grand Wagoneers?
                            Those slippy-pads between the leaves date back further than the later Gwags. My '79 J20s all had them.

And that would rock. Especially if they make them tapered instead of the stupid 3/8" thick leaves and just layer them. That makes for a really harsh ride if you use 6-leaf spring-packs in the rear/front.
                            Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 07-06-2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• cma
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 26, 2012

i rebuild a pair of good old ones.

the waer pads are on the way to me (thanks again to WHIIS), also the new clamps. New center bolt and of course new bushings.

here after grinding, rust converter session:

Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

Working...
                              X