• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olllllo
    258 I6
    • Jul 29, 2003

Pics and vids of first wheeling trip in the Wag

What a GREAT weekend! I packed up the boys and myself for a 4 day/3 night wheeling camping trip to BMRA as part of a Lone Star Jeep Club event with 100+ Jeeps. Some of those guys in their shiny 08 Wranglers weren't really sure the wag was a Jeep... until I strapped them up the trail at least.

First off, I can't believe what a great wheeling rig a Wag is. I have wheeled CJs, TJs, XJs, but didn't know what to expect with the FSJ. I was really blown away. Not only did it perform great, but it was funny what a conversation piece an old FSJ can be. I had more people coming up asking me about it than I ever had in any other vechicle. I did mostly 2 and 3 rated trails all weekend, but did one 4 diamond trail a few times as well. The only trails that I had any trouble with were the ones where you end up off camber up against a wall. There is a lot more sheet metal to worry about on this rig, and with tires that actually tuck up under the fenders I had to get used to not being able to just slide up the side of walls with my tires taking side contact for me.

All factors considered, this is the perfect rig for my family. I towed my pop-up camper out with ease, wheeled the heck out of it for 4 days straight, and towed home without issue (well... tiny hole in the radiator, but that story is worth a separate thread.

Here are a few pics that sum up my weekend. All the pics click to a full size version if you want to see bigger ones. The full set is available here. Make sure to check the video links at the bottom of this thread.

My youngest son, Parker. [full pic]

Getting a wheel up on the exit of Green Lane [full pic]

Still trying to find the right line on that ledge [full pic]

Taking a little break on Scorpion Overlook[full pic]

The boys on Scorpion Overlook[full pic]

Heading to the light [full pic]

[full pic]

Last morning in camp [full pic]

Cool weekend eh?? So, here are a couple of videos....

This is the top of a 4 diamond trail called Jeep Eater. It is a steep loose climb with an offcamber ledge at the top.

This is the exit of a trail called X-Way. I was trail leading a group of baby Jeeps and they were worried about doing this trail. I dropped in to check it out. They all decided the top was too tough and would prefer not to do it. I turned around and came out of it. Their commentary in the background is kind of funny.

And thus ends my pic whoring. Thanks for letting me share my excitement over my rig and a killer Memorial Day weekend!
    ~Dave Shuck

'86 Grand Wagoneer - 4BT Cummins, Dodge NV4500, Ford NP205, Front HD HP 44, rear D60, 37" military Goodyear MTs
    >> Build Thread <<
  • azwagoneer80
    258 I6
    • Nov 29, 2004

Nice pictures! Looks like a good time.
    1980 Wagoneer 360 Tf727, NP219, TFI, exhaust, CS144 Alt, Taurus Fan.
    1986 IROC-Z finally finished.

Comment

nice pictures, looks like you guys had a blast.

Al
      79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
      99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
      07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• janie
        • Aug 11, 2001

Dave, that is freakin awesome!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• yoslvr442
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 28, 2005

Thats great!! nice pics.
          90 Grand Wagoneer " CHERRIGATOR "
          Black cherry metallic
          Hydroboost
          Exploration ready!!
          sold

Comment

• yoslvr442
            327 Rambler
            • Jun 28, 2005

where in texas is it?? i would love to go there
            90 Grand Wagoneer " CHERRIGATOR "
            Black cherry metallic
            Hydroboost
            Exploration ready!!
            sold

Comment

• Bill Lawton
              232 I6
              • Jan 15, 2007

Thank's for sharing. Great pics
              TH400 QT w/LO D-44 3.54
              www.cabinet123software.com

Comment

• olllllo
                258 I6
                • Jul 29, 2003

Thanks all! It really was a blast, and I can't wait to pack it up and get back out there as soon as I can. (dang the gas prices!)

@yoslvr442 - It is about 3 hours east of Dallas near Gilmer, TX. Not too far from the LA border as a matter of fact! Check out http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/ - BMRA is a property of TMTC http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/
                ~Dave Shuck

'86 Grand Wagoneer - 4BT Cummins, Dodge NV4500, Ford NP205, Front HD HP 44, rear D60, 37" military Goodyear MTs
                >> Build Thread <<

Comment

• sungoesdown
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 16, 2008

Looks like you had a great time!
                  83 j-10
                  86 grand wagoneer

Originally posted by HeadHoncho
                  BTW, how does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey?????!!!!!!!
                  Originally posted by holley2346
                  I hated to hear this as I was really wanting to do an ox in the rear.

Comment

• misfittom138
                    350 Buick
                    • Dec 19, 2007

81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• cajun_lad
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 17, 2006

Originally posted by olllllo
                      Thanks all! It really was a blast, and I can't wait to pack it up and get back out there as soon as I can. (dang the gas prices!)

@yoslvr442 - It is about 3 hours east of Dallas near Gilmer, TX. Not too far from the LA border as a matter of fact! Check out http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/ - BMRA is a property of TMTC http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/
                      Hey that's near my cousin's house. Next time I visit, I might just have to bring the Cherokee.
                      Joey
                      Jeep-Less

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 02, 2006

Yeah, the first time you wheel a waggy, it is definitely a surprise how well they do off road. Wait til you wheel one that you don't care about -

peace
                        Dave
                        There is no way to rule innocent men.
                        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

Working...
                        X