• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alienature
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 12, 2015

Absolute minimum lift for 35s

Hello. Im new to the fsj world, I just got an 87 gw and I'm getting ready to lift it up. I have a set of 35 12.5 15 km2s off of a wrangler I sold that will be going under the wagon. From what I've read Rustys 6" and some trimming will clear 35s. My question is can I get away with a shorter lift and maybe a little more ? I Rolled the 35s next to the stock tires and a 6" lift seems excessive. But I yield to experience. Thanks!
  • surfwagoneer
    232 I6
    • Jun 23, 2012

So I had this same debate and ended up throwing together what I could at the time but still ended up coming out with about 6" of lift and cleared 35's (315/75/16 a little short). I have a 4" lift, 1" body lift and extended shackles up front and 1" zero rate spring in the rear. I've thought about taking out the extended shackles and zero rate spring but I like the wheel travel and stance it has as it sits. I have trimmed the front and rear substantially but I think it has come out looking very good. It has proven to be very stable on the trail. With some chevy springs in the rear, giving me a bit more droop, I'll have a very capable rig.

89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 6 inch lift, de-smogged, 14 bolt, HD44, 35" tires

Comment

• Alienature
      230 Tornado
      • Feb 12, 2015

I Like it, where'd you source the lift?

Comment

• surfwagoneer
        232 I6
        • Jun 23, 2012

The springs are rusty's 4" springs. I highly suggest just buying the springs though and picking up some better shocks. I'm also on 1 tons, thus the wider stance. With stock axles or a bit larger backspacing the rear would stuff very nicely.
        89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 6 inch lift, de-smogged, 14 bolt, HD44, 35" tires

Comment

• Alienature
          230 Tornado
          • Feb 12, 2015

Thanks, and awesome rig man

Comment

• c.maus
            230 Tornado
            • Feb 16, 2017

I'm thinking of doing something similar but i'm on an really tight budget and i have some questions. What did the setup cost you? What shocks should i use? where did you get the shackles and body lift? Also, what trimming was needed? Could i save money by skipping on the body lift and/or shackles and trade for a little more hammering and cutting?

Thank you, Cameron

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Yeah, a few variables here:

Do you have a WideTrack? If so, you don't need as much lift to fit bigger tires.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• c.maus
                230 Tornado
                • Feb 16, 2017

I have a 77 wagoneer with quadra trac and low range reduction, im not sure if it has wide track or not.

Comment

• j10jim
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jan 11, 2003

Waggies are not widetrack. Jtrucks and MOST Cherokee's are widetrack. They have noticeable fender flares and MUCH bigger rear wheel openings.
                  1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• c.maus
                    230 Tornado
                    • Feb 16, 2017

My budget is like 1500, I was thinking about getting treadwrights because it makes all the other tires seem like a rip off. I was also looking at rustys off road lift kits
                    https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...sion-lift-kits I don't know if it's worth the extra for full springs or get an add a lift, or if I should get the 6inch lift for more flex.

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

6" lift springs will reduce flex significantly. Do some research on SOA (front) and shackle flip (rear).
                      Ride like OE, lots flex.
                      The 6" spring lift I had zero flex up front, very little in rear, and tore the front springs hangers from the frame.
                      Worst thing I ever did to any FSJ.
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• c.maus
                        230 Tornado
                        • Feb 16, 2017

Ice heard soa kits require a longer drive shift, would I still have to do this? Also what should I do for springs?

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by c.maus
                          Ice heard soa kits require a longer drive shift, would I still have to do this? Also what should I do for springs?
                          stock springs can used

IIRC there is a JY front shaft that's a bolt in and correct length.

Use google to search...LOTS of info on SOA
                          If you want lift and big tires and flex, way better than just lift springs.

site:ifsja.org SOA
                          the above punched into google search will net you lots of reading
                          Last edited by babywag; 03-10-2017, 04:00 PM.
                          Tony
                          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                          X