• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jay-ten
    232 I6
    • Dec 18, 2008

Winch size opinions wanted

I have a '79 golden eagle that I am going to buy a winch for. I am on the bubble between a warn vr10000 and a vr12000. If anyone has knowledgable/experienced input I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Jay-ten
    '74 J-10 & '79 Cherokee Golden Eagle
    http://sites.google.com/site/jeepj10pickup/
    Gone but not forgotten:
    '76 Wagoneer - 401 & '77 Cherokee Chief W/T - 360
  • 68glad
    350 Buick
    • Jun 01, 2006

10k will be more than adequate. I have a 10k smittybilt & 6k lb wag. Have not found myself wishing for a 12k yet. A golden eagle isn't even close to 6k lbs.
    68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
    78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

10k will be plenty big. General rule is 1.5 x GVWR, Both my J-4000's had older 8000 lb Warn-Belview stand up winches and always got me and others unstuck. I've never needed more than an 8000 on anything up to 3/4 ton trucks.. Bigger is better but only to a point. Whatever route you go DO buy and use a snatch block.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

well

10K will probably be ok. A jeep could use more than twice it's weight in pulling power to pull it out of the mud. You're not pulling a free wheeling machine. There's really not that much difference between the 2 winches. Although you can get a way with the 10 a few pennies more resolves your question. Remember the saying I coulda had a V/8.
        I have a 12K. I have loaded it up completely. The snatch block is always an option as Joe said. It's a great option. This is a huge investment. My winch has done everything from pull fence post, tree trunks, & roots, straightened car frames raised radio towers, to pulling dead vehicles on the trailers & pulling vehicles out of the mud. I even raised the front end off the ground to untangle some barbed wire in the middle of nowhere. It's not a place to cut corners.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• mokurt
          258 I6
          • Feb 23, 2014

Your power supply for the winch is another thing to look at.
          A dual battery set up is best for a winch.
          1967 J2000
          1985 CJ7

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

LOL

Originally posted by mokurt
            Your power supply for the winch is another thing to look at.
            A dual battery set up is best for a winch.
            Tip of the iceburg batteries alternator wiring all need to be upgraded.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Jay-ten
              232 I6
              • Dec 18, 2008

Thanks for the input

I really appreciate the input. I am leaning towards the 10k and a snatch block.
              '74 J-10 & '79 Cherokee Golden Eagle
              http://sites.google.com/site/jeepj10pickup/
              Gone but not forgotten:
              '76 Wagoneer - 401 & '77 Cherokee Chief W/T - 360

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

Get a couple of snatch blocks and a half a dozen D rings too.

With 3 snatch blocks you can pull your own rig backwards.
                82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Jack105479
                  230 Tornado
                  • May 06, 2020

A good rule of thumb is your winch should be at least 1.5 times the weight of your Wrangler. If your Jeep is stock other than the winch you will be adding, you can just multiply your gross vehicle weight (GVW) by 1.5. I will suggest you to take help from online portals as it will provide lots of options. I was also in a dilemma a couple of months back when I have decided to buy a new winch for my Wrangler and got some decent options to consider on portals like Quadratec, Jautostation(https://jautostation.com/best-jeep-winch/), Ford jeeps, Jeep world websites.
                  Last edited by Jack105479; 05-18-2020, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• Tanker
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 04, 2005

Wow What a can of worms. A snatch is used to double your pulling power. Why well 10k 12k is off the last row of cable. As you bring your cable in each layer of cable decreases your pull weight. So a 12k winch your first layer of cable only has 6800 of pull power. This is a rough number not exact. Then you snatch block it means more cable out so now your in 3rd row.Now you pull at 9200.

Like what was said battery alternator wiring. Another worm can.Amps are current flow. So a free wheeling winch draws 65 amps. At max load it can be as high as 400 amps. So to do it right bigger wires to carry the load ,alternator to make amps,battery to stow the amps. This is a rough ideal what needs to be done right.
                    Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
                    Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• 78J10honcho
                      350 Buick
                      • Dec 18, 2005

Since this thread is 5 years old, he has probably made his decision. Although I did enjoy reading a comment from Serehill
                      Ben
                      78 j10 honcho 360/th400/d20 (sunday driver)...97 F-350 crew-cab 4x4 5-spd PSD (tow rig)

Comment

• SJTD
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 26, 2012

Always funny when someone bumps an old thread just to repeat a previous answer.

And without an acknowledgement of the repeat. Bad form.
                        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Jack105479
                          230 Tornado
                          • May 06, 2020

[QUOTE=Jack105479]A good rule of thumb is your winch should be at least 1.5 times the weight of your Wrangler. If your Jeep is stock other than the winch you will be adding, you can just multiply your gross vehicle weight (GVW) by 1.5. I will suggest you to take help from online portals as it will provide lots of options. I was also in a dilemma a couple of months back when I have decided to buy a new winch for my Wrangler and got some decent options to consider on portals like Indiamart, Jautostation(https://jautostation.com/best-jeep-winch/), extremeterrain.

Comment

Working...
                          X