• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dfitz
    232 I6
    • Jul 26, 2001

sway bar disconnects

who has em?.........are they available to buy or must they be fabricated? how necessary are they? maybe just for extreme rock crawling?
  • CheapJeep
    350 Buick
    • May 09, 2000

Don't quote me, but i think that sway bar disconnects from a CJ will work. i know the bushings are the same, but you would have to check onlength. A lot of component sfor CJ's will work for stuff like this, but you really need the 'donor' vehicle to look at and compare length/width/size.
    Scott
    ------------------------------------------------
    Scott

Skepticism is the default scientific position.

1978 Wagoneer Limited For Sale
    360 TH400 Q-trac w/ Lo Projection

88 GW Soon to be my trail rig!

Comment

• RustyJeep
      304 AMC
      • Apr 09, 2000

Sway bars? What are sway bars?
      Who needs a sway bar?

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: RustyJeep ]</p>
      -Rustyjeep-
      aka Ben Mitchell
      '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

• Lindel
        Perfesser of Jeepology
        • Jun 15, 2000

look at MuddyJeep, he's got disconnects especially for FSJ's, and at a good price. $125 IIRC.
        Jeep Grounds
        RRV Homepage
        Texas Full Size Jeep Association
        1987 Grand Wagoneer
        AMC 360/TF727/NP229
        1999 Wrangler Sport
        4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Lindel
          Perfesser of Jeepology
          • Jun 15, 2000

Look under "Buy some stuff from Muddy"
          Jeep Grounds
          RRV Homepage
          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
          1987 Grand Wagoneer
          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
          1999 Wrangler Sport
          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• billyrb
            BJ's Off-Road
            • Aug 15, 2001

Ya'll should talk to kimbrough. He got disconnects for his SJ for around $60 for the pair (in CHROME too!). We used them on the Rich Mtn. Trail ride, and they worked great! I just don't see the point in paying 2x as much for the same thing. Just my $.02

~ryan
            btw, go to the Events section, look under Rich Mtn., and you will find Kimbrough's private id.
            BJ's Off-Road
            [email protected]
            Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Iron Horse
              350 Buick
              • Jan 20, 2001

Has anyone seen 6" disco's for either a CJ/YJ/SJ? I've seen lots of 4" stuff but nothing in the 6" range....mabey 4" ones would work?
              Andy<br /><br />Iron Horse: 1987 GW 360/TF727/NP229/D44\'s F/R,TFI upgrade, 35x12.5 MTR\'s, Rhino grill, no wood, & Rusty\'s 6\" lift.<br />~Soon to have:<br />More goodies than I have money for.

Comment

• Josh D
                360 AMC
                • Jan 17, 2002

All,

Two word's: Make them! It is real easy. Use the stock swaybar link ends (the eyes with the bushing) and cut out the link between. Go down to Home Depot and by some tubing, bar stock, and a clevis pin (I don't have the dimensions with me, just get tubing of around 5/8" I.D. and bar stock that will fit in it snugly). Cut length for apropriate amount of lift. Weld (or have welded by a shop) the male end to the bushing "eye" and the female end to the other bushing "eye". Insert male into female (we should all know how to do this), line up the the "eyes" and drill through for pin. Made some for my SOA YJ a long time ago, they work great, you can make them any length you want, and best of all, they're cheap!!!

Josh
                '71 J2000 Gladiator
                '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Iron Horse
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 20, 2001

Good tip Josh....sometimes ya just can't see the obvious.

Andy
                  Andy<br /><br />Iron Horse: 1987 GW 360/TF727/NP229/D44\'s F/R,TFI upgrade, 35x12.5 MTR\'s, Rhino grill, no wood, & Rusty\'s 6\" lift.<br />~Soon to have:<br />More goodies than I have money for.

Comment

• Bob Barry
                    Jeep Doctor
                    • Apr 09, 2000

Since I have a pair of torched-in-half links from a parts-truck, I was thinking of fabbing my own; I was just concernd about the strength of the tube that would connect the two parts, since that bar can see some serious stress trying to keep our trucks from rolling over in a corner.

Did you use any specific grade of tubing? I'm only familiar with Home Depot's "cheapest-we-could-source"-quality materials, and doubted they would have anything that would stand up to our trucks.
                    1987 J-20
                    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Josh D
                      360 AMC
                      • Jan 17, 2002

Bob,
                      I got the material in that little area near "fasteners" where they sell angle iron, sheetmetal of various sizes and thicknesses (should be easy to find, all Home Depots are the same from what I've seen)etc. The tubing was seamless if I remember correctly. I wish I had a digital camera, or a scanner I'd send a pic. I'm confident the ones I built for my YJ would hold up well to the roll weight of a Wag. I believe the weak point to be the weld to the eyes. the eyes will have a seam, so weld the male and female parts over the seam for strength. My YJ is SOA with a 1" body for about 7 1/2" of lift, and I drive the thing like a sports car, with no prob. The torsion of the swaybar should absorb most the shock load to the links anyway. Be creative, use the best materials you can find, good craftsmanship, and most of all KISS (for those not in the know Keep It Simple Stupid!!)

Josh
                      '71 J2000 Gladiator
                      '95 YJ on Waggy axles
                      '80 911 Super Carrera

Comment

• Dome
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 06, 2000

Disconnects made for YJ's (square headlight wranglers) will work just fine for FSJs. I got a pair made by Warrior (most 4x4 shops will carry them) for about $80 a few years back. For the cheap price, I think they are a must for moderate to heavy 4wheeling.
                        83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
                        360, TF727, NP228
                        SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker

Comment

Working...
                        X