International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 08-06-2020, 08:26 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
How about that regulator? FiTech says it's an OEM style unit. What is the OEM application? How hard is it to reach and how much is a parts store replacement? If it's cheap enough to try and easy enough to replace, it may be worth a try.

I think it's the round silver thing on the front of the throttle body, which should make access super easy but I have no idea what part they used for it.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
I think it's the round silver thing on the front of the throttle body, which should make access super easy but I have no idea what part they used for it.
I bet you are right. I wonder if it's GM TBI, since what you have is similar to TBI in overall layout.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:07 AM
out of order

Definitely no GM TBI parts used on your system.
Quick Google search comes up with this...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/bo...gulator ,6124

I would verify with fitech. Their website states your system is 43.5psi
Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
Definitely no GM TBI parts used on your system.
Quick Google search comes up with this...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/bo...gulator ,6124

I would verify with fitech. Their website states your system is 43.5psi
Your internet skills are better than mine. I made the mistake of going to FiTech for information. Not exactly fruitful.

If that's the style, and there's an external vacuum line, you have a few ways to test it out. I think a fix is right around the corner.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:36 PM
327 Rambler

OK I've been doing some more research and it seems they use 2 different pressure regulators depending on the system. Back when I first got it their website had little to no info on what parts it used or even the pressure. Somewhere, maybe from my first contacting them I was informed that it was a 58psi system but now they say 43.5. if it is a 43.5psi system it uses a Bosch 3 bar 0280160557 regulator and the 58psi system uses a Bosch 4 bar 0280160575, they are both about $25, which isn't too bad. I've seen people say they have swapped out the 43.5 for the 58 but don't really understand why or the benefits. Fitech seem to use a lot of 0-year Volkswagen parts, at least the o2 sensor and the fuel pressure regulator seem to be.

This morning I did what Babywag suggested and disconnected the vacuum line to the pressure regulator. I've found some posts where the regulator caused this exact problem and found out that you can disconnect the vacuum with no issues and that Fitech has told people it isn't really needed. So I disconnected it, turned on the key and fuel pressure read 48psi. I started it up and fuel pressure continued to read 48psi. I revved it a little and there was no drop in pressure so I took it for a drive. It went a little further this time but just before I got home I saw the AFR start to increase and sure enough when I got in the driveway and revved it pressure dropped off sharply.

So I set to work draining the tank by first disconnecting the fuel line, then aiming it into the gas can. It only trickled out, so BINGO we found the problem! I left that running and it took about 30 to 45 minutes to fill the 5 gallon can That got it low enough for me to pull the filler hose off and get a siphon hose in there and drain the rest.

I dropped the tank, pulled the fuel pump and it had more debris in it than I think it should and possibly that was enough to cause the problem but I took the pump out of the system anyway. It's all back together now except for the pump, I will install that tomorrow after I fab a coupling so I can mount it just aft of where I have the down stream filter mounted. Hopefully it will not be as loud anymore. I think I will test the old in tank pump and see if it looks like it will work after cleaning out the debris and if it does I will hang onto it in case I ever have to do an emergency thing on the side of the road but maybe I'll just buy a spare frame mounted pump when I eventually save up enough amazon gift cards from Bing
Old 08-07-2020, 05:18 PM
out of order

coolio...progress. get a walbro reliable and not super expensive.
if you mount them wrapped in rubber with pads on bracket where it bolts to frame noise is minimal.

or get another in tank style and submerge it again...i prefer this option.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:50 AM
350 Buick

Makes sense. Full pressure that drops as you drive is debris collecting on the filter. When you shut off it drops back to the bottom Of tank and off the filter.
I put an extra ford filter between Pump and TB.

I was going to suggest you pull the hose off the TB and stick it in a 2 liter bottle and prime up.

Did they flow start off strong then get weaker as it clogged?
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 08-08-2020, 08:38 PM
327 Rambler

Sometimes it seems that if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have to luck at all.

Have you ever have one of those days?

Today started out beautiful, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and I was strangely optimistic that tomorrow I would be driving my truck to work again...well, not exactly. The sun wasn't shining, and the birds weren't singing, it was cloudy with drizzling rain but I was still optimistic.

When I got to work I didn't have that much to do and by 8:30am most of it was done except for waiting for something to break...and break it did. Basically all Hell broke loose and so much stuff broke that I didn't even get to eat lunch. I also didn't get to fab the coupling I needed because it was Saturday and the guy who has the 37 degree flare tool wasn't working.

However when I got home my wife informed me that we needed to go do some things and our route took us right by the local speed shop which was open and had no customers So I walked in and asked for the coupling I needed...and... the bin was empty but then he looked in a box of slightly used fittings and sitting right on top was the coupling I needed on top of that he sold it to me for only $4 So I was all set and when we got home I almost immediately went to work on the truck. In about 15 minutes I had the new fuel pump mounted and was ready to give it a try.

I turned on the key and checked the pressure it read 58psi, which was odd since we have established that this system should be a 43.5psi system but that is the pressure it always went to before all of this happened. So I started it up, it sounded good, everything looked good, I revved it up a couple times and it didn't seem to have any issues...then I looked under the hood and found the gauge reading 80psi

So I shut it down, verified all the settings were where they were supposed to be and started it back up. once restarted it was once again at 58psi but slowly began to build pressure until it reached 70psi. I revved it a few times which made no difference, then shut it down. I verified the original regulator is indeed a 3 bar regulator. I guess it never worked correctly, I just didn't know it because it worked at 58psi which is what I had been told it should be at.

I am guessing it would be a bad idea to drive around with the pressure that high so I just ordered a new regulator from Rock Auto. It will be here Wednesday. So I guess I'm shut down until then

Anybody have any ideas that could get me on the road as is?
Old 08-09-2020, 11:29 AM
out of order

regulator should never exceed the set point.
quick google search nets similar failures with fitech systems.
very odd that it was struggling to maintain pressure and now opposite.

any decent parts store should have one available/get one faster than rockauto if time is an issue?
I would NOT drive it like that...
Old 08-09-2020, 05:57 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
regulator should never exceed the set point.
quick google search nets similar failures with fitech systems.
very odd that it was struggling to maintain pressure and now opposite.

any decent parts store should have one available/get one faster than rockauto if time is an issue?
I would NOT drive it like that...

At this point money is more of an issue than time and I think I trust a Bosch regulator more than what is available locally, not that I have a clue about who makes good quality fuel pressure regulators, but from what I've read the Bosch is made in Germany and everybody knows the Germans make good stuff The original one is stamped "Made in China" so it seems Fitech cheaped out on that like they did their fluid temp sensors.

It is weird how I now have the complete opposite problem but like I said, it read 58psi from day one so it was never correct to begin with.

I've seen the posts about the regulators failing, often it seemed to happen immediately following sending the unit in to Fitech so perhaps these don't like to sit unused.

I don't know, hopefully the regulator will fix everything and this is a sort of blessing because I have learned things about fuel injection that I never would have without this happening and maybe I will be more willing to tweak things to make it a little more perfect, like fix that tiny little lean spike off idle, maybe I will even try to tune it a bit more to save a little more gas...or not. Maybe I will get it running ad well as I can and just enjoy driving it for a couple of years.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:55 AM
out of order

meh Bosch is global like most everyone else. Regulator could easily be chinese??
My favorite is when the parts box states "assembled" in US hahaha
I would look close for any goo/crud when you replace it.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 AM
350 Buick

hee haw:

gloom, despair, and agony on me,....

hope those F.I. issues are solved soon cranky,....

I am of NO HELP on mechanical issues.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 AM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
I am guessing it would be a bad idea to drive around with the pressure that high so I just ordered a new regulator from Rock Auto. It will be here Wednesday.
Hot darn, it's Wednesday almost all day today. I know you will, but let us know as soon as you get that regulator plugged in.

Quote:
... everybody knows the Germans make good stuff
Ha. I wonder where Vince is today...

Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 PM
327 Rambler

Well, I got the new regulator today

I was a little disappointed to see this

but I suppose Brazil is better than China

So I rushed out and installed it, fired it up and the pressure read 43.5 for probably the first time since I installed the throttlebody.

Revving it up the pressure increased slightly then settled back down to 43.

So I let it warm up and took it around the block. 2 trips around the block and it seemed to run fine, although I did see a couple of lean spikes for no apparent reason but only to 15.0 and I think that can be fixed by bumping up the accelerator pump setting.

When I got back home I checked under the hood and it was sitting a little over 40 and increased slightly when revved and seemed to run fine.

So I think we have managed to fix the problem. Thank you everybody

By the way, the old one didn't seem to have anything obvious that would have clogged or blocked it.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 08-12-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Administrator

WAS THAT THE ROCK AUTO MAGNET IN THE BOX?!?!?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
WAS THAT THE ROCK AUTO MAGNET IN THE BOX?!?!?

Yes Kind of ironic isn't it
Old 08-13-2020, 11:15 AM
out of order

Cool!
Was the old one stamped/marked with anything?
Old 08-13-2020, 04:15 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Cool!
Was the old one stamped/marked with anything?

Yes, on the front it says "Made in China" (566) and on the side "3.0 bar 17-02-22 0 280160677" I assume 17-02-22 is the date of manufacture.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:55 AM
out of order

Nice $850 system and they used a pos $10 part to cause you all kinds of grief

So lame that some companies in this day and age still sacrifice quality/reliability to save a few $.

@least it's fixed and you can
Old 08-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Agreed!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring