• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eromasik
    232 I6
    • Feb 21, 2010

Need engine help loosing my mind

Alright so long about Christmas time the waggy started to idle rough and was getting worse mileage than usual. It turned out the catalytic converter was shot. So replaced it with a new flow through cat and eliminated the air injection at the cat. It still wasn't running right so decided to rebuild the carb, found blown power valve. While it was down went ahead and replaced the thermostat, fuel filter, coil pick up in distributor, and some miscellaneous hoses. Got it all back together and it ran amazing for three days and then back to rough idle, slow take off, and died a few times at lights. So off came the carb all apart again, and again blown power valve. Rebuilt carb again, installed it idles great, except the minute you put it into gear it idles like trash and you can audibly hear a vacuum leak. What gives??? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Starting to lose my mind a little!
    1959 Willys Station Wagon
    1977 J-10
    1981 CJ-8 Scrambler
    1991 Grand Wagoneer
    2008 JK
  • addicted
    Big Meanie
    • Dec 11, 2004

Spray some carb cleaner around the base of the carb and the vacuum hoses. When it sucks the cleaner in it will change the idle and you'll know where the leak is at. I had a 2150 that did the same thing with the crap idle in gear after a rebuild. Turned out the top of the carb was warped where it sat on the main body. I used a rag to help seal the air leak to find it.
    Originally posted by Ristow
    i bet it was Simon....
    he's such big meanie that way...
    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• eromasik
      232 I6
      • Feb 21, 2010

Thanks for the carb cleaner idea. I tried propane but got no where. I just can't figure why being in gear would cause such a change in idle. I would think if the carb was warped or the like that it would idle crappy all the time. Once it's up to road speed say 20 plus it's smooth as can be, or if its in park or neutral it idles just fine. What is really wild is the audible gas escaping sound it makes when put in gear. It's like you cracked the valve on an air tank.
      1977 J-10
      1981 CJ-8 Scrambler
      1991 Grand Wagoneer
      2008 JK

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Cracked plastic phenolic carb spacer. They get brittle w/ age and if it's old, and you r&r the carb a bunch they crack easily.

BJ's has them in stock for pretty reasonable.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• eromasik
          232 I6
          • Feb 21, 2010

I replaced the spacer with a new one when I rebuilt the carb.
          1977 J-10
          1981 CJ-8 Scrambler
          1991 Grand Wagoneer
          2008 JK

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

Well

Don't assume it fixed it

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by eromasik
              I replaced the spacer with a new one when I rebuilt the carb.
              Not there can only guess....if you can hear it should be very easy to find.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Find a wall, tree or something solid you can park against and put it in gear (I put a wheel chock so it won't roll if it stalls) then see if you can find the hiss. Power brake hose maybe? Not all spacers are the same either. Some leave a spot open. If the AIR pump is still on there, the valve will open when you put it in gear if the other stuff is still attached.
                Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                X