4-wheel Disc Q's: MC, flex lines, prop valve, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

4-wheel Disc Q's: MC, flex lines, prop valve, etc.

OK, guys; I can use some help thinking through my 4-wheel disc setup. Here's what will be on each end:

Front: 1988 Dodge D60 with 2 3/8" bore calipers, stock setup.
    Rear: 1977 GM 14-bolt with Sky brackets, front 3/4-ton rotors and '77 Eldorado calipers with integral e-brake.

Going down the line, here's my questions:

* Which master-cylinder should I use to activate these four discs??? I was thinking of a '77 Eldorado MC, which would have the capacity and proper valving for the rear calipers, and being an ordinary Delco design, would bolt onto the factory power-booster. My only concern would be the capacity for the front calipers. Web-pages for disc setups have mentioned early-70's P30 (Chevy heavy van) MC's as having sufficient capacity for big-bore front calipers and for rear calipers as well. Just have to remove the residual valve for the rear circuit and go.

* Routing the lines/choosing proportioning valve.

First, the front axle: The front lines on a dodge are set up like the rear lines: flex hoses to each caliper, connected to a hard-line on the axle going to a junction-block, and a single hose from the junction block to the chassis. I could keep this setup, and bend a new line so the junction block is on the driver's-side. Then I could route a single hydraulic hose along the top of the leaf-spring up to the chassis. With that setup, I wouldn't have to worry about suspension-flex maxing out the hose-travel. The other option is to stick to the factory Jeep routing, and then just run a single long hose from the frame to each caliper individually. I'm leaning toward the Dodge setup.

Second, the combination valve: If I have a single line to the front and to the rear, I could route each line directly to the proper port on the master-cylinder, and do away with the combination valve. Besides distributing brake pressure and providing a hookup for the "Brake" warning light, the stock proportioning valve also modulates the front and rear pressure balance so that the rears don't lock up before the front. Going to all discs is going to toss the calibration of the factory modulation out the window, so I was going to simply install an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line and adjust that to prevent rear lockup. I would lose the "Brake" warning-light function, but on the rare instance that I've had that light come on, I DIDN'T need that light on to tell me I had lost my brakes!!! Other option is to buy a $99 4-wheel disc specific combination valve and stick with the factory routing. I'm leaning toward doing away with the combo valve.

Any thoughts or insights appreciated.
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

Having dual lines up front is safer. If you loose one side you will still have the other side. A lot of newer cars use a individual line for each corner, some even having cross lines going from corner to corner.

I am seriously considering going to 4wheel disc as well. My cherokee has 4 wheel drums right now with no power assist. And they work great until I drive through deep water or mud, then they wont work till they get dried out (ride break for a while).

I would like to keep the manual part of the brakes, as I love being able to stop just fine without the engine running (come in handy far to many times to switch to power). But I was also curious if my 50:50 biasing porp valve (drums dont use the 70:30 like vehicles with front disc and rear drums did) and master would work with 4 wheel disc.

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

Originally posted by Stuka:
      Having dual lines up front is safer. If you loose one side you will still have the other side. A lot of newer cars use a individual line for each corner, some even having cross lines going from corner to corner.
      Dual-lines are safer on a dual-diagonal circuit. But on our Jeeps, the two separate circuits are the front and the rear, not diagonal. The combination valve splits the front output into two separate lines, but there is no check-valve between them, so a failer in one front line also results in the loss of the other front brake. The Dodge setup simply relocates that junction from the combination valve to the front axle.

As for your combo valve, on a drum-drum setup, the combo valve does less work. It does the proportioning front-to-rear, but not in the same way as a disc-drum valve would. I would think your valve would be better for a disc-disc setup than a disc-drum combo-valve would.

As for the power vs. manual brakes, I would go power all the way. You still have some braking power when the engine dies, plus some reserve vacuum (enough for two or three brake applications).
      1987 J-20

Comment

• FSJeeper
        King of Unfinished Projects
        • May 20, 2000

I am running a tried and true combo.

80's Chevy Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear with 3/4 ton claipers. Park brake is a dual caliper disc setup on the rear yoke of the final tcase.

1.25 ton CUCV Hydroboost with an aluminum military Hummer MC.

Separate lines to front and rear. Prop valve to adjust rear brakes.

Will also be able to lock out the rear with triple shifters (doubler setup) and actuate brakes on either side of the rear axles to spin the FSJ at will on either rear wheel.

The independent rear braking option is yet to be tried but have seen the setup on other 4x4's.
        In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• Bob Barry
          Jeep Doctor
          • Apr 09, 2000

I forgot to mention the parking-brakes. I may do a line-lock to the rears in addition to the rear Caddy calipers. For the calipers, I may use separate hump-mounted hand-brakes for each caliper to double as a cutting-brake (I'm still looking for a ready-made dual-stick setup for my NP205).

Now, for the Hummer MC; do you just happen across them? I wonder if one would bolt to the factory power-booster.
          1987 J-20

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

bob:
            my Wagner brake book list ALL dodge front calipers as 3-3/32" dia!?!

i used the MC from a buick vista cruiser with 4wheel disc. ANY MC from a 4disc GM car will have the capacity for the front cals ur using. the main point to look for in ANY MC is the dia of the bore. which shood be at least 1-1/8" which is the dia of the MC dodge uses on ALL their trucks and is the same dia as what caddy used on the 76-78 eldos.

now the reason specific MCs were built for 4disc cars is to have equal size resivoirs. because calipers consume more fluid as the pads wear in comparision to drum wear.

soooooooooo, u can keep ur OE jeep disc/drum MC, if its bore dia is 1 1/8. just keep a special eye on the fluid level on the rear resivoir.

now 4disc will need more power assit than 4drums or disc/drums. ie urll need hydro boost or dual diaphrams. i used the dual power booster off a later j20, wood bolt up to ur OE MC just fine and to ur fire wall too. but u shood keep ur OE diaphram and see how that works for ur for now.

for 4 brakes of the same type (drum/drum, disc/disc) u dont need a proportional valve (PV)cuz the brakes react and grip in the same fashion. the technique to keep the rear rotors from locking up was to have the rear cals smaller than the fronts, (u did see this as the reason most OE 4disc cars have smaller cals in rear...right?) even 4drum cars have the larger wheel cyls in the front compare to the back and they dont have PVs to boot. HOWEVER, its best to just add the adjustable PV to the rear line.

if ur OE brake lines are in good condition u can keep them, i did. the only addition u need is to install a small flex hose to the rears so the rear cals can be removed ez and they do move a bit as the pads wear. u dont even have to install nu lines as the small flex hoses will thread onto ur ole drum lines.

if u have a line lock, use it on the fronts. no sense haveing 2 lockable brake devices on the same end of the jeep.

all thru the 70s P30 vans had AT LEAST 1-1/4" dia MCs and some with 9klbs+ GVW had the optional 1-3/4" dia MCs. but the standard P30 vans had front cals with a dia of 2-15/16 with the larger GVWs having the 3-3/8! but the larger MCs were on the motor home chassis.
            Ken's:
            1966 Super Wagoneer
            5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
            (Soon to be TBI)
            "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

stuka:
              when going to 4discs just pull the front parts from another 74+ FSJ. u may need the outer stub axles, not sure. i do like the TCM kit for the rear axle, thats what i use. its a bolt on and fits up nice. just add the rear cali of ur choice and go.

if u go disc u gonna NEED power assist. manual front disc brakes lasted just a few years on FSJs. have u ever SEEN a manual 4disc vehicle ?!?
              Ken's:
              1966 Super Wagoneer
              (Soon to be TBI)

Comment

• Bob Barry
                Jeep Doctor
                • Apr 09, 2000

Originally posted by Kenall:
                bob:
                my Wagner brake book list ALL dodge front calipers as 3-3/32" dia!?!
                This is an axle off an '88 Dodge D600, which may not be in a light-truck catalog. I've seen the 2 3/8" bore caliper listed in an online catalog as the application for a 4500lb front axle (which I gather is the D60), whereas the 2 3/32" caliper is for the 3500lb front axle (a HD44, I gather).
                1987 J-20

Comment

• tuck
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 29, 2001

stuka:
                  have u ever SEEN a manual 4disc vehicle ?!?
                  yup! my '72 waggy! i have a 10 bolt front, 14 bolt rear, stock hard lines and a corvette master cylinder. my power booster is out.. so it's manual. It stops pretty good, especially considering that I don't have a proportioning valve, and my brake bleeding skills are probably less than par. I stops quick, doesn't pull to either side, and if pressed hard enough it will lock up.. I'm pretty pleased...

about the booster... it would be nice, especially when idling around in traffic or on a trail. however... I didn't want a system that i wouldn't be able to use w/o the engine running. i may add a booster in the future, but i'm fine for now.

i drive a '00 vw jetta, and its 4 wheel discs feel the same with or without the motor running.. and it's a good feeling. that's what i would like in my jeep...
                  1972 Wagoneer 360/th400/dana20/10b/14b/35\'s... welded diffs, full hydro and so on..

Comment

• Bob Barry
                    Jeep Doctor
                    • Apr 09, 2000

now 4disc will need more power assit than 4drums or disc/drums. ie urll need hydro boost or dual diaphrams. i used the dual power booster off a later j20, wood bolt up to ur OE MC just fine and to ur fire wall too. but u shood keep ur OE diaphram and see how that works for ur for now.
                    I've already got the '78 J-20 dual-diaphragm booster on there now, so that should be good to go.
                    1987 J-20

Comment

• Stuka
                      • Jan 21, 2001

Originally posted by tuck:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kenall:
                      stuka:
                      have u ever SEEN a manual 4disc vehicle ?!?
                      yup! my '72 waggy! i have a 10 bolt front, 14 bolt rear, stock hard lines and a corvette master cylinder. my power booster is out.. so it's manual. It stops pretty good, especially considering that I don't have a proportioning valve, and my brake bleeding skills are probably less than par. I stops quick, doesn't pull to either side, and if pressed hard enough it will lock up.. I'm pretty pleased...

about the booster... it would be nice, especially when idling around in traffic or on a trail. however... I didn't want a system that i wouldn't be able to use w/o the engine running. i may add a booster in the future, but i'm fine for now.

i drive a '00 vw jetta, and its 4 wheel discs feel the same with or without the motor running.. and it's a good feeling. that's what i would like in my jeep...
                      </font>[/QUOTE]Thats what I was hoping for. The manual master cylinder has a different setup then the power master. Its designed to give the pedal the same effect without as much force.

I was pretty sure the porp valve would work being the disc require the same pressure to do their job. So now I just need to decide whether i should do this to my current D44's, or find a set of J20 axles to do it to. I really want the J20 axles, I just cant find any!

Which brings me to another question, how much are rear disc kits for a D60-3?

Comment

• 80258WT
                        232 I6
                        • May 05, 2003

you guys know your brake :o:o:o:oe, the only thing i have to add is that line locks are not a good idea for a daily driver. They have been known to lock up not very common but if you were driving down the highway with them and they locked up then the family driving next to you would be in bad shape.
                        60\'s and 40\" mtr\'s

Comment

• AMX factor
                          360 AMC
                          • Apr 06, 2003

Instead of a line lock you can add a 1/4" heavy duty ball valve in the rear line. Step on the brake, turn the ball valve on, let off brake. Pressure is trapped behind ball valve and holds back brakes. We used to use these on farm tractors.
                          "I'm sick of this sickness, don't touch me you'll get this."
                          1984 GWag "orphan" for sale
                          2 x 1975 Matador "murder machines"
                          1970 SST390 Javelin 10 yr project!

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

great bob,
                            if u have the dual booster and the 1-1/8" dia MC then u need to install ur adjustable rear PV and the rear kit, and ur done [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            Ken's:
                            1966 Super Wagoneer
                            (Soon to be TBI)

Comment

• Midnightwagon
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 06, 2002

wouldnt the proportioning valve from a eldo work?? i mean the had 4 wheel disks, thats where we get all the calipers from. i figger if you could get the proportioning valve from the eldo, the master cylinder from a similar disk brake vehicle, if you want to keep manual brakes then i dunno what to do, but for the power i would also use the master cylinder from the eldo. uhm there must be something im not getting here because to me it sounds like a simple parts interchange but theres always something hidden.
                              jeremy
                              my jeep has gone to that great big salvage yard in the sky

Comment

Working...
                              X