• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • []V[]AXX
    350 Buick
    • Nov 10, 2009

J10 Hub conversion

My '79 has Dana 44's on both ends, and I'm looking for a hub conversion kit to convert it over. I checked out the Warn kit, but it's pricey. This thread is to see if any of you have any experience with this conversion, and what your favorite conversion kits are. I've seen Mile Marker, Warn and a couple others, but have no experience with them. I'm looking for the cheapest kit that's good quality. This isn't a crawler, its just a basic pickup that'll see a little off road duty, and maybe beach running. So, what are good kits and where can I get them? BJ's isn't showing a conversion kit on their site, just hubs and hub parts. Unless I looked in the wrong place...?

Last edited by []V[]AXX; 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM.
  • []V[]AXX
    350 Buick
    • Nov 10, 2009

wow, thread isn't showing..

Comment

• J300Zack
      232 I6
      • Oct 15, 2007

I'm curious about this topic too. As much as I like not having to get out of my waggy to go into 4 wheel drive, i have heard of a 1-2 mpg increase when switching to manual hubs.....
      '65 J300 Thriftside, Cummins Tow Rig (Sittin' in the field)
      '97 Tj 4.6L Stroker, locked, and rock rashed (Current DD)
      '86 Waggy, 360, Ax-15, Np231 (For Sale)
      '04 CBR 600RR, (Got to drive something fast)

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Yeah..you just buy the hubs, remove the drive flanges that are in there, and install them.

Superwinch hubs are cheaper. Grew up near the plant in Putnam, CT, and they are a good shop. Should be around 80 bux.
        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• []V[]AXX
          350 Buick
          • Nov 10, 2009

seriously, just pull the cap and the guts and install them? a guy I talked to down here said that he had to change his spindles too. He had a Chevy K5 though... Superwinch was cheaper than Warn and about the same as Mile Marker. One guy said that the Mile Marker are junk, had no input as to Superwinch, and said Warn was godly....I have to wonder if it's just the name..

Comment

• []V[]AXX
            350 Buick
            • Nov 10, 2009

Ok, I just looked up the instructions for the Warn kit. Superwinch does not yet post the installation instructions online. I only need the standard kit. The other kit is for auto locking hubs that have the 3 bolts retaining the outer cap. It requires a special inner lock. My standard hubs just need to be dropped in and tightened down. That's good news.

I would still be interested on opinions of the various hub manufacturers and kits out there if anyone has any suggestions or comments. Thank you.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by J300Zack
              i have heard of a 1-2 mpg increase when switching to manual hubs.....
              this is mostly myth in my humble opinion

Maxx - Do you have a stock QuadraTrac in your 79 J10? If yes, why would you put manual hubs on it?
              We have 2 FSJs with MileMarker hubs and have been happy with them.
              Last edited by fulsizjeep; 12-10-2009, 02:58 AM.
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• threepiece
                350 Buick
                • Sep 17, 2005

If your vehicle still has the original equipment and has an auto trans, it has a quadratrack transfer-case. I believe the hub converson is not as simple as replacing the hub contents. I think there is a conversion to the transfer-case that should be done as well. I have never done this conversion but I have heard of people who have only converted the hubs on Qtrack equiped FSJ's and not the T-case without problems (although I don't know for how long).
                Dan
                FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                Resistance is not futile yet.
                Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• freeincolorado
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jul 27, 2009

My Jeep has Superwinch hubs installed by PO. They seem to be ok. The right side is a little harder to turn than the left. I think I need to pull them off and repack with grease, other than that they work fine. Of course I have a 208 t-case not Q-trac.
                  Tom
                  1989 Grand Wagoneer:
                  One problem a time.

I aim to misbehave.

Comment

• Tornado230
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 14, 2008

I agree that the mileage increase is overstated.
                    I have free-wheeling hubs on the J-20, but leave them in the locked position.
                    The only time I dis-engage them is when I take them off to grease the bearings.
                    I have watched people pull to the edge of the paving, get out, lock the hubs, drive around a little in the "dirt", come back to the paving, and dis-engage the hubs.
                    I have had fewer problems with axle u-joints by keeping the front end locked in.

Comment

• Thomas792
                      327 Rambler
                      • Sep 16, 2007

I have never converted a Q-Trac t-case for unlocked front hubs. All my t-cases in my Jeeps have been part time units. I'm pretty sure that you have to install a MileMarker kit so that it stops sending the power to the front axle. With the Q-Trac in its factory configuration it splits the power to the front and rear through a set of cone washers that will wear out REALLY quickly if the front is unlocked. I've heard of people just driving in E-Drive but again, I have no experience with this.
                      1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
                      Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• Casey
                        • Oct 08, 2003

Originally posted by Thomas792
                        I have never converted a Q-Trac t-case for unlocked front hubs. All my t-cases in my Jeeps have been part time units. I'm pretty sure that you have to install a MileMarker kit so that it stops sending the power to the front axle. With the Q-Trac in its factory configuration it splits the power to the front and rear through a set of cone washers that will wear out REALLY quickly if the front is unlocked. I've heard of people just driving in E-Drive but again, I have no experience with this.
                        Yep.

Installing the hubs is as easy as Gambler described...take out flanges and install new locking hubs.

But, don't drive it with the hubs unlocked while not in E-drive. Make dang sure your QT case is in good working order or you'll be searching IFSJA for a replacement.

The mileage thing is a myth when you use the FSJ factor.
                        1994 YJ
                        1986 Comanche
                        '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                        www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                        "Go forth and be a tool".
                        Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
                        This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

Yeah you can drive in just E-drive 2WD with the front disengaged. I drove one around for 6 months with the front shaft OFF and it worked great as a last ditch lets keep the jeep moving' type of thing.

replaced both qt and th400 after that though

I see you guys are wondering about the AUTO hubs..yeah I don't think they work with our jeeps.
                          1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                          1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• jaber
                            Dragin Az
                            • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by Gambler68
                            Yeah you can drive in just E-drive 2WD with the front disengaged. I drove one around for 6 months with the front shaft OFF and it worked great as a last ditch lets keep the jeep moving' type of thing.
                            Drove a QT J-10 for over 2 years like this. It sucks in the snow, but does great everywhere else as a DD.
                            I just put a QT w/ part time into the J and will be doing the hubs very soon.
                            This thread just saved me from asking the same dumb question....
                            Jeff

'43 cj2a
                            '51 Willys p/u
                            '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                            '68 Panel Delivery
                            '74 CJ5
                            '75 J-20 Wrecker
                            '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                            '77 J-10 p/u
                            '79 Cherokee
                            '88 Grand Wagoneer
                            '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
                              Gone,But not Forgotten.
                              • Apr 09, 2005

I only thing different about the big three hub companies is the "look". I've seen a lot of guys here in the mountains with the "junk" standard one's and the "awesome" brass ones, there all plastic or pot metal under the cap. If one wants their hubs to last.....service them....service them....service them. If you can't turn the knob at 10 below with just you fingers, then it time for a parts washer and some good dead dinosaur juice....

Jason in the Mountains
                              1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
                              1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
                              1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
                              1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
                              1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
                              1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

Working...
                              X