• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoggerFogger
    232 I6
    • Jul 31, 2017

Windshield Installation report

I called 5 different glass shops to put a new windshield in my Jeep. They were all referring me to other shops in a circle. I finally got one shop to sell me the glass, seal, and sealant, and they were willing to walk me through the process of how to do it. I figured if I can replace the whole drivetrain, I can replace some glass.

They said it would take 2 guys most of a day and they can't make any money doing it.

It took me 10 min to apply sealant to the groove in the seal, and 32 min to put the glass in by myself. I was all proud and satisfied with myself. I even set up my phone on a tripod and video recorded the whole thing. As soon as I can figure out how to edit the video to 4x speed, I'll upload it to youtube for your entertainment. It's really not too exciting, especially when my butt is in the camera with my boxers hanging out.

I thought putting the chrome trim was going to be another 10-15 min, but that's where it got difficult. I didn't time it or record it, but I'd guess it was 3 hours before I got it seated correctly. The trim hooks in a little lip on the seal. The trick is to use soapy water and some 16g plastic coated auto wire in the groove to hold the lip out while you seat the trim on the lip.

The old guy at the glass shop told me about using para cord, but I swear he was talking about seating the glass with it. Besides that, he told me to put the seal on the glass first then use cord to put it in the frame. I did the opposite. It seemed like it would be messy trying to fight the sealant and the whole assembly at the same time.

Anyway, glass is in and it looks great. Glass $150, Seal $90, Sealant, $9.

-Kevin

1972 Wagoneer > Isuzu 4BD1t > 4L80E > D300 > D44
    www.civilrock.com/72-Wagoneer
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

that does looks great! good on you for gettin it done!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

Do you know the Brand of the glass and seal?
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

Yes more detail please. I need glass in my build very soon. Everyone in the area is also giving me excuses and says no. Every windshield I have tried to save I have cracked. Your post gives me hope I might be able to do it. Definitely be checking back here soon.
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra
        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
        Keep a small violin, There is always a worse story than your own

Comment

• jpcoutts
          304 AMC
          • Jun 28, 2002

Congrats on getting it done. Too bad people in business these days seem to prefer cherry picking the easy jobs they're familiar with and won't try to learn something new/different. I'm glad you got the trim done, I've heard it can be tricky.
          Jim C
          '67 J3000 Dually
          '86 J20
          '79 CJ5(in pieces)
          '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
          Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

thanks for sharing - the chrome in itself is a accomplishment

trip
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• JoggerFogger
              232 I6
              • Jul 31, 2017

I'm trying to edit together a video, but it's not working. Instead of trying to speed up 32 min of video, I'm trying to just take clips of key moments.

The video editor on my phone is better than the one on my 10 year old computer, but it's struggling to render the final job.

I always like seeing someone actually do it rather than instructions.

I realized as I was editing the footage that I might have techniques and methods that are not typical or traditional to a window installer. Like standing on the tranny hump in the cab with my body out the window installing the gasket. Or standing on the windshield wiper area and using my toes to push the glass up while manipulating the top seal. Or standing on the engine to push on the lower seal. Stuff like that.

-Kevin

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

If you show us how it's done, I don't care if those techniques involve voodoo rituals and the selling of our first born children: If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid!!
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

Yea ditto on all Rang said. I am looking forward to anything on it. Also where you ordered the glass and gasket from.

Funny, a decade ago all you could find was a gasket that did not accept trim and that is what I needed. I should have ordered it as now all you can find is a gasket that does take the trim. Go figure.

Anyway thank you Kevin for the efforts.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

• SJTD
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 26, 2012

Post up the video you have. People can always fast forward themselves if they tire of looking at your a..., um, at you.
                    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• JoggerFogger
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 31, 2017

Ok. Tried a different Android app. Worked very well. Sorry for the canned music. I wanted to hide my grunting noises.

Last edited by JoggerFogger; 08-29-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• SJTD
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 26, 2012

I didn't see you putting any goo in either the body groove or the glass groove.

Nor did I see a big mess from it that you had to clean up.

Did you use any?
                        Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• JoggerFogger
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 31, 2017

I squirted a 1/4" bead in the seal groove that goes on the metal frame off camera. It was not exciting and didn't make the cut.

It squirted out excessively in only a few spots (also not filmed) but I was able to inspect the application when I pulled the seal to put it on the right way.

Kevin.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                            I got the Willys....
                            • Jun 21, 2005

I'm surprised non the the glass shops would touch it. These are very easy windshields to replace. Must be all young guys at the shops with no experience with older vehicles I guess.
                            Thomas Russell
                            1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                            1971 Gladiator
                            J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                            1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                              360 AMC
                              • Oct 02, 2002

Thanks for the video. Poured some coffee and watched.
                              I have found one place online to purchase the glass. 168 bucks. Just curious on where you got the glass? I see seals in a few places so that should not be an issue. The video made it look easy. I have plastic trim tools and should be good to go. Thanks.
                              Melford1972 says...
                              -----------------------
                              I make wag parts
                              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                              1968 M715 restomod
                              2001 Dodge 3500
                              2002 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Working...
                              X