• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panther
    350 Buick
    • Aug 13, 2000

Wide trac axles in a Wag(8 posts)

I went to a jeep junk yard yesterday that had 25-30 J's, Chero's and Wags and I started getting some ideas....

I'm thinking about doing front and rear axle swaps when I do the lift. I could do one of 2 things:
    1) Go with wide trac J10 axles, that have hubs, 3.31's and have the diff on the drivers side. Don't know what to do about the rear because the J10 didn't have a rear in it and all the other wide trac axles were in Chero's with offset rear diffs. So I would need to find a wide trac rear with centered diff, what was the 80+ rear in J10's, a model 20?

2) Go with J20 axles. There was a rear dana 60 full floater with 3.73's and 30 spline shafts. I could take the front axle out of the of the J10 and use the outers that I have to convert it to 8 lug from 6 lug. I also have an extra R&P to change it to 3.73. Is there a way to put manual hubs on the J20 frontend?

So you say, "why go through all this trouble"? That's a good question and my only answer is that I'm a nut. But the idea is to cut out the wheel wells and go with the flares off a J or Chero. That way I can fit a bigger tire without lifting TOO much. Also I really like the "flares" on the wide trac FSJ's. Also I like wider axles.

Another thing I was tinking about was using the rear springs on the J10 on the rear of my Wag. They have the extra "load" spring to help with towing and spring wrap and would probably provide a little lift.

Has anyone does this before? Any insite or obstacles I should anticipate?

So what do you think SJ10 or SJ20 ?

Oh this is for a 88 Wag.

ClarkGriswald wrote:
    I think I hear this question about everytime I talk to people about my wag. Some people just dont get it. hehhe

scotty wrote:
    the only problem with adding the fender flares is the rear doors. i had to cut a substantial amount out of my rear doors to fit my tires. if i wanted it to look respectable,i would add the flare,and just make it 2 parts,so that the doors could still open.or,you could shave the handles,and leave them permantly closed-manufacture your own 2 door.
    the front 44 on the j10 and j20 are the same,'cept for 8 lug rotors. as you stated,you can swap everyting from the knuckles out to use either 6 or 8,dep. on your needs.

the 30 spline full floating dana 60 is alot stronger than the 44 or amc 20,and worth doing except for the 8 lug pattern. 8 lug 3/4 and 1 ton trucks use 16.5 inch wheels that dont have any type of safety bead,making the tire much more likely to pop off the wheel if you run low pressure. there are a fair selectionof tires for 16.5 wheels,but the selection for 16.5 aftermarket wheels is not so great. it is possible to use 8 lug 15 inch wheels,but some grinding onthe front calipers will be neccessary for clearance.

whatever way you go,i think the extra width and stability of the widetrac axles is worth the hassle. also,like you,i like the looks of the flares on widetrac trucks.

you can put the locking hubs on either front end,they should be the same.

Bob Barry wrote:
    First things first: Where is this junkyard located? E-mail me off-list at mailto:[email protected]
    Up to 1986; if you can find a late-'86 onward J-10, it would have a centered D44. I believe the spring perches are wider apart, though, since the frame splayed out for the J-trucks.
    While the rotors are different part #'s due to the # of lugs, everything else is the same for both Wags and J-trucks, -10's and -20's. The stock "Selective Drive" hubs would work, as would any aftermarket replacements.
    You don't need to explain it to us; the wider stance give you more turning and articulation clearance at the frame.

Good amount of body-work involved in that job.
    Yup, a stiffer spring would give you more lift in back. It would also be stiffer-riding, and may give you a pain in your back...
    posted August 19, 2000 01:00 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Panther:
    I went to a jeep junk yard yesterday that had 25-30 J's, Chero's and Wags and I started getting some ideas....

First things first: Where is this junkyard located? E-mail me off-list at mailto:[email protected]

quote:
    I'm thinking about doing front and rear axle swaps when I do the lift. I could do one of 2 things:
    1) Go with wide trac J10 axles, that have hubs, 3.31's and have the diff on the drivers side. Don't know what to do about the rear because the J10 didn't have a rear in it and all the other wide trac axles were in Chero's with offset rear diffs. So I would need to find a wide trac rear with centered diff, what was the 80+ rear in J10's, a model 20?

Up to 1986; if you can find a late-'86 onward J-10, it would have a centered D44. I believe the spring perches are wider apart, though, since the frame splayed out for the J-trucks.

quote:
    2) Go with J20 axles. There was a rear dana 60 full floater with 3.73's and 30 spline shafts. I could take the front axle out of the of the J10 and use the outers that I have to convert it to 8 lug from 6 lug. I also have an extra R&P to change it to 3.73. Is there a way to put manual hubs on the J20 frontend?

While the rotors are different part #'s due to the # of lugs, everything else is the same for both Wags and J-trucks, -10's and -20's. The stock "Selective Drive" hubs would work, as would any aftermarket replacements.

quote:
    So you say, "why go through all this trouble"? That's a good question and my only answer is that I'm a nut. But the idea is to cut out the wheel wells and go with the flares off a J or Chero. That way I can fit a bigger tire without lifting TOO much. Also I really like the "flares" on the wide trac FSJ's. Also I like wider axles.

You don't need to explain it to us; the wider stance give you more turning and articulation clearance at the frame.

Good amount of body-work involved in that job.

quote:
    Another thing I was tinking about was using the rear springs on the J10 on the rear of my Wag. They have the extra "load" spring to help with towing and spring wrap and would probably provide a little lift.

Yup, a stiffer spring would give you more lift in back. It would also be stiffer-riding, and may give you a pain in your back...

quote:
    Has anyone does this before? Any insite or obstacles I should anticipate?

There is an image of just such a job at:

And since the image has the name and location of the owner, maybe you could track him down?

andy d wrote:[QUOTE]Originally posted by Panther:
    [b]I went to a jeep junk yard yesterday that had 25-30 J's, Chero's and Wags and I started getting some ideas...
    i live in Marshfield,i'd love to know the location of the junkyard too.TIA

Panther wrote:
    Ok guys, but you have to promise not to take my axleArmitage Auto Parts
    1143 South Street (1A)
    Wrentham, MA 02093

Exit 15 off 495
    508-384-2967

His prices aren't very good but he has a TON of FSJ's. And like most junk years, he's kind of a strange cat.

scotty,
    Good point on the flares, I guess I forgot that J's and Chero's don't have 4 doors I'd have to try and figure something out, does anyone make an aftermarket replacement flare for the wide trac FSJ's? Bushwacker's website is useless...
    I'd have to look at the outers on the front 44 to see what I have to do to fit 15" tires, cause like you said, can't air down w/ 16.5's. But you say grind the calipers a little?

Bob,
    Are those J10 rear springs alot stiffer than the aftermarket rear 4" springs? If so I might have to figure something else out.

Thanks for all the input.

Lee

Panther wrote:
    I just found a great write up on the J20 axle swap into a wagoneer. Check this out!
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

scotty wrote:
    this is maybe apples and oranges,but a friend had a 1/2 converted to 3/4 ton longbed chevy pickup with a big gm corp 14 bolt(10.5 inch ring gear,removeable pinion,full floating massive 30 spline axles) and a 44 in the front that had been converted to 8 lug.the 8 lug 15 inch wheels barely fit the drums in the back,and required some minor grinding to the front calipers.
    im keeping my eyeballs peeled for some cheap 8 lug 15 ich,10 inch wide rims. as soon as i find some,im gonna swap in gm 1 ton axles(as soon as i find a good deal on thosemtoo,of course...)

ive got 2 sets of 38x15.5 15 ich tires. it would be silly for me to consider using a 16 r 16.5 inch wheel.

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: irbob ]</p>
Working...
X