• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Battle_Wagon_NJ
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 08, 2005

New Jersey State Parks - Proposed Regulation Change

The Division of Parks and Forestry of New Jersey is proposing regulation changes regarding "off road vehicles." On its face it concerns Dirt Bikes, ATV's, and large military surplus vehicles, but the proposed regulation is worded poorly and vague. The proposal can be seen here:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals/20120716a.pdf

Comments on the proposal can be made here: http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/comments/ by September 14th.

The way this is written, you are guilty of a violation just for operating a vehicle that LOOKS like it could cause damage, regardless of whether you are driving responsibly or not:

"(e) Except in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:2-3.4(d), a person shall not operate or permit the
    operation on or over lands or in or on waters under the jurisdiction of the State Park
    Service of a motorized vehicle likely to cause damage or injury to persons, wildlife, or
    property within the jurisdiction of the State Park Service. Such vehicles include, but are
    not limited to, a motor vehicle having more than two axles and capability of four-wheel
    drive, an ATV, military-designed or surplus vehicle (whether or not modified for civilian
    use), or an unlicensed or unregistered motor vehicle."

Are established unimproved roadways included in these "lands"? Who will be the judge of if your vehicle is "likely to cause damage"? A LEO who thinks all owners of lifted trucks, Jeeps, and dual sport bikes are outlaws? And if "such vehicles include but are not limited to" how long will it be before other vehicles (all vehicles?) are lumped in? This regulation needs to read "persons shall not operate a vehicle IN A MANNER that is likely to cause damage." Since when are we guilty of a violation only by our mere presence, without actually having done anything?

How about we have enforcement of the regulations that already exist?

Will M715's be banned because they are military surplus, even though there are civilian pickup trucks and SUV's with greater GVW?

1986 Grand Wagoneer, HEI, 4" spring lift, 31" BFG tires, vintage warn winch, 100k mi (mint when I bought it in 2001, now - not so much!)
    The Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Someone you know used to drive one of these. Ask me about Mid-Atlantic Full Size Jeep Club events.
  • Battle_Wagon_NJ
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 08, 2005

Outlaw!

For example, the owner of this Dodge would be in violation of the new regulation... for parking his truck at this State Park. He's on the grass too! Eek!
    1986 Grand Wagoneer, HEI, 4" spring lift, 31" BFG tires, vintage warn winch, 100k mi (mint when I bought it in 2001, now - not so much!)
    The Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Someone you know used to drive one of these. Ask me about Mid-Atlantic Full Size Jeep Club events.

Comment

• Bill J
      232 I6
      • May 25, 2005

I am still digging into this but I did find that regarding Island Beach State Park (IBSP), they are looking to limit 4 x 4 RV's like a Ford E350 Class B Motorhome's, and deuce and 1/2's, and Hummers, due to the environmental impact. I am not saying I necessarily agree with this. I will say that having been to IBSP, a lot of the campers are not actively fishing as the rules say and they are trying to limit this. In my limited experience at that park, the LEO's are usually OK, I was fishing with a 3 day permit (no bumper sticker, only a dash card) and the LEO asked where my permit was, I told him I had a 3 day, and asked if he wanted to see it, and he said, no and moved on. We were fishing and not causing a ruckus. Another time we walked on and my than 2 year old son was sleeping in the middle of the day and he was in a 3 sided shelter and the LEO almost made us take it down as tents (camping) is not allowed. I would say in most cases if you are doing the right thing they will be OK, but regardless of how carefully you drive a deuce is likely gonna cause some damage. I do wish they would be more clear on their intentions. Resources are limited and enforcement is hard.
      1989 Grand Wagoneer, Sold
      1997 Wrangler TJ
      2004 Honda Accord
      2012 Honda Odyssey

?This car is a squadron of nuts and bolts flying together in loose formation.? - Colin Beer

www.colinmichaelfund.org

Comment

• Headhoncho
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Oct 11, 2006

Tomorrow is the last day to submit comments. Even if you are not a New Jersey resident, but live near by and use the State parks and forests, please submit your opposition to this poorly worded regulation.
        [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
        1966 mustang fastback
        '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Bill J
          232 I6
          • May 25, 2005

Done. Don't want to lose what little access we do have.
          1989 Grand Wagoneer, Sold
          1997 Wrangler TJ
          2004 Honda Accord
          2012 Honda Odyssey

?This car is a squadron of nuts and bolts flying together in loose formation.? - Colin Beer

www.colinmichaelfund.org

Comment

Working...
          X