• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zorm
    304 AMC
    • Apr 08, 1997

Ford 360/390 or 351

After building a 4.7 stroker straight 6, modifying my T176 for the CPS, gathering up most of the stuff I need, I might sell it all for a ford 351 or 360 with the tranny and xfr case.
    Anyone try and fit one of these in their FSJ?
    83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

which 351? the windsor would go in easy.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• trellis8
      Ristows' Minion
      • Jan 16, 2007

Originally posted by Ristow
      which 351? the windsor would go in easy.
      Only one worth installing.
      1979 Widetrack Cherokee, 1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1985 Grand Wagoneer, 1973 J4000, 1982 Mustang GT, 1999 Chevy C2500 xcab, 2001 Chevy Van, 2000 Ford Expedition, 1989 F250 plow and 1951 Desoto Deluxe

Comment

• Zorm
        304 AMC
        • Apr 08, 1997

Actually, I would like to find a 351C motor, tranny, xfr case complete. Found a 390 like that but I agree, the 351 seems it would be easier to swap in.
        83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

• Tatsadasayago
          350 Buick
          • May 15, 2009

X2 Windsor.

And I don't like Phords much.
          Jim
          KY7DX/6
          76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
          77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

• trellis8
            Ristows' Minion
            • Jan 16, 2007

I really like the FE big blocks and you can find a lot of trans/t case combos to go with, but I like the 351 Windsor better for a Jeep swap. They ran Windsors in trucks until '97, lots around. The Cleveland was designed and built for racing. Kind of a pig on the street, no vacuum. Any way you go would be cool, I've always been a Ford guy, after Jeeps, of course.
            1979 Widetrack Cherokee, 1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1985 Grand Wagoneer, 1973 J4000, 1982 Mustang GT, 1999 Chevy C2500 xcab, 2001 Chevy Van, 2000 Ford Expedition, 1989 F250 plow and 1951 Desoto Deluxe

Comment

• draglink
              350 Buick
              • Aug 17, 2008

I have thought about this swap also. I have a built 360 in my '75 F150. Love that motor!

I have had Ford's all my life(my oldest son is named Ford ), everything from 240/300 sixes up to 460 and Powerstroke.
              Besides the diesel, my two favorite engines are a mild 302 I had in a '64 Falcon, a built 351W in a '76 Bronco, and my current mild build 360FE in my '75

never had a Cleveland. My buddy swapped one into his '77 F150 and it is a beast...I love that truck!

KEEP US POSTED!!
              '86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

i'd find a 400.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• addicted
                  Big Meanie
                  • Dec 11, 2004

Stroked 302. Small, light and 302's are everywhere and can often be found fairly built for cheap from the Mustang guys. Though the 351W is a nice engine.
                  i bet it was Simon....
                  he's such big meanie that way...
                  please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

Ferds :-)

Hey Zorm-

You might already know all this stuff, if so, sorry about the list...just
                    listing what I've had/dealt with, Ford wise-

Have had a few Ferds over the years, the guys are right about the SBF's, the fitment would probably be easier, probably easier on parts/wallet, too.

260/302- super compact, old as dirt, easy parts, way up to late stuff.

351W- bit physically bigger, torquey, interesting hop-up possibilities-
                    the strange term 'Clevor' come to mind :-) Even had EFI way late, if you want that sort of thing.

351C- had a 4V eons ago. With the right fuel, it hauled...without it, death rattle...10.7:1 compression, stock (early 1970 engine) The 2V's can be made to haul the mail, lots of new options now(CHI heads/bits from Down Under).

Bring some cash, Clevelands aren't cheap, and most 'parts hustlers' will try to tell you it's all 'Boss Mustang' stuff- baloney...my 10.7 job came stock in my old Mercury. The 2V heads are actually a bit more street friendly, and alot cheaper.

The only 400's I've owned, were total dogs, even a doggone near mint condition one. Watch out for ones from MCC (Michigan Casting Center),
                    known for splitting the valley. The 351M is a weird 70's relation, Ford was doing really strange things in the 70's...read about the factory 'crank swap'.
                    But with enough research, and decent parts even both these engines can run well. Again, unless you got friends, Clevelands aren't cheap.

FE's....these things can pull. Dealing with them now (OT vehicle). Lots of new parts now, you'd be amazed, in combinations not available in a long time. 360's can be doggy, pistons are way down in the hole...but, they will pull. If you've got any real interest at all, get on "FordFE.com", huge amount of experience, and help. FE can stand for 'Freaking Expensive", not one of Ford's cheaper engines to deal with, but fascinating, and very successful engine series. Watch out for the 'half a head' business, it's easy to develop water/vacuum/oil leaks if you don't pay attention...and unless you are a really strong dude, get some help pulling that iron intake off, especially if you're leaning over a fender- it isn't light.

If I was gonna swap a Ford into my Wag, I'd probably go for an FE build, 1960's style, just because I like that kinda thing, and that time in auto history. Second choice would be really out there- a Y-block...but I'm a dinosaur and love early engines...nothing sounds like a Y with true duals.

FWIW, a 429/460- Way cheaper than an FE, easier to make more power,
                    lots of parts and easier to get. Physically pretty big, even compared to FE.
                    But you could probably find a late EFI 460 easy if you wanted it out of a 4x4 truck.

Whatever you choose, good luck with it, it would be pretty wild to see a FSJ with an FE in it. Not a belly button swap at all

Comment

• Ristow
                      • Jan 20, 2006

a guy here put a 460 in his GW. it looked good in there.

Comment

• Chumley360
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 06, 2007

There was a '63 Ford 352FE in my M715 when I got it. I rebuilt it and had it in until I started over on the truck. Some of the other M715 guys have various FEs in their rigs. The big talk about is with the exhaust manifolds, but Sanderson headers for early 60s Galaxies work really well.

I've got a couple pics here:
                        1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• JERSEY JOE
                          304 AMC
                          • Jan 15, 2004

460 IN A FSJ

RISTOW A 460 IN AN FSJ SOUNDS LIKE AN INTERESTING PROJECT. IF I WANTED A GAS TORQUE MONSTER IT WOULD BE MY CHOICE.
                          1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 IHC D300 FARM TRUCK NY
                          1985 CJ 7 AMC 401, CLARK 285SV 5 SPEED, DANA 60, DANA 44, RUBICON 4.5 LIFT. 37 KRAWLERS
                          1987 J-20 401 90% COMPLETED.
                          1985 J-20 360 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck
                          1986 J-20 360 stock well rusted plow truck
                          1970 AMX CURRENT PROJECT

Comment

• DieselSJ
                            304 AMC
                            • May 19, 2003

390 would be a torque monster. If you go 351, go Windsor and not Cleveland - leave the C-motors to the drag race guys. Windsor will be much more suited based on where it makes its power. But given a choice, I'd go for the 390. A friend had one in a '69 F250 running on 42" tires and that engine had no problem spinning all 4. Add some type of TBI EFI and that would be a wicked combination in a FSJ.

Or listen to bmax and go 429/460.

There is no substitute for cubic inches.
                            -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                            -99 XJ Limited.
                            -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                            -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• joe
                              • Apr 28, 2000

a guy here put a 460 in his GW. it looked good in there.
                              The 460 isn't a fast motor but it's a tough workhorse if you can afford to feed it.
                              If looking strictly for a "Ford" swap motor, don't rule out the inline 6 300's I've had a couple and no not fast but solid grunt motors that still play nice on the hwy. Last one I had was in 3/4 ton mid 80's van. Stock fuel injected spinning an auto tranny and it still averaged 17mpg. The older carbed ones didn't do as quite as well with mpgs but IMHO still great motors. It's a looong motor so some fitment planning will be required.
                              joe
                              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
                              X