Anyone follow XJ forums? Recomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Anyone follow XJ forums? Recomendations?

I have some tasking for my XJ and need some help. I see about 5 different XJ forums out there. Anyone on any of them? Like them? Hate them?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • Heep-J4000
    350 Buick
    • Feb 09, 2014

Aren't there people on this forum that have a xj series jeep?
    Like some of us also have a cj jeep.

So I think you easily can ask your question here!
    Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
    73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
    80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
    70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
    85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
    83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
      350 Buick
      • Jul 09, 2009

Cherokeeforum.com but stupidity rules the day there.
      LOL So wouldn't you know I am over there some of the time.
      Then NAXJA

NAXJA is a club, that just happens to have a forum too!
      Info is pretty spot-on over there.

(Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• DBX11
        258 I6
        • May 18, 2009

Hey I have an xj what are your questions?

Comment

I can't get into naxja anymore, and no replies to get it ironed out.

Have an '88, ask away either here or PM
          Art
          ASE Master Collision Tech
          "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Thanks everyone! Good info! We were going to sell it but now we have other plans for it.

Here is the first question:

I am getting ready to pull the AW4 out to rebuild it and convert to 4WD. I have ordered the adapter and output shaft already. I plan to keep this truck almost completely stock because we are just going to use it to tow behind our RV. I plan to run an NP242 and open diffs front/rear. The trans works OK right now but shudders into gear sometimes. I also plan to add a Transgo shift kit and trans temp gauge while I am in there. External cooler will come later. I do not plan to replace the torque converter. My goal is a stupid reliable, long lasting rig that we can take on dirt roads, snow'byng sometimes, etc.

I have done a Ford AOD and a TH400. I plan to replace all clutches and steels (I don't ever want to go into this trans again). I do have the ATSG for it.

Anywho, Looking around I see quite a few trans rebuild kits. Any advice for kits to avoid? Any you recommend? Any other advice?

I posted this over on jeepforum.com, too (because I already had an account over there). I applied for an account on NAXJA but have not been approved yet.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

I am looking too Rang. I have a friends 98 with the typical power window and lock no workie issues. It is currently sitting on my trailer behind the Dodgemahal right outside. I will be making the 4 hour trip home on Monday. They are neat little rigs. I suspect broken wires in the door harness where it flexes all the time. Please post up your findings on forums..
              Melford1972 says...
              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra
              2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
              Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

I was able to find the 2000 field Service Manual online and have downloaded it. I am on jeepforum but its even quieter there than it is here. I am still waiting for my account to be activated on NAXJA.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 08, 2019

kaiserjeeps:

Replace the passenger front door, window/door lock switch. It contains the lock/unlock relays. Buy one from Switch Doctor on Amazon for approx $25.

Dave

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

I had bought a new drivers door master switch and passenger window motor. Still has all the issues. I will have a look there. I towed the XJ to my home and it is sitting outside waiting for me. I had been reading the wiring breaks in the harness that transitions from the door to the body. To much flexing over time. I did find a CD with the factory manuals on Rock Auto. It is on the way. I want wire colors and schematics. But I will have a look at your suggestion. That is all that is wrong with this rig now. Thanks Dave!!
                    Melford1972 says...
                    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 08, 2019

I have had the wires at the door hinges break, usually on the driver's door as that is the one that is opened and closed the most for most rigs. The speaker wires often break on both front doors, then sometimes the door lock wires. Take off the inner door panel and the foot panel inside the vehicle. Then unplug the rubber accordion tube from the door jamb. I believe that you can then slide the rubber into the door or perhaps unplug it from the door. Unplug the harness behind the foot panel (there are about 3 connectors). You should be able to get enough slack to examine the wire harness in the space between the door and the jamb. Undo the tape wrap and you should be able to find the damaged wires by visual inspection or by feeling them. They break in the center, half way between the two metal surfaces. Sometimes a wire will have half of the strands broken. If it bends easier than the others, and it is the same gauge, then it may have broken strands. Strip the insulation to check.

When repairing, run a new piece of fine multi-strand wire of the same or slightly larger gauge. Cut out the damaged wire section and solder the new piece inside the door and inside the car. That way, the soldered sections (which are stiff) will not be in the "flex zone". Insulate the soldered joints, re-wrap the wire bundle and put the rest back together.

Goog Luck.

Dave

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

Most excellent info and help Dave. I plan on a dedicated day on the XJ this next week. Many thanks!
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                          258 I6
                          • Jun 11, 2017

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                          Most excellent info and help Dave. I plan on a dedicated day on the XJ this next week. Many thanks!
                          Did you get this done in the end?

I also have a 1998 XJ and have had to deal with this exact issue. I did as described above:-
                          -Remove kick panel and unplug everything
                          -Remove door panel and unplug all wires
                          -Remove rubber accordion in door jamb
                          -Remove entire wiring harness - it pulls easily enough through from the hinge area

Once it was out I found loads of damaged wires. I spliced in whole new sections (about 3 inches long) using these self-soldering heat-shrink tubes:
                          Heat Shrink Self-Solder Butt Splice Connectors provide an easy way to make a permanent, waterproof electrical wire connections. Available in four sizes! For ...

This was a couple of years ago, and everything has been working 100% perfectly since!
                          1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                          1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                          1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

Well if I could figure out how to send my picture of 5 broken wires in the door harness from a smart phone (my first smart phone I said I would NEVER get) I would share them here. I will consult a friend there.
                            So I opened up the loom and found a mess. I tested each wire from each side of the break to the plug it went to. Found all was fine and so I repaired the breaks and replaced the master door switch. I'll be the windows roll up and down now. I did open up a rear door and loosen the window track and spray silicone spray in the felt channel. It really improved it and I would call this fixed. I have a couple front axle universals to replace and this rig is ready for the Rubicon.... OK just kidding, it will be ready for her daughters....Same thing right?
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                            X