• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huntwgn
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 14, 2014

need 73 wagoner help

Filler Help...
    I Have A 73 Waggy that Just Won't Accept Fuel Except Very SlowlY. The Vent And Filler Hose Are Free From Obstruction. It Takes 25 Minutes To Get A Half Of A Tank...Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Yeah the older wags are a slow fill PITA. 60's era are even worse. If you're local stations use those goofy CA save the planet nozzles with either the big rubber boots or a buncha holes drilled in the nozzle tip you're screwed from the git go.
    Biggest problem is the fill pipe routing. Too many curves causing pressue-vapor or liquid back wash. Back when your rig was built station pumps didn't near pump near the pressure/volume/speed modern pumps do. Only real cure is re-plumb the filler and make it as straight a shot into the tank as you can.
    Some times you can get away with clocking the nozzle handle at 9 or 3 o'clock. Again if it's a planet saver rubber booted nozzle bring something to sit on cause you'll be clicking for awhile.
    Yeah we got those enviro nozzles in WA too. I'm lucky I've got a rural local station with old pumps where ya still gotta turn the little handle till the mechanical previous sales numbers reset to zero then flip the cradle seat up to turn it on. It pumps at a rate even filling a 63 wag isn't a big chore. On a side note the station doesn't do much trade with the Starbuck's amped up commuters.
    Bottom line it's and old curvy fill pipe and modern pump pressure issue. Welcome to the world of old FSJ's. Just one'a them thangs.
    Last edited by joe; 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Strode
      1st Chair, Cowbell
      • Nov 08, 2011

Huntwgn, you need to post some pictures of you Waggy. It looks pretty nice.
      Brad
      (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• huntwgn
        230 Tornado
        • Feb 14, 2014

Strode,

I Will As Soon As I Figure Out How. Lol..
        Im Currently Out Of Town So Im On My Phone...And It Won't Let Me Attach Pics...It Also Keeps Capitalizing Everything I TypE As Well...Go Figure...

Comment

• donniesoup
          232 I6
          • Dec 17, 2005

Turn the nozzle upside down and only halfway in. It makes a vast improvement.
          80 chief wt
          94 cherokee
          08 wrangler rubicon
          11 liberty

Comment

Working...
          X