International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-15-2020, 09:41 PM
230 Tornado

1976 J10 restore and swap 12V Cummins

New project. My first Jeep! Previous owner intended to swap in 12V Cummins and got as far as swapping GM 3/4 ton axles as shown in picture. The truck is apart for restore now and I have found an engine--a P-pump model from pusher motor home, a 4R100 transmission and transfer case from an Excursion and replaced the axles with Dana 60 and hi-pinion Dana 44 in front from 1979 Ford F250. I am not a mechanic but have been locating and fetching all the parts and components for the restoration shop doing the work. Someone tried to do a home-made rhino coat on it as you can see in the picture. All that is gone, blasted and most of the body work is done. Will post pictures as we proceed. Will be asking questions here, I am sure!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-16-2020, 02:38 AM
350 Buick

That's going to be a great project. Can't wait to see it progress. Question though, isn't the '79 Ford D44 a passenger drop axle? And the Ford transmission bolts up to the Cummins?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 AM
230 Tornado

bkilby, The man I bought the engine from was going to swap into a Ford truck and had already purchased an adapter plate to that transmission. If you look close you can see in picture. Once I found the correct transmission and transfer case, it required a driver drop axle which is what the D44 I got is. It is my understanding that this configuration was in the 1978 and 1979 F250, maybe other years in the 70's. The GM axle that had been swapped into the truck was passenger drop so I replaced both axles with set from the Ford truck.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 AM
350 Buick

Rethinking, I believe you're right. It was the Dodge axle I was thinking of. Those engines are popular swaps among the Ford guys. I wonder why....
Old 02-18-2020, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Wooo hooo! Subscribing!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 02-23-2020, 08:50 AM
230 Tornado

Still haviing trouble posting pics...

Ranga, I followed your advice for the last photos I posted and it worked but since then they will not post, sometimes even the links dont post. I have resized and resized. So, it may be that IMGUR is more difficult to use than Photobucket. Seems all the PB pictures I see posted have the watermark over them. Do I have to join PB to see them? I guess there is a cost now for PB. I read some negative things so I chose IMGUR. Maybe bad choice. I am not very techy but I have never had so many problems with pictures....haha. Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS!
Old 02-23-2020, 09:25 AM
258 I6

I use imgbb.com I open another window so i can switch back and forth to make sure im doing it right. however.

To actually post photos what I do is go to the right of the photo, pick embed code the one "just above edit" and choose BBCode medium linked then click copy on the far right of the pic" it just pops up, then I go to my posting and click paste. Then preview my posting to see if the pic is there, if it is then I post it.
I went many years not being able to post up pics here.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Copy. Mine are starting to not work anymore either.

Probably best to try what 78 WIDETRAC says. I may be switch over too. That will be the 4th way I have posted pics over my time here. Sigh.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:05 PM
230 Tornado

It worked!

Thanks, Widetrack. If they post the way they previewed it worked! Here goes...
Old 02-26-2020, 09:06 PM
230 Tornado

J-10 "Exploded Views"

Old 02-26-2020, 11:33 PM
Administrator

That escalated quickly!
Old 02-27-2020, 06:29 AM
230 Tornado

Rang-a, it only looks that way! It happened over the months prior to me finding this forum and joining. I posted the "before" pictures first and then had the problem with posting pictures. BTW, ImgBB has made it very easy--thanks again WIDETRACK.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Did you find any dirty secrets when you disassembled? Bent chassis? Hidden rust? Previous owner hack jobs?

BTW, your shop is amazing! Are you a professional?

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 02-27-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:51 PM
230 Tornado

Hahaha. Seems you missed my intro for new members. No, that is not my shop. It is a restoration shop in Abilene. I am not even a mechanic. I chase down components, parts, etc and PAY! I am hoping to get to the finish line without going completely broke! Yes, once the paint and and urethane was blasted off quite a bit of scattered rust was uncovered but no real extension stuff. worst was cab end of bed. In the picture, the bed is upside down because a few inches of the floor had to be removed at cab end and a piece patched in. Found a beat up bed at wrecking yard and removed some of the floor to fix that. Driver door too rusty to repair at hinges--had to be replaced. Several small patches of rust in cab floor and across the back had to be repaired. Overall not too bad but worse than what it appeared. I got it without engine and transmission, seats and tailgate. Had to replace the GM 3/4 ton axles that had been put under it.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:24 PM
258 I6

Red Durt I'm glad it worked for you. I hadn't posted a pic on here in years because I couldn't figure it out. I think I saw a post from Flint that made me check out imgbb. It is nice to put pics with a post.

BTW Nice looking build!