• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billyrb
    BJ's Off-Road
    • Aug 15, 2001

Atlanta Club Formation Meeting.....everyone invited

Guys, Steve (GaWag) posted in the General Discussion Forum about getting together to finally discuss formally organizing our local group. We are looking at possibly Sunday, November 9 either in the morning or the evening (or Saturday if that works better for everyone). After that, we could all collectively set a monthly meeting date during the week that is convenient to all?

Here is the original thread:
    Atlanta Folk

EVERYONE is invited (even if you haven't met the rest of the locals before), and everyone is encouraged to be there. Below is a preliminary list of things we might talk about at the first meeting:

I'll compile these & everyone else's suggestions, and email a list a few days before the first meeting so everyone can prepare responses.

Also, as I have experienced before in creating clubs, we will not answer every question within the first meeting or two. Some of this will take time, and there are bound to be disagreements. But, with the collective group, we can make a group decision and move forward.

Here is a quick list of things we might want to talk about:

1. Club Name - agree and set in stone
    2. Club By Laws - this will probably take the longest amount of time
    3. Club Dues - if so, how much, how often, and to whom
    4. Club Website - if we want one, and what we want on it (photo gallery, calendar, shopping cart for merchandise/dues, links, etc.)
    5. Club Events - how often, where, what kind
    6. Club Meetings - membership meetings, when, where, how often, etc.
    7. Membership Requirements - minimum to join the club, and what things will get you thrown out
    8. Club Ride Requirements - how many, how often, minimum rig & driver standards/requirements (ie: working lights, brakes, driver's license, fire extinguisher, 1st aid kit, etc.)
    9. Sticker / Shirts / Hats - do we want them? (I have a contact locally for this stuff)
    10. Club Logo - what is it? Text? Motto?
    11. Non-Profit - should we formally organize & register? (this will cost us around $170, and I have the necessary forms on my computer)
    12. Become Part of the Southern 4WD Assoc. - should we partner up with them (they are a blanket club that includes many local clubs throughout the southeastern region)?
    13. Titles or no Titles (President, etc.) - Do we want to have them? If so, how do we nominate? What positions do we need at a minimum? What will be our system of checks & balances? Also, if we form a non-profit corp., we will have to have these positions.
    14. If titles, vote & term requirements? How do we vote? What if there is a deadlock (4 vote yes, 4 vote no), how do we resolve? How long is each term for each title? Can the person be re-elected, or mandatory change? What is the transition period?

With regards to #11 above, the formation of a non-profit corp. for our club, I have done some research on this. Here is a prime reason we should do this:
    You Want Protection From Personal Liability for the Group's Activities
    "If your group finds itself the target of a lawsuit, incorporation can provide welcome peace of mind. Nonprofit corporations can be sued -- but their members and directors are generally protected from personal liability, meaning that their own money, houses, cars or other property isn't at risk. That's not true of an unincorporated association."

Also, I know of a local club that was recently sued for various activities while they were off-roading. This can help us to be better protected.

Many of the items above will fall under several categories, but I think this will get us started in the right direction.

Also, for all who are interested in our club creation, and would like to be a part of this, email me your current email addy & phone number, and I'll create a database so we can contact everyone & so that I can send out a copy of all the "Items to be Discussed". Send the email to:
    [email protected]
    or, you can contact me at 770.529.7779

[ October 23, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: billyrb ]
    BJ's Off-Road
    [email protected]
    Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts
  • youngjeeper
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jan 24, 2003

ok i THINK i can be there, i will find out for sure when my dad comes home. duluth location sounds good to me, as its closet to curtis and im like a mile from him. ryan ill send you mail in a few. i vote for morning, even though the dinner buffet is better, this meeting might last awhile.
    88' GW Stock & Mint
    77' CJ-7
    http://gfsj.org/forums
    Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

• Sitting Bull
      360 AMC
      • Sep 18, 2000

Sunday morning = church, for us non-heathens anyway !

[ October 21, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Sitting Bull ]
      Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• trickc
        304 AMC
        • Nov 29, 2000

Evening in Duluth would work better for me. *sniff sniff* somebody say buffet?
        73 j-4000 "buttercup"-SOA 36's 4 door cab

78 wagoneer choptop-SOA 36's, 6 point cage, blah blah blah

Comment

• Sitting Bull
          360 AMC
          • Sep 18, 2000

There is Barnacles restaraunt where 285 hits 85 on the north side - this may be a good overall location too. Whose all the way up near Duluth?

Comment

• trickc
            304 AMC
            • Nov 29, 2000

True, something close to 285 is not as bad. duluth is close as the crow flies but not many direct shot roads. Can I be any more wishy washy?

Comment

• billyrb
              BJ's Off-Road
              • Aug 15, 2001

Curtis, don't sweat it. You aren't wishy-washy until you are an architect driving a blue cherokee! hehehe
              BJ's Off-Road
              [email protected]

Comment

• youngjeeper
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jan 24, 2003

i still havent posted the WOT pics, tonite, i swear
                88' GW Stock & Mint
                77' CJ-7
                http://gfsj.org/forums
                Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                  360 AMC
                  • Sep 18, 2000

Originally posted by trickc:
                  True, something close to 285 is not as bad. duluth is close as the crow flies but not many direct shot roads. Can I be any more wishy washy?
                  OK, I got something wrong then. I thought Duluth was north of Norcross. I'll go check mapquest and see...well, maybe I won't...yeah, I guess I probably should

Comment

• xfadedrebelx
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 12, 2003

hey guys i havent checked out the site in awhile, missed alot im sure but Ryan from BJs offroad sent me an email about this, i could possibly make it! ive never been to one of yalls meetings before because i had homecoming, but if i make it, and we decide on a logo for the club, im "amazing" at graffitti..text..drawings and such im extremely artist, or so im told.
                    -Laura
                    1987 Silver Grand Wagoneer<br />4\" lift 32\" BFs, CB and PA<br />comes complete with construction cones and blonde girl<br />2- 10\" pioneer subs- -wee!<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/419722\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/419722</a><br />- - - - - - - - - - - - - - <br />I want bigger tires!

Comment

• BIGYELLOW78J10
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 18, 2000

Duluth is north of norcross, but still east and maybe a bit south of Alpharetta, so it's a bit closer to Curtis.

Shall we crown curtis our king?

Forget president, we'll have a king.

I will officially apply for the position of Vice Duke, which means I am in charge of all Vice Grips collectively owned by the club.

Anyway, I am on occasion not a heathen, as such Sunday mornings might be iffy. I will see if the 9th works.
                      later,

daniel
                      78 J-10 Rumblin Wreck 2v 360 V-8 Qtrac TH400 Stock down to the rust Highway speed in about an Hour
                      85 J-20 4v 360 V-8 Transplant w/ 30k Fresh Rebuilt 727 and a working 208!!! A/C might even work one day!

Comment

• trickc
                        304 AMC
                        • Nov 29, 2000

Someplace around 285/85 would be better,than say duluth and I want to be fair cause I know some are coming from dallas/alpharetta. What about downtown at say the Varsity? Just trying to be fair and pick somewhere central for all of us.

King? I abdicate my thrown to Ryan!

Comment

• billyrb
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          • Aug 15, 2001

Well, Curtis, I DO like sitting on the throne.....oh, wait, you meant.....oh nevermind.

Laura, FYI Ryan @ BJ's Off-Road = billyrb = me

Duluth & Norcross intertwine, but maybe the Curt-ster is right....Varsity could be convenient to everyone, cept. maybe Bill (Lanierboy). Suggestions? The only requirement we need is to be able to fit a dozen + people.

BR:

As for the heathen stuff, yeah, I'm going to hell. I wonder if the Jeep will make it?!
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          [email protected]

Comment

• BIGYELLOW78J10
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 18, 2000

I'd imagine you could find a really large handbasket, put it in there and that way you and your jeep could go to hell in a handbasket, whatever that means.

Should we start knocking off places (eliminating from our meeting place list, NOT robbing) or types of food? I don't really care for french cuisine, so I will eliminate the french restaurants.

How much room does the varsity jr have that is up 85 off lenox rd?
                            78 J-10 Rumblin Wreck 2v 360 V-8 Qtrac TH400 Stock down to the rust Highway speed in about an Hour
                            85 J-20 4v 360 V-8 Transplant w/ 30k Fresh Rebuilt 727 and a working 208!!! A/C might even work one day!

Comment

• lanierboy
                              258 I6
                              • Apr 25, 2000

I'm game for anyplace. The Barnacles on P'tree Ind. just north of I285 is probably as central for the group if not more so than downtown. Also, it's pretty roomy complete with pool tables and such.
                              1987 GW <b>\"Christine\"</b><br />AMC360 / NP229 / TF727<br />Holley Projection 2bbl<br />TFI Ignition upgrade<br />MSD Ignition<br />Skyjacker 4\" Spring lift<br />GoodYear Workhorse 31/10.5<br /><a href=\"http://members.home.net/lanierboy/\" target=\"_blank\">My Web</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X