• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • posulli88
    258 I6
    • Dec 18, 2016

Holley Sniper hyperspark Ignition System

I am getting ready to add in the timing control feature on my Holley Sniper. I have an MSD Ignition System (ready to run). I have read that a lot of people have had some issues with the Sniper system controlling MSD Distributors. Through that research I ran into this system:

I think its very new, but seems like a solution for amc engines and timing control. Wish this was out 4 months ago when I bought my MSD system

Anybody used this? Thoughts? Anybody here have success with timing control with MSD?
    77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

The "problem(s)" most folks seem to have is phasing, or noise on signal wires.
    Phasing can be adjusted, but need a good grasp on how it's done correctly.
    MSD sells a rotor for their distributor that's adjustable.
    Or you can change the reluctor position on a locked distributor.
    Similar to a Duraspark, make a threaded hole in reluctor and a set screw vs. the roll pin.

Noise can be reduced by using twisted pair wiring. As in you twist the pickup wires so they resemble what is used in networking cables.
    Never seen anyone scope an MSD they were having issues with a Sniper, so dunno if this would solve the issue? Could be a limitation/flaw in their setup?

If this new distributor is "pre-phased" and adjustable, plays nice (Sniper signal wise), then I see no reason not to use it.
    Not aware of any off the shelf AMC distributors that were designed specifically for EFI applications. This one looks like it was, meaning if checked after install I'd venture it's pre-phased already, like the stock GM small cap stuff.

Try your MSD, if you have problems sell it on fleabay(or wherever), they fetch decent $ even used.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

If you saved the instructions for your MSD distributor it has a great guide on why and how to phase the distributor. It was easy for me after reading a hundred times or so...

I posted a reply in your other thread...
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• posulli88
        258 I6
        • Dec 18, 2016

Thanks for the responses guys, very informative! I have watched the Holley video on doing this a hundred times and have read the instructions a ton so I think I am ready to give it ago. I was just concerned that after I go through with it ending up in the same boat as others. I had just seen the new hyper spark system and thought I would ask if anyone has used it.

I will give it a go with MSD and update you with my results.

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

Funny thing is it took me 25 times less time to do it than to read the instructions and build up the courage.

But I got it right. With Tony's patient help to make sense of a few things.
          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• ShagWagon
            350 Buick
            • Apr 10, 2016

What problems are people claiming? Known problems or just can't figure out how to set it up? Maybe there's a compatibility issue with Holley and MSD somehow.

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

MSD is owned by Holley...be idiotic to have incompatible product that doesn’t work with Holley Sniper IMHO.
              But who knows...

I had to do twisted pair on my ‘90 with GM TBI & Duraspark doing timing control.
              Installed/tuned/helped many folks with EFI issues, and this one was new to me.
              Occasionally the ecm would just lose it, data logs showed why.
              Very random/intermittently tach signal would spike to like 10k-14k.
              Was a hair puller, frustrating as hell problem to have and difficult to find/resolve!
              If you compare an MSD to Duraspark trigger setup virtually identical.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• posulli88
                258 I6
                • Dec 18, 2016

I have read about people having the same tach spikes as you describe babywag. I was even seeing people having problems with stalling, and drivability issues after changing over to timing control. Very well could be people not doing the phasing and install correctly. It just had me a little spooked to change over to timing control. I will give it a go and hopefully all will go smoothly. Thanks guys!

Comment

• ShagWagon
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                  MSD is owned by Holley...be idiotic to have incompatible product that doesn?t work with Holley Sniper IMHO.
                  But who knows...

I had to do twisted pair on my ?90 with GM TBI & Duraspark doing timing control.
                  Installed/tuned/helped many folks with EFI issues, and this one was new to me.
                  Occasionally the ecm would just lose it, data logs showed why.
                  Very random/intermittently tach signal would spike to like 10k-14k.
                  Was a hair puller, frustrating as hell problem to have and difficult to find/resolve!
                  If you compare an MSD to Duraspark trigger setup virtually identical.
                  I didn't know they were the same company.

But maybe they aren't compatible somehow and that's why they put out this kit already phased, synched and programmed specifically for the sniper because of the demand for an out of box solution. It's $600 for the complete system.

Took me a quite a few hours to wrap my head around it without it and I paid about the same for the MSD distributor, MSD2 coil and 6AL (that I didn't need but had bought beforehand).

I would lock,phase,sync the distributor to match handheld spark advance reading to the physical timing mark at 2000rpm. Then if it gives you any crap after that, then consider the sniper ignition kit.

Comment

Working...
                  X