• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • porkchop
    Master of B.S.
    • Apr 17, 2000

Which is better D20 or Quadatrac?

Just want to get everyone's opinion on this. I have the D20 and I like it because it is gear driven and takes regular old gear oil. I know the QT is chain driven and takes special fluid so I see that as two strikes already. Am I wrong?

Reply by: -joe
    For strength and simplicity ya can't beat a gear driven x-case but the QT is the toughest of the chain driven and has a better low range than the D20(2.6-vs-2.0). Depends on what ya plan on doing with the Jeep I guess. It's a tough call...I have both and like'm both -joe

Reply by: scotty
    personally,i like gear driven and a cast iron shell.my jeeps purpose in life is four
    wheeling,and the gear dirven cases hold up much better for that.ive had my fair share
    of problems with aluminum cases,so i finally gave up and swapped in a dana 300. i also
    broke down ad spent the money for the twin stick shifter and im very,very happy with
    my setup now. i will agree that the quadra trac has kind of a bad rap.it is a fairly stout case as long as you have a good chain in it.what usually happens is that people keep pounding on them after they hear all the pops and bangs of the chain jumping teeth,and eventually it lets go and youre left with a pile of non rebuildable aluminum t-case rubbble. also the full timfeature is nice if you have alot of snow and this is your daily driver. since low range is usuable without e drive,its a nice feature to have a full time low(or a 2wd low in a part time converted case) off road to keep driveline bind to a minimum. scott

Reply by: Bob Barry
    Of course, it all depends on how you intend to use the truck.

*A mud-truck would work well with a D20, as the crawl-ratio is not as crucial, but strength is.
    *A street-truck would work best with a QT, which would give you the extratraction in snow and rain, but not face the kind of strain that could do in an aluminum chain-driven case.
    *For a multi-purpose, trail machine, I'd give the nods to the QT for its flexibility. It has the better crawl ratio, it has full-time mode for on-pavement performance and low-speed maneuverability, part-time mode (E-drive) for rough-going, and properly maintained it can withstand all kinds of abuse (if the YJ guys can make the NP231 live, we can certainly make the QT live).

Reply by: porkchop
    Well I don't have any snow and it rains maybe three times a year (that's in a good year). I use the waggy as my daily driver to and from work and in the winter I am out four wheeling pretty much every weekend. Can't do it in the summer since it is 120 outside and only 80 in the winter. So I want something that I can drive to work and if I want to go out at lunch and do a little wheeling I can and not worry about it. I live in a HARSH desert climate with lots of sand and rocks.

Reply by: Kenall
    my wag is rubicon tested...those type of trails is what i like. (rubicon is NOT as tuff as the hammer trails in So CA). i went to the QT FROM the d20 because for the 700$ tag of converting it to PT w/OD and installing onto the back of my th400 and installing it into my wag it solved 3things.

1:increased max hiway speed from 55@3000 to 70@3000.
    2:it repostioned the rear output shaft when compared to the d20, so that with the 5" lift i have with the SOA, my driveline vibrates MUCH less.
    3:it gave me a lower lorange. even when considering the OD kit is installed too, the
    lorange is better than the d20. and with the 3:1 first gear i have in the th400, i have all the benefits of installing a th700r4 for a fraction of the cost...but then...it ALL depends on what u want to do with the jeep.

since ur in AZ, i wood stick with the d20 if: u DONT intend to lift it without swapping
    the rear diff to a unit that is centered, or...convert to the QT if u do plan a big lift and u KEEP ur existing offset rear diff.
    u can ALWAYS convert the QT to PT operation and use just normal ATF...

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: irbob ]
  • scotty
    • Jun 12, 2000

personally,i like gear driven and a cast iron shell.my jeeps purpose in life is four wheeling,and the gear dirven cases hold up much better for that.ive had my fair share of problems with aluminum cases,so i finally gave up and swapped in a dana 300. i also broke down ad spent the money for the twin stick shifter and im very,very happy with my setup now.

i will agree that the quadra trac has kind of a bad rap.it is a fairly stout case as long as you have a good chain in it.what usually happens is that people keep pounding on them after they hear all the pops and bangs of the chain jumping teeth,and eventually it lets go and youre left with a pile of non rebuildable aluminum t-case rubbble.

also the full timfeature is nice if you have alot of snow and this is your daily driver. since low range is usuable without e drive,its a nice feature to have a full time low(or a 2wd low in a part time converted case) off road to keep driveline bind to a minimum.

scott
    85 grand wag 258/dana 300/38 in gumbo mudders
    scotty
    85 grand wagoneer
    258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
    38" TSL SXs
    chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by porkchop:
      Just want to get everyone's opinion on this. I have the D20 and I like it because it is gear driven and takes regular old gear oil. I know the QT is chain driven and takes special fluid so I see that as two strikes already. Am I wrong?
      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, it all depends on how you intend to use the truck.
      <UL TYPE=SQUARE>*A mud-truck would work well with a D20, as the crawl-ratio is not as crucial, but strength is.
      *A street-truck would work best with a QT, which would give you the extra traction in snow and rain, but not face the kind of strain that could do in an aluminum chain-driven case.
      *For a multi-purpose, trail machine, I'd give the nods to the QT for its flexibility. It has the better crawl ratio, it has full-time mode for on-pavement performance and low-speed maneuverability, part-time mode (E-drive) for rough-going, and properly maintained it can withstand all kinds of abuse (if the YJ guys can make the NP231 live, we can certainly make the QT live).[/list]

------------------
      Bob Barry
      <UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
      * '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]

[This message has been edited by BobBarry (edited June 13, 2000).]

Comment

• porkchop
        Master of B.S.
        • Apr 17, 2000

Well I don't have any snow and it rains maybe three times a year (that's in a good year). I use the waggy as my daily driver to and from work and in the winter I am out four wheeling pretty much every weekend. Can't do it in the summer since it is 120 outside and only 80 in the winter. So I want something that I can drive to work and if I want to go out at lunch and do a little wheeling I can and not worry about it. I live in a HARSH desert climate with lots of sand and rocks.

------------------
        1967 Wagoneer with orginal 327 w/Dual exaust,
        T-85 3 spd XMSN
        Stock axles
        D20 XSFER Case
        SPOA in the front with 4" blocks in the rear and Rancho add-a-leafs
        32X11.50 A/T's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."

Comment

my wag is rubicon tested...those type of trails is what i like. (rubicon is NOT as tuff as the hammer trails in So CA).

i went to the QT FROM the d20 because for the 700$ tag of converting it to PT w/OD and installing onto the back of my th400 and installing it into my wag it solved 3 things.

1:increased max hiway speed from 55@3000 to 70@3000.
          2:it repostioned the rear output shaft when compared to the d20, so that with the 5" lift i have with the SOA, my driveline vibrates MUCH less.
          3:it gave me a lower lorange. even when considering the OD kit is installed too, the lorange is better than the d20.

and with the 3:1 first gear i have in the th400, i have all the benefits of installing a th700r4 for a fraction of the cost...

but then...it ALL depends on what u want to do with the jeep.

since ur in AZ, i wood stick with the d20 if: u DONT intend to lift it without swapping the rear diff to a unit that is centered, or...convert to the QT if u do plan a big lift and u KEEP ur existing offset rear diff.

u can ALWAYS convert the QT to PT operation and use just normal ATF...

------------------
          1966 Super Wagoneer
          'The Predecessor' http://home.earthlink.net/~kenns9/index.html

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

Why, heck a genuine Quadracrap of course!

New Quadracrap website now available here:
            Jubliee Jeeps Quadratrac

Flint
            Ran when parked.
            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Bob Barry
              Jeep Doctor
              • Apr 09, 2000

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
              Why, heck a genuine Quadracrap of course!

New Quadracrap website now available here:
              Jubliee Jeeps Quadratrac

We call this a Jesus-thread, as it comes back from the dead when nobody expected it...

1987 J-20
              Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                Señor Jackhead
                • Aug 21, 2002

dang proud to do my part!
                Flint
                Ran when parked.
                http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                X