• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman42
    232 I6
    • Mar 13, 2019

Some Prissy thoughts?

10,000 issues come up on our Jeeps but it seems hard to find answers to lots of ? even w archives.
    So a few w my '85GW last yr (non inclusive list)
    1 ACC carpet sets are ok for $$ but not 5*. Have to finagle(is that English?)
    most of kit esp side boards. As others have noted , the 5" riser piece does not exist in these kits. Xtra sound proof layers can help some front section fit woes.
    Elite colors are few & not as close to orig. Get close in color & say uncle. Jeep had no trouble in giving me at least 5 colors of vinyl/leather/& plastic in my 'tan'(honey interior) Once it's done ,only you will know the differences!!
    2 Use old door boards if they will hold up to recover. Same for cargo boards.
    Replaced all of mine. won't bore you w all the issues.
    Ck other threads for insulation/ soundproof issues.
    3 Solved some of my headliner issues, esp sagging by riveting L aluminum pieces to ceiling boards , between board & roof before recovering.
    4 SEM has a camel color good for vinyl arm rests (tan-nish interiors
    Enough for now! Charles
    -
    Easy doesn't do it!!
  • jeepman42
    232 I6
    • Mar 13, 2019

Correction ,Essex colors are minimal.
    Also someone mentioned, thicker carpet = harder vacuuming- attest to this w my '90 orig garnet carpet!!
    Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• jeepman42
      232 I6
      • Mar 13, 2019

Another note , on the headliner taking sag out may cause short fit @ sides esp to rear. ie. sag looked bad ,but fit was better?
      Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• devildog80
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 13, 2022

How do some of you salvage the headliner boards, to get them reshaped for reuse?

Thinking initially about steaming them slowly back to shape, but asking for other ideas to see what works best!
        '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

• MysticRob
          350 Buick
          • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by devildog80
          How do some of you salvage the headliner boards, to get them reshaped for reuse?

Thinking initially about steaming them slowly back to shape, but asking for other ideas to see what works best!
          Same way they became warped in the first place. I used soap and water to clean them and get them wet, then put various things on them on a flat surface to help them reform. Worked great.
          --Rob--
          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• devildog80
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 13, 2022

Sounds like it will work well.

Just have to treat them carefully when taking them out, as they are really hanging low in there.

Will post results when I get to them.

Thanks
            '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Comment

• SJTD
              304 AMC
              • Apr 26, 2012

Mine never got wet, just cooked in the sun with the windows up.

I soaked them in the pool but couldn't get them back to shape.

Made new ones out of Coro-plast.
              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• devildog80
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 13, 2022

Mine cooked too, for at least 18 years since truck last registered.....I guess.

Well, I'll give it the ol' college try, and see if I can save them.

Thanks for feedback

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

your carpet thought:
                  I bought a carpet kit on Craigslist a few years ago and it was one piece for the whole passenger compartment. It already had heavy backing on it, and it generally felt better than some of the other aftermarket ones I have seen. I have NOooooo idea where the guy I bought it from bought it. The guy I bought it from said it was an ACC but all the ACC's I have seen are 2 piece in the passenger compartment.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• devildog80
                    327 Rambler
                    • Apr 13, 2022

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                    your carpet thought:
                    I bought a carpet kit on Craigslist a few years ago and it was one piece for the whole passenger compartment. It already had heavy backing on it, and it generally felt better than some of the other aftermarket ones I have seen. I have NOooooo idea where the guy I bought it from bought it. The guy I bought it from said it was an ACC but all the ACC's I have seen are 2 piece in the passenger compartment.
                    I like that shorter pile you have, from the shag that is in mine now.

Wife said it reminds her having to "rake" the living room shag carpet when she was young. Told her I did not find the carpet rake anywhere yet

Thought about buying a large enough short pile patio rug, and then cut to fit. Much cheaper than the automotive carpet, and would serve my needs for the duration.

Comment

Working...
                    X