International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-27-2003, 04:12 AM
Grease Monkey

A few questions here so I will go by topic

topic #1 "is this the correct tranny?"
Q. how can I tell, for sure, if a tranny that is out of the vehicle, with no info on it's original carrier, is a match for my 1982 wag 360/727/219?

Topic #2 " what signs of wear should I look for?"
Q. is there at least a reliable way to check a disembodied tranny for "bad" signs of wear? I imagine that it has no fluid since it was pulled by a junkyard and is now on a shelf.

Topic #3 "What preperations should I do before I install this tranny?"
Q. aside from a fluid/filter change what else?

Topic #4 "which one? $250 w/ 90 day war. or $200 w/30 day?
Q. I imagine that the extra warranty is a good buffer for a bad tranny but is 90 days enough?

This is kinda a time crunch thing so the most important thing is whether or not this tranny will fit my wag. I appreciate ANY insight, thanks in adavnce. I can't wait to get Ruby back on the road again. She has too much diginity to simply be moved to avoid the tow man!!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:08 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

TF727 was used from '80-91 so yes it will fit.

Don't know about the warranty, but I'd suspect severe problems would show up within the first 2 weeks. The 727s a good, strong tranny, and they are supposed to be cheap/easy to rebuild. So if you're not turning your old one in as a core you might want to look into rebuilding it yourself for a spare, or to sell to make your money back.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Gear Head

If the tranny was in an AMC V-8 4X4 configuration it will fit. That said I'd rebuilt it, imho the 727 is the one to learn on. A book and a kit should come in much cheaper and you will have a new and valuable skill!