• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael_Roberts
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 18, 2018

exhaust plugs

Hi guys

1985 Grand Wagoneer with a original 360. Doing some cleanup and have decided to remove a few things. I am keeping the the EGR valve but have decided to remove the smog pump and lines to the exhaust.

Was wondering what you guys used for plugs on the exhaust. Looking for suggestions.
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by Michael_Roberts
    Hi guys

1985 Grand Wagoneer with a original 360. Doing some cleanup and have decided to remove a few things. I am keeping the the EGR valve but have decided to remove the smog pump and lines to the exhaust.

Was wondering what you guys used for plugs on the exhaust. Looking for suggestions.
    They are 9/16-18 thread. I kept mine, but if you are plugging, I'd suggest using real short 9/16-18 bolts (hex head machine screws) with flat washer or crush type sealing washer.

FYI Air injection into the exhaust manifold was only for when the engine is cold. When it warms up the injection went direct to the catalytic converter.

If you still have the air injection feed tubing (the rubber hoses) intact, I'd love to see some photos. I had to cobble mine because the '85 AIR system is somewhat unique and pieces were missing.

PS. Photos can not be uploaded to the forum. Either send me an email or put the photos on hosting server (such as flickr!) and link them.
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish

Comment

• Michael_Roberts
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 18, 2018

Pictures

I be happy to take some pictures. I still have the main side to side peice rubber hose and its in good shape. I try to get them tomorrow for you and thanks for the info

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

As stated they're 9/16" NF (national-fine) same thread as the spark plugs. Whether you're replacing the air injection fittings or plugging the holes w/bolts, I highly recommend putting a smear of anti-seize on the threads case you ever have to remove them. I prefer the copper based anti-seize but the grey zinc based stuff is better than nuthin.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• nograin
          304 AMC
          • Dec 19, 2000

Originally posted by Michael_Roberts
          I be happy to take some pictures. I still have the main side to side peice rubber hose and its in good shape. I try to get them tomorrow for you and thanks for the info
          Thanks. I appreciate it.
          '85 Grand Wagoneer
          360 727auto, NP229
          body by beer (PO)
          carries wood inside
          no "wood" outside
          My other car is a fish

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

When you are ready to remove the bolts, soak them with penetrating oil for a couple days/nights and expect to use lots of heat; they break really easy. Of the 7 bolts on my rig, 2 broke when coming out. When they do brake, its a real pain to get the stub out and you can count on removing the whole exhaust manifold to do so.

You can also remove the check valve and just put a cap on the tube instead of removing the bolts.

If you are not under smog check, you might want to just get headers but that adds a bit of cost in that you need the headers, and a new crossover pipe. You will get some performance improvements, too.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Michael_Roberts
              230 Tornado
              • Oct 18, 2018

exhaust plugs

soaked them each day and on the third day tried removing them. Worked like a champ. Got the bolts from amazon versus driving around them. Thanks Joe for the sizing on the bolts.

At some point I will possibly put on headers but for now I am good with the bolts.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Wooohoooo!!!! I love seeing success stories!!!
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                X