• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tin Medic
    Loose (lug)Nut(s)
    • Mar 21, 2011

Vacuum Ball on Firewall

What is the vacuum ball on the firewall? The previous owner changed hoses at some point but didnt have the right size so he SUPER GLUED the hose to the nipple. When I went to change out the hoses today it broke so I need to replace the ball.
    Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
    Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

I think

It's a vacum canister

This one is not exact but would work fine.

Last edited by serehill; 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM.

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
      350 Buick
      • Jul 09, 2009

The vacuum ball that mounts to the fire wall stores vacuum for both your heater, and for the 4X switch, or emergency drive if a QT jeep
      (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• Locked and Loaded
        350 Buick
        • Jul 04, 2006

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
        The vacuum ball that mounts to the fire wall stores vacuum for both your heater, and for the 4X switch, or emergency drive if a QT jeep
        X2 If you don't have it. When you accelerate you will lose vacuum and your heater doors will close. Which means you will be colder.
        Jeff

Drink more water.

"Nothin' ain't worth nothin'.
        But it's free"
        Kris Kristofferson 1970

1981 J10, 258, T176, NP208

Comment

• Tripwire
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 30, 2000

and your for wheel drive will disengage good luck getting out of that mudhole now
          Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Tin Medic
            Loose (lug)Nut(s)
            • Mar 21, 2011

What ever it is I need one. What is the cable that comes out of the side?
            Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
            Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

If you're going to be up near Denver, the U-Pull U-Pay yard (the one with the golden eagle people were talking about earlier) has an FSJ that should have the reservoir.
              Ethan Brady
              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• blakeusa
                350 Buick
                • Jul 21, 2005

it's vacuum storage canister that controls the heater and defroster.

The switch uses vac to change modes. From the canister there should be one suction from the manifold or carb- (vac in) and (one out) - to the Heater switch in the dash.

The switch then has three ports (one in) and two out that run under the dash and control two of these vac pots (or whatever you call them). This diverts the air to heat or defrost.

At least that is how my 71 operates.
                1971 J4000 Gladiator w/AMC 401 Restoration Project

Comment

• Tripwire
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jul 30, 2000

post in the wanted section - if you really get in a jam i have one im saving for emergency to tide you over till you can replace it

also the round can looking one for the criuse control is a goo substitute IIRC
                  Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• serehill
                    Gone,Never Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2009

well

Originally posted by Tin Medic
                    What ever it is I need one. What is the cable that comes out of the side?

Never seen the cable. But the link I sent would work.

Last edited by serehill; 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM.

80 Cherokee
                    360 ci 727 with
                    Comp cams 270 h
                    NP208
                    Holley 4180
                    Msd total multi spark.
                    4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• jsinajeep
                      304 AMC
                      • Nov 26, 2005

I have one that I will sale you. PM me if you are interested. [ vac. ball]
                      http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

Cable on a vacuum reservoir? Nothing to do with the reservoir unless it was used as a bracket hold-off to keep a cable from laying on the motor? If you're in a bind for a reservior til you get a real one you can make one out of a few plastic/nylon vac fittings from the auto parts store and a qt Mason jar. drill/punch the holes needed for the amount of hose nipples you need. Epoxy the fittings to the lid. Run one to the original manifold vac fitting, either directly from the manifold or from a T fitting in another manifold vacuum hose.(NOT a ported vac source) then connect the needed hoses to run your accessories. Any air tight sealable container that won't collapse under vacuum will work till you get the correct part. Yeah hokey and you won't get any show points but you'll get down the road with a working tcase and heat/def.
                        joe
                        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• serehill
                          Gone,Never Forgotten.
                          • Nov 22, 2009

OR

Originally posted by joe
                          Cable on a vacuum reservoir? Nothing to do with the reservoir unless it was used as a bracket hold-off to keep a cable from laying on the motor? If you're in a bind for a reservior til you get a real one you can make one out of a few plastic/nylon vac fittings from the auto parts store and a qt Mason jar. drill/punch the holes needed for the amount of hose nipples you need. Epoxy the fittings to the lid. Run one to the original manifold vac fitting, either directly from the manifold or from a T fitting in another manifold vacuum hose.(NOT a ported vac source) then connect the needed hoses to run your accessories. Any air tight sealable container that won't collapse under vacuum will work till you get the correct part. Yeah hokey and you won't get any show points but you'll get down the road with a working tcase and heat/def.
                          He's talking about the cruise control bellows ????

Only thing I can figure. The vacum canister doesn't have a cable.

80 Cherokee
                          360 ci 727 with
                          Comp cams 270 h
                          NP208
                          Holley 4180
                          Msd total multi spark.
                          4" rusty's springs

Comment

• joe
                            • Apr 28, 2000

Oh cruise reservoir, I got confused with "firewall"
                            vac reservoir. I thought the CC junk was on the fender well? Here's where I bow out CC workings are among the black arts.
                            joe
                            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• serehill
                              Gone,Never Forgotten.
                              • Nov 22, 2009

well

Originally posted by joe
                              Oh cruise reservoir, I got confused with "firewall"
                              vac reservoir. I thought the CC junk was on the fender well? Here's where I bow out CC workings are among the black arts.
                              The cruise control bellows on the intake is close to the firewall & the only thing that might have a cable or chain coming out of it. I was just guessing Joe.
                              LOL I still think it's the canister.

80 Cherokee
                              360 ci 727 with
                              Comp cams 270 h
                              NP208
                              Holley 4180
                              Msd total multi spark.
                              4" rusty's springs

Comment

Working...
                              X