• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Driftwood
    350 Buick
    • Jun 12, 2000

727 Transmission Throttle Linkage Adjustment

I am having trouble understanding this procedure. Why Raise the vehicle? I have followed this procedure and the procedure in Haynes. But I am still having problems with shifting as described below.

Contributed By: Tom Collins
    In the Jeep Factory '84/85 GW & truck manual M.R.253 for the 727 & V8 engine. Here's what follows:
    THROTTLE LINKAGE-
    The throttle linkage adjustment is important to proper operation. This adjustment positions a valve which controls the shift speed, shift quality and part of the throttle down shift sensitivity. If the setting is too short, early shifts and slippage may occur. If the linkage setting is too long, shifts may be delayed and part throttle down shifts may be very sensitive.
    This adjustment is so important that the use of a throttle lever holding spring is necessary to remove slack in the linkage during adjustment. Refer to THROTTLE LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT...
    THROTTLE LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT - 8 Cylinder Wagoneer &Truck Models
    1. Disconnect the throttle control rod spring(1) at the carburetor.
    2. Raise the vehicle
    3. Use the throttle control rod spring to hold the transmission throttle valve control lever forward against the stop.
    4. Block the choke open and set the carburetor throttle off the fast idle cam.
    5. NOTE: On carburetors equipped with a throttle operated solenoid valve, turn the ignition lock to the ON position to energize the solenoid. Then open the throttle halfway to allow the solenoid to lock and return the carburetor to the idle position.
    6. Loosen the retaining bolt(2) on the throttle control rod adjusting link (3). Remove the spring clip and move the nylon washer(4) to the rear of the link.
    7. Push on the end of the link retaining bolt.
    8. Install the nylon washer(4) and spring clip(5).
    9. Remove the throttle control rod spring(1) from the linkage and install it on the rod.
    10. Lower the vehicle.
    Tom Collins
    Odessa, FL
    1979 Wagoneer
  • Jayrodoh
    360 AMC
    • Sep 07, 2004

What problems are you having? My first wag the linkage came apart at the tranny, and my current wag had the linkage assembled wrong by a dealer. If you give us symptoms, we can probably offer more assistance.
    Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

• aerocorey
      304 AMC
      • Oct 14, 2006

Forget about raising the vehicle. The only reason that's a step is to give you more room to work. If you can do it without raising the vehicle go ahead and get to work.

For the adjustment procedure...loosen the TV linkage adjustment bolt and then turn the throttle to WOT with your hand. While holding the throttle at WOT pull the TV lever all the way forward and then adjust the slide so that everytime the throttle is opened all the way it will pull the TV linkage all the way forward. Tighten the bolt and turn the throttle to WOT aagin. Verify that the TV linkage isn't too short so it holds the throttle back and isn't too long so it's not pulled all the way forward at WOT.

If you're still having problems after that, or even if you aren't still having problems after that, inspect all the pieces of the linkage. It's kind of a Dr Seuss looking setup and sometimes it comes disconnected. Also check your fluid level. Let us know how it goes.
      Corey

Current
      87 GW "Big Bear"
      76 J20 project "Ox"
      90 GW parts rig "Velma"
      77 J10 parts rig "NoMo" (as in "no more Jeeps, Corey!")
      94 YJ "Coop"

Past
      88 GW "Hercules" (had to sell in '08, curious who has it now)
      83 Wag parts rig "Shaggy" (used to build Herc, then scrapped)
      73 J4000 (had to sell due to PCS in '07)
      75 Cherokee "Jerry Lee" (sold in '13 because I'm an idiot)
      74 Cherokee "Dino" (used to build Jerry Lee, then scrapped)

Comment

• Driftwood
        350 Buick
        • Jun 12, 2000

I must have the linkage set too long. When I hammer down on the accelerator I barely get a response from the transmission. It won't downshift.
        1979 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
        X