• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loosewrenchcowboy
    232 I6
    • Oct 08, 2008

87 GW intercooled 4bt/47rh/208 w/ a/c update

Well its been almost a year since i've posted anything about my swap,(busy year- i got married this summer), so here's the update.

1991 4bt(brand new), 1994 47rh dodge cummins 4x4 trans(fresh rebuild), and a np208j from 80's fsj.
    I had a torque converter custom built since i can't find any listing for a 4bt using a dodge trans. Seems like using a 6bt converter on the 4bt would be like using a 454 chevy converter on a 350.
    A custom adapter was required to bolt the trans to the tcase and to allow clocking of the tcase for ground and crossmember clearance.
    Custom cable actuated trans shift linkage using stock column and trans selector arm.
    Intercooled-MINOR trimming to fit with a/c condensor and tranny cooler.
    The overdrive trans length put the tcase into the factory gas tank requiring a swap to the bronco gas tank with stock GW sending unit(slightly modified).
    Remote mount oil filter.
    and remote mount dual optimas.
    I modified the factory mounts on the radiator and installed a larger lower radiator outlet.
    Ford tarus 2 speed fan-DO NOT USE A REMOTE MOUNT FORD STARTER RELAY to power the fan! They cannot handle the constant power and can catch fire-without blowing the 30 amp fuse(ask me how i know).
    Used the factory brake booster and master cylinder. Ask a side note the brakes are excellent after i replaced all rubber brake hoses with stainless steel ones. Also replaced all steel brakes lines with new stainless one.
    Currently i have over 4,000 miles on this swap.
    I'm getting over 20 mpg on highway-no speedo yet so mileage was calculated on a road trips with gps and milemarkers. Mileage should increase once the 4bt is broken in a bit.
    Currently the 4 inch lift, 3:31 gears, 33 inch tires, roof rack, and 100 hp engine have prevented me from using the overdrive on the trans-just to many things working against me. Some engine modifications to up the horsepower and 3:73 gears should be perfect to get the best driveability and mileage.
    Looks like i'm going to have to add a 1 inch body lift to clear my a/c compressor, or drop and clock the engine an inch.
    This swap utilized the stock trans crossmember, without drilling any holes. Seems there were factory holes for a 2wd trans?

I'm trying to figure out how to post pics. And in the next few weeks i plan on making/selling some of these swap parts if there is enough interest.
    Last edited by loosewrenchcowboy; 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM.
  • draider
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 13, 2012

Sounds like a very cool rig. Can't wait to see the pics.

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
      232 I6
      • Oct 08, 2008

pics

Hopefully this link will do it since i cant figure out how to resize the pics to post them on here.
      Last edited by loosewrenchcowboy; 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Resbum
        327 Rambler
        • Jun 16, 2010

This sounds like a great project
        Last edited by Resbum; 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM.
        Originally posted by Resbum
        "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• Resbum
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 16, 2010

Glad to see you got the picture posting issue fixed
          Last edited by Resbum; 02-24-2013, 06:00 AM.
          "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
            232 I6
            • Oct 08, 2008

pics

Resbum-i looked at my pic sizes, and they should work. This website says max size of 620x280, my pics on photobucket are 480x160. That is smaller. ???

Comment

• Resbum
              327 Rambler
              • Jun 16, 2010

I like this intake. Nice and clean & functional

Last edited by Resbum; 02-22-2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Resbum
                327 Rambler
                • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by loosewrenchcowboy
                Who knew this thread would end up being a tutorial about posting pics, lol. ... lol. Thanks again

...Guess i'll have to get some professional help on this kindle-my 14 yr old will be home shortly.
                Haha Yep, I know the feeling.

When this is all sorted out you and I can go back to our earlier posts and edit them. Remove all the picture posting info and fill them with comments about how good your build is.

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 08, 2008

yup

Lol, yup sounds like a plan

Comment

• lil jeep mec
                    258 I6
                    • May 23, 2012

paste it in the body of the text, not in manage attachents, thats how i do it
                    78 j10 4bbl 360 green on 35's
                    360, t18, d20, d44's, 4.09's
                    plan on...
                    -SOA
                    -37's in 2 or 3 years 40's-54's
                    -not cutting the flares
                    -get the 360 running
                    -twin stick
                    -OX lockers!

Comment

• Resbum
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jun 16, 2010

A few days ago a member posted a thread titled "Imageshack pic tutorial". It's very well done on how to post pictures.

I know there is a sticky but I see a lot of people have trouble and I thought the sticky wasn't all that helpful. I figure if this is useful people will use it if not it will sift away eventually. Here are the rules for posting pics, don't say you weren't warned http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83037 This
                      Last edited by Resbum; 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 08, 2008

lil jeep, and resbum:thanks for the pic help and advice. and here we go.....

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 08, 2008

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 08, 2008

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 08, 2008