• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zjgross1
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 03, 2015

Paint and Vinyl Questions

I have an 87 GW in Spinnaker Blue that I'm restoring.

I have been heavily researching whether to remove the wood trim and repaint it, or leave the trim on and mask it off. I cannot find a firm answer... I think i am going to leave it on and mask it off and repair (re-stick with adhesive) the portions of the trim that are peeling. I have heard (and seen) if you take it off, it will be wavy when reapplied. Is leaving it on and masking it the right choice or is there some issue that I could run into by doing so?

As for vinyl, mine is in good shape on one side, however the other is faded and peeling, so i will need to replace all of it. What manufacturer/source is closest to the original Di-Noc? I have heard the current Team Grand Wagoneer Marine Teak is closest, but the samples I received look a little shiny in comparison to OE Di-Noc. The Marine Teak 3M repro di-noc from metrorestyling.com is nice and flat, but not the same wood grain pattern and the color differs slightly. Which should I go with, or is there another supplier?

Has anyone else recently gone through with this? I know Gunnar's vinyl comparison is great (thank you Gunnar), but new products are always coming out. Looking forward to hearing some opinions.
  • drherndon
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 12, 2000

I used 3m dinoc. Sourced from metro and then had a professional apply it. No waves. Looks professional. But I have a '76 and the panels are easy to cut and apply. I am sure an auto graphics pro would have no problem.

I think it is always better to paint a complete surface with as little masking as possible. Minimizes opportunity for lifting or peeling of paint. It takes time but better in long run.

Good luck

Comment

• J.Bradley
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 11, 2015

$1600 worth of molding and 3M Controltac vinyl from TGW

Jeremy

1989 Grand Wagoneer

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• WHSII
        Hack-Priss
        • Feb 06, 2010

Originally posted by zjgross1
        I have an 87 GW in Spinnaker Blue that I'm restoring.

I have been heavily researching whether to remove the wood trim and repaint it, or leave the trim on and mask it off. I cannot find a firm answer... I think i am going to leave it on and mask it off and repair (re-stick with adhesive) the portions of the trim that are peeling. I have heard (and seen) if you take it off, it will be wavy when reapplied. Is leaving it on and masking it the right choice or is there some issue that I could run into by doing so?

As for vinyl, mine is in good shape on one side, however the other is faded and peeling, so i will need to replace all of it. What manufacturer/source is closest to the original Di-Noc? I have heard the current Team Grand Wagoneer Marine Teak is closest, but the samples I received look a little shiny in comparison to OE Di-Noc. The Marine Teak 3M repro di-noc from metrorestyling.com is nice and flat, but not the same wood grain pattern and the color differs slightly. Which should I go with, or is there another supplier?

Has anyone else recently gone through with this? I know Gunnar's vinyl comparison is great (thank you Gunnar), but new products are always coming out. Looking forward to hearing some opinions.
        I believe a gent on E-bay refurbishes the trim. He will take yours in trade. BJ's or Team Grandwagoner also might have it available.

If the vinyl trim is curling up, and you are doing a "Restore" then in the long run, you probably will not be happy by just trying to glue it down.

Restore can be a harsh word, the "Prissy" people restore to new specs. If you want to be prissy, and glue it down on the edges, in two or three years you will not be happy. If you are looking for a two year window, then you might be ok.

If you are going to replace the wood grain vinyl, it goes under the vinyl trim,
        Last edited by WHSII; 10-15-2015, 03:05 PM.
        WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
        Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• steamship
          232 I6
          • Mar 18, 2011

I would agree. TGWs woodgrain is best reproduction at the moment.
          You can find many pictures on wagonmasters facebookside to get an idea of the look. If you just want to repaint and keep the vinyl than I think masking is the better way. Removing the trim without damage is very difficult and
          fixing it back another thing. Depends on the quality of the masking.
          If you want to use TGWs woodgrain I find out that their Cherry Oak is the best match for the original Marine Teak (compared to NOS 3M Marine Teak).
          Greetings,
          Gunnar
          1990 Grand Wagoneer - Baltic Blue/ Sand

Comment

• racegas
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 15, 2012

Stay away from the Mexican in Florida. A used car salesman personified.
            'Robert E Lee'
            89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

Working...
            X