• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClarkGriswald
    350 Buick
    • Jul 03, 2000

Woodgrain Removal Idea

Was talking to a friend the other day, who said that his father had done autobody work for his whole life.. and when he got older and wanted to use less elbow grease and more action, he would remove as much of that woodgrain label stuff or other similar large labels with the ole heatgun\scraper technique. Then he would just put on some GOOD rubber gloves and blast it with some Heavy Duty Easy Off oven cleaner.. this would eat right thru all that crud right to bare metal.. at which point he could clean it up and prime it . anyone ever try this?? Ive read a few articles on the web where people have used it for similar things.. and if you have ever used this stuff it is super nasty and must be handle with care but sounds like a possibility when i get around to stripping mine off (mabye then ill change my handle from clarkgriswald which is what all my friends have started calling me now). So if anyone has ever tried this or has any input please throw your two cents in.. perhaps this is messier than one would imagine but I can also imagine myself standing there with a can of label\adhesive remover scrubbing away with a rag.. not fun..

------------------

88 Grand Wagoneer
    D44's front\rear
    AMC 360
    TF 727
    NP 229 (Funky)
    Bone Stock (for now)
    NO RUNNING BOARDS!
    88 Rusting mound
    79 Rusting mound
  • Skye
    232 I6
    • Apr 09, 2000

Yeah, the heat gun should work on the sticker. The easyoff will eat down to the bare metal. Never used it on a car, used it on other painted metals though.

Ps, N.L. Vacation RULES!!

[This message has been edited by Skye (edited July 07, 2000).]
    83 Wagoneer.... um... thats all

Comment

• gbarrett
      258 I6
      • Jun 23, 2000

I just pulled all the woodgrain off my 84 GW. I put on some heavy leather gloves and fired up the heat gun. When the woodgrain got hot enough, I rubbed it off with the gloves. It took the adhesive and the vinyl in one step. Worked great.
      84 GW<br />Driveline is Ford 351/C6 combo.<br />New paint, carpet, stereo. Rhino grille, etc.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~getoverit/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>

Comment

• Administrator

I used a hair dryer on mine . Once the metal got nice and hot it peeled right off. Well, it was a little more tedious that I made it sound but it worked, with no residue or anything left over.

------------------
        Adam Zeimet
        IFSJA Webmaster
        83 Wagoneer LTD.

Comment

• Baker
          258 I6
          • Apr 09, 2000

I let it sit in the 100+ degree TX sun until 2:00, and it peeled right off...entire panels in single pieces. I still haven't got it off the tailgate, though--it's baked on or something, no amount of hair-dryering will get it off. Any suggestions?

------------------
          Baker
          '84 Grand Wagoneer "B.U.F.F" (Big Ugly Fat... um...Fellow)
          360,727,229, 44 & 20 (3.31s), 30x9.5
          If you don't know what all those numbers mean, you shouldn't be here.
          Baker<br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/jeepwreck.html\" target=\"_blank\">\'84 Grand Wag, fixer-upper.</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/nova/\" target=\"_blank\">\'71 4 door Chevy Nova</a> Must sell so I can buy my dream car!<br />Email me for details.

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
            350 Buick
            • Jul 03, 2000

Arent there also many small holes left when you remove the "trim" that surrounds the woodgrain stuff?? Shouldnt be much trouble to just weld em shut and grind em off i would imagine any insight here?? hehhe and yes Vacation rules... rusty.... rusty.. kids! .... dont shoot the family truckster russ!.. please... kids.... russ...

------------------

88 Grand Wagoneer
            D44's front\rear
            AMC 360
            TF 727
            NP 229 (Funky)
            Bone Stock (for now)
            NO RUNNING BOARDS!
            88 Rusting mound
            79 Rusting mound

Comment

• Coley
              327 Rambler
              • Apr 13, 2000

"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?"
              "Only the best, Clark.."

heh heh..sorry, I couldn't resist...

------------------
              84 GW
              360 NP229
              Daddy\'s Ice Cream Truck (4 yr old daugter named it)<br />84 GW<br />360 727 NP229<p>\"..Dooley had two daughters and a 40 gallon still..\"

Comment

• Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baker:
                I still haven't got it off the tailgate, though--it's baked on or something, no amount of hair-dryering will get it off. Any suggestions?
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember I had a little more trouble with the tailgate too. Since I was repainting the vehicle and was sanding down a good 3/4 of it due to rust anyways, I think I ended up just power sanding it off the tailgate =p

------------------
                Adam Zeimet
                IFSJA Webmaster
                83 Wagoneer LTD.

Comment

Don't know if this will work or not, but you could try pressure-washing the decal off. Let it get hot (sunlight should do the trick) and then let her rip! You can rent a high-powered press washer for around $30 a day, and when you're done with the woodgrain you can tackle the undercarriage.

Of course, I just bought a little C-H washer from Walmart: $100 and it blew all the caked-on oil and crud off my suspension bits and diffs. My mechanic loved me for it, and I think he adjusted his prices accordingly.

------------------
                  '78 Chero WT
                  401/4bbl/TH400/QT
                  44s F&R
                  "Jeep: the toughest 4-letter word on wheels"

Comment

• Baker
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 09, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClarkGriswald:
                    Arent there also many small holes left when you remove the "trim" that surrounds the woodgrain stuff?? Shouldnt be much trouble to just weld em shut and grind em off i would imagine any insight here?? hehhe and yes Vacation rules... rusty.... rusty.. kids! .... dont shoot the family truckster russ!.. please... kids.... russ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe on earlier ones, but my '84 had one pop rivet on each side, on the top front corner. If the pic works, the rivet's in the middle of the yellow circle.

------------------
                    Baker
                    Baker<br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/jeepwreck.html\" target=\"_blank\">\'84 Grand Wag, fixer-upper.</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/nova/\" target=\"_blank\">\'71 4 door Chevy Nova</a> Must sell so I can buy my dream car!<br />Email me for details.

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 03, 2000

Wow yes the picture worked.. so must be all those little plugs all along my outer trim piece are fake then?? is it just glued on there too?? I hope so that will make things much easier. Although a few of the plastic "plugs" are missing and looks like there is a rusty screw behind there.. I have an 88 G.Wagoneer.. Guess I'll find out once i tear into it.. Drivetrain and Suspension take priority over Body for now but I'll be there soon enough.. Thanx for the info.

------------------

88 Grand Wagoneer
                      D44's front\rear
                      AMC 360
                      TF 727
                      NP 229 (Funky)
                      Bone Stock (for now)
                      NO RUNNING BOARDS!
                      88 Rusting mound
                      79 Rusting mound

Comment

• Baker
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 09, 2000

Thick black foam-type double-sided tape on the trim...maybe it was the later ones that had rivets/screws, and the early ones didn't...maybe a Chrysler thing?

------------------
                        Baker

Comment

Working...
                        X