• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fsj4life
    232 I6
    • Apr 29, 2009

One wire alternator

I have a regular alt. But want to go to a one wire one has anyone took there stock alt and turned it into a one wire
  • snoopy
    232 I6
    • Nov 11, 2004

I have, it's kind of "coarse" on when it decides to charge but it simplifies wiring tremendously. When I first start it my headlights are kind of dim for a few seconds then they brighten like the regulator suddenly starts to charge, but it cleans up the wiring in the engine compartment a lot. Overall I give it a thumbs up.
    www.patriotguard.org/ because it does matter.

Comment

• fsj4life
      232 I6
      • Apr 29, 2009

Sweet hows it done if I go to a GM one wire I will not have the amps I have with my alt. That I have now

Comment

• FSJ Guy
        • Mar 20, 2005

Why are you trying to do this? The standard GM 12si alternator with the two wire connector (flat blade plug) is actually very easy to hook up independent of any other wiring and gives you a "check alternator" light, too!

The true "1 wire" alternators usually require revving up to a certain RPM in order to "self excite"

EXCELLENT alternator tech/theory/information at both of these links, written by the same author.

Ethan Brady
        1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• fsj4life
          232 I6
          • Apr 29, 2009

Just rewiring the whole jeep have a hei dist so just trying to get as few wires under the hood as possible

Comment

• hummer010
            232 I6
            • Jul 26, 2007

The one wire alternators are a little flawed in my opinion. I was going to try and sum it up here, but instead - here is a great article about it:

68 j3000 327/T18/D20 Work in Progress

Comment

• jwalton23
              258 I6
              • Jan 24, 2011

Originally posted by hummer010
              The one wire alternators are a little flawed in my opinion. I was going to try and sum it up here, but instead - here is a great article about it:

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Wiring/Part2/

holy Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley! that was alot of reading! great article though...I'm not sure it should be called an article that is more like a small book! very informative though.
              91 Grand Wagoneer

AMC 360 / Torqueflight 727 / NPM 229
              Dana 44 front and rear
              6" Rustys Offroad suspension lift
              BJ's quick disconnects
              BJ's PreRunner front bumper with winch plate
              fenders trimmed
              35x12.50x15's Maxxis Bighorn mudders
              Rhino grill
              http://www.tnjeeps.com/

Comment

• budojeepr
                350 Buick
                • Feb 02, 2006

I read something similar on www.alanhorvath.com. I'll stick with "regular old", thank you.
                Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

Working...
                X