• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • born2playhard
    232 I6
    • Feb 25, 2014

1972 J4000 Guru?

Trying to locate someone who knows a lot about these trucks. I have some general questions I'd like to ask them. Please PM me there phone # or shoot me a message and I can send them mine. I'm going to pick one up tonight if all goes well. Thx, Chris
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

This forum is pretty knowledgable and a good place to ask your questions.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Yes, you will be far better served asking your questions to the general forum (also check out fsjnetwork.com) than trying to find a single individual.

aa
      1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• born2playhard
        232 I6
        • Feb 25, 2014

J4000

I found a 72 J4000 that has a flat dump bed with wood stake sides, that was supposedly installed at the dealer in AL when it was purchased new. I've never seen one with this bed so trying to learn more about it. Beyond that it has a 360, AT, 4 wheel drum brakes, manual Windows/doors, 4 wheel drive, it's 5 lug wheels so I'm assuming Dana 44 front/rear, 1/2 ton?, transfer case has low and double low (never seen that on the later model J10's I've owned), was 1 owner low mile with zero rust when he got it. Going to pick it up today, looking forward to getting it home and tinkering with it and using it around our small farm. Again just trying to learn more bout it. I will post pics when I get it home. Thx for any info.

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by born2playhard
          I found a 72 J4000 that has a flat dump bed with wood stake sides, that was supposedly installed at the dealer in AL when it was purchased new. I've never seen one with this bed so trying to learn more about it. Beyond that it has a 360, AT, 4 wheel drum brakes, manual Windows/doors, 4 wheel drive, it's 5 lug wheels so I'm assuming Dana 44 front/rear, 1/2 ton?, transfer case has low and double low (never seen that on the later model J10's I've owned), was 1 owner low mile with zero rust when he got it. Going to pick it up today, looking forward to getting it home and tinkering with it and using it around our small farm. Again just trying to learn more bout it. I will post pics when I get it home. Thx for any info.
          If it has 5 hole wheels I'd guess the flatbed dump is a homebrew set-up. So far as I know the only trucks that came with a flatbed platform were the 8000GVWR "Z" trucks(7th digit of the VIN) and they are pretty obvious with dual rear wheels and 8 lug wheels and the hubs protruding through the wheels. The 5 hole wheels were on the W/X/Y models(7th digit of the VIN), 5000/6000/7000 GVWR respectively. W rear axle was a D44, the X,Y rears were "semi-floater D-60-2 axles. the Z's were 8 lug "full-floater" D-60's.
          Also never heard of a D20 tcase with a "double low range"?. I suspect your extra lever is to run the D20 power take-off for operating the dump bed. No way saying you got a bad truck but it's "originality" is highly suspect?
          Post up your VIN and we can help you determine how it came when originally built.
          joe

Comment

• born2playhard
            232 I6
            • Feb 25, 2014

J4000

Thanks for all your help. I went to pick up the truck tonight and was very excited to see this unicorn. Unfortunately, it was definitely a home brew dump bed (3 ton), definitely not factory, mounted on a 1/2 ton truck with a 5,000 GVWR. For the most part it was rust free except for the floor pans which were pretty bad under the padding under the vinyl mats. There were multiple other issues you wouldn't expect on a 1 owner with 59,000 miles. As cool as it was I had to walk away because I dint want a project to dump tons of money in, especially since it wasn't factory like I thought it was. Sometimes walking away is best... Thx again for all your help.

Chris

Comment

It could be D60-2 or D53 rear axle with the 5 lug.
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Were they still using the D53 by '72? I thought that was a late 60s thing. Did it run until the end of the Kaiser stuff in ~'73?

aa
                1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Cecil14
                  Were they still using the D53 by '72? I thought that was a late 60s thing. Did it run until the end of the Kaiser stuff in ~'73?

aa
                  You're correct Anthony the change over was 68ish.
                  joe

Comment

• itselliot
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 28, 2010

THIS?

Bid for the chance to own a 1973 Jeep J4000 Quadra-Trac Pickup at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #14,596.

There lots to see here on a J 4000
                    If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
                    [email protected]
                    616 four 03 44 0 five
                    '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
                    "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
                    '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

Originally posted by joe
                      You're correct Anthony the change over was 68ish.
                      Between soggy memory and DSPOs, I recall a D53 in a 71 J4000 that I parted long ago.
                      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                        I got the Willys....
                        • Jun 21, 2005

I'm not sure if they wh3re still offered by 72, but Jeep had factory 7' and 8' flat beds available on any GVW truck in through at least 69. Single or dual wheel width.
                        Thomas Russell
                        1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                        1971 Gladiator
                        J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                        1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

I have a 9’ bed I was going to put on my J4000 that’s just been leaning against my cabin the past 5 years.

Comment

• Crankyolman
                            350 Buick
                            • Sep 27, 2017

According to my owners and service manuals all models were available as a cab & chassis with no bed, I think it also says they were available with a stake bed. All front axles were D44s, on the 4500 the rear was a D44, which had 5 lugs. The 4600 had a D60 with 5 lugs. Other models also had D60s but more lugs.
                            '72 J4500

Comment

• joe
                              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Crankyolman
                              The 4600 had a D60 with 5 lugs. Other models also had D60s but more lugs.
                              Not only a lug count difference, the D60-2 in the J-4600 and 4700 is semi-floater axle where the D60 in the J-4800 is a full-floater axle. Completely different animal.
                              joe

Comment

Working...
                              X