• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thomastenn
    232 I6
    • Jun 30, 2008

dash swap?

is it possible to swap the dash from a earlier year say 70s or even 60s into a 1990 model gw and if so are we talking major fab work or simple bolt in ordeal?
    looking to initiate project j715
  • mt pokitz
    232 I6
    • Apr 02, 2008

The dash should fit fine, its the wiring nightmare that will follow. It shouldn't be that bad and would look cool. I like the look of the old dash.
    77 j10 short bed 360/3spd
    79 wagoneer rust in pieces
    79 cj5 258/t-18/d20

Comment

• addicted
      Big Meanie
      • Dec 11, 2004

Yep, it should fit just fine. The biggest issue is going to be getting the HVAC wiring to work with the old switches. Then there will be duct work rerouting for the floor and defrost. You will also have sender issues with the fuel level and possibly oil and water as well. I know the fuel sender resistance is different but not sure about the rest, I would assume so. Those will just need new senders that match the dash gauges. You might be able to fit a unerversal fuel sender in you current tank to fix that gauge.

It's all very doable just tedious and time consuming once the dash is in.
      Originally posted by Ristow
      i bet it was Simon....
      he's such big meanie that way...
      please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
        350 Buick
        • Jan 18, 2004

As everyone stated getting some of the switches to work (A/C etc might be a headache) also in the newer rig you have a voltmeter and the older ones have an ammeter. You will most likely want to do a gauge panel swap (look at Bj's offroad and instead of going with a new ammeter retain the voltmeter) or at least do the sunpro switch and replace the stock ammeter with a voltmeter from sunpro or some other brand that you like.)

I have been considering such a swap myself but isntead of retaining the switches etc from the older dash I was going to use all new switches etc. (I like the fact that the older dashes are metal, therefore I can make cuts, add material or do what I need to do in order to fit new/ or different items. With the new plasticy dashes you are really limited.)
        88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
        89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
        2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
        1. TBI
        2. New fuel tank
        3. AW-4 Transmission
        4. Aluminum condensor
        5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• swampedge
          258 I6
          • Oct 07, 2007

I'm doing this swap into my 76 Cherokee and you will have to remove the windshield to get to all of the bolts. They're two bolts on each side that have to be removed and the steering columns are different. You will have to open up the dash opening for the column to fit or go with the older column that matches the dash. This leads to the difference in the firewall opening and how it matches up there.
          Jim
          1970 Gladiator. Gen V 5.3. 8L90E.

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

Comment

• lost1
            350 Buick
            • Sep 21, 2008

Sort of on topic... has anyone got pictures, or a write-up on this? It's an interesting idea to be sure.
            Originally posted by Locked and Loaded
            Jeeps don't get stuck. People do.
            <══════════════════════════════>
            Let the good times roll!
            '83 Wagoneer«» 401/TF727/3:31 AMC20

Comment

Working...
            X