X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghinmi
    Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

I would if I had more material but I used it all up already. I can send you the .dwg file that I used to make it if that would help you any.
    Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
    http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
      Banned
      • Mar 01, 2009

Careful now...he might want a forged VIN tag....

If I ever moved back the CA I'd be more than happy to forge several VIN tags on my Jeeps to avoid that smog crap. They mostly look like pre-1970s rigs anyway.

Comment

• Ghinmi
        Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

The sticker on the door jamb means little to nothing IMO. The one on the firewall (and dash on later models) is the one you care about.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project

Comment

• Ghinmi
          Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Dropped the carb off to Horsepower Innovations to be gone through and upgraded again. It'll be one different looking Holley when it comes back.

Got the sound and heat insulation put on the roof. One layer of the sound deadening material that I put on the floor, one layer of reflective foil backed bubble wrap. Night and day difference when you tap on the roof.

Carpet, seats, etc installed.

Front section of the headliner installed. Waiting to put the back section in until I've got the spoiler mounted and reinforced.

Comment

• rreed
            350 Buick
            • Aug 21, 2006

And gas cap, gas cap was installed too. Hey I haven't forgotten you Ghinmi, I need to holler at you about TX. Been busy w/ sick youngan and trying to figure out how I can summarize and not have you reading War and Peace on the toilet.

To confirm please, on the roof you did a layer of sound deadening then the windshield shade stuff? I picked up a couple of them from the clearance rack to put in the roof of the ZJ to help insulate against this Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!able texas heat. Hoping it works well.
            47 Willys
            75 CJ-5
            81 Scrambler
            76/79/80/81/85 J20 (all the same truck)
            86 Grand Wagoneer - FOR SALE!!!
            96 ZJ

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Comment

• Ghinmi
              Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Yeah, got the gas cap on too. And the filler neck and fill hose too I guess.

When I get a minute I'll shoot you a PM later tonight, TX plans changed a little but it's still on. Hope the youngster is at least on the mend!

Yep, you've got it right, one layer of the sound deadening, then a layer of the reflective backed bubble wrap. I'm not sure if it's the same stuff as the window shades but it was like $25 for 24" x 25' roll at Lowes. I did some rudimentary heat testing this weekend and it seems to be really good stuff. Kind of necessary with a black roof.

Comment

• rreed
                350 Buick
                • Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, I was being silly about the water heater wrap stuff. It's the same thing, I just happened to notice a couple windshield sun shade thingies in the clearance rack. Some are just thin styrofoam w/ the foil front/back but some are the same bubble wrap w/ foil front/back, which is what I picked up. But yes, I hear the same thing and my ZJ is black so... And the headliner is falling down (thanks, Chrysler) so it's going to get stripped and the cardboard shell spray bomb rubberized.

Can't wait to see the carb build, along w/ the rest of it. You've given me plenty of daydreams of one day turbo-ing my J-20. I don't know why, just because it sounds cool I guess. Do you have to run premium, assuming you don't just run racing fuel all the time? Haha
                47 Willys
                75 CJ-5
                81 Scrambler
                96 ZJ

Comment

• Ghinmi
                  Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

The carb build is one of the few things I'm farming out. I'm lucky and have a friend locally that runs a high end carburetor business. www.horsepowerinnovations.com It's worth it for me to have him do the work because he's put in all the R&D work already and I can just bolt on the carb and go with minor adjustments. He's going to re-use my main body (Holley HP750 with annular boosters, porting, enlarged passages, etc). It'll get a billet base plate, dual needle and seat bowls, billet metering blocks, and Eric's special boost referenced power valve.

With 10.5:1 compression and the small cam, premium works without the turbocharger lol. So it runs racing fuel all the time now, that evil e85. Very affordable to drive actually, for what it is.

Comment

• rreed
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 21, 2006

Somewhere, Ristow just made an icky mess in his britches.

Yeah, I've been daydreaming about what kind of cool towing I could do w/ a turbo (twin turbos? haha) but then I realized most vehicles tend to need expensive fuel for it. And my really crummy bone stock motor might need some slight modifications. And lots and lots of money. Right now I'm just hoping to get the front brakes done before my next trip back home to Arkansas!
                    47 Willys
                    75 CJ-5
                    81 Scrambler
                    96 ZJ

Comment

• Ghinmi
                      Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

My phone camera has been out of commission for a while but I finally got it working again yesterday and forgot to take pictures. Got the rear spoiler reinforced and installed. Headliner is in and later model center bow retrofitted. Much better than the factory chrome one. Also been working on misc small stuff like the cruise control, shifter, etc.

Did take this video of the modified column shifter. Took a bit to get everything hooked up because of the way I repositioned the engine/trans. And a bit of doing to make positive and consistent shifts.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

• Ghinmi
                        Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Still chugging along a bit at a time. Got the passenger side doors cleaned up as best as I could and installed. Working on fitting up the driver's side ones, need to scrounge up some more hinge shims from the barn tomorrow.

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                          Banned
                          • Mar 01, 2009

WTH happened to the glossy blackness of your right rear quarter????

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Tinkerjeep
                            WTH happened to the glossy blackness of your right rear quarter????
                            He probably wet sanded it so he could polish it to a mirror-like finish.
                            Tony
                            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                              Banned
                              • Mar 01, 2009

it was pretty mirror-ific as it was, I thought.

dude! quit stalling and button her up...

Comment

• serehill
                                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                                • Nov 22, 2009

As always best read on the forum

Awesome build.

80 Cherokee
                                360 ci 727 with
                                Comp cams 270 h
                                NP208
                                Edlebrock performer intake
                                Holley 4180
                                Msd total multi spark.
                                4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Working...
                                X