• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

What do you think of my timing table?

I kind of suck at this timing table thing. Can you guys take a sanity check look at my open throttle table? Dizzy is set to 0 so everything on this table is exactly what is showing up at my engine. I feel like my engine should have a bit more power. My fuel tables are looking great at this point but for some reason I cannot wrap my head around timing. I do not hear any audible knock. I think my knock sensor was damaged in my engine fire so I don't trust it and can't replace it right now. I am just looking for some general advice. Like: "Gees! Your WOT is way less than I would expect" Or "Why does your timing come in so early/late?" or something like that. Then again, I'll take ANY advice.... Don't be gentle. If it's stupid, tell me it's stupid.

Thoughts?

407, ~9.5:1 compression, 224/224@50, 112LSA, Iron heads, port matched, Edelbroke Performer intake,

Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • Driftwood
    350 Buick
    • Jun 12, 2000

I would set the 401 to its proper timing instead of 0. You may see better results and performance resembling this. But I would definitely install a new knock sensor to get better graph information.

1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

With my computer controlling my timing, any timing at the distributor is added or subtracted from the table. IOW, if my distributor has 10 degrees of base timing, while cruising (say 2000RPM and 50kpa) I would have 10 degrees plus 40.8 for a total of 50.8. I can set my dizzy at 10, then subtract 10 from everything on this table but I find it easier to have my dizzy at 0 and go straight off this table. I have no vacuum or mechanical advance at my distributor at all; Vacuum can has been removed and mechanical advance has been welded.

With that said, I notice (when comparing these 2 tables) at WOT (high kpa on my diagram) my timing comes in really late... I'll try bringing some timing in a bit earlier on the right side of the table and graph.

For clarity, this table ONLY applies to open throttle. I have a completely separate table for idle (closed throttle).
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Driftwood
        I would set the 401 to its proper timing instead of 0. You may see better results and performance resembling this. But I would definitely install a new knock sensor to get better graph information.
        The image he posted isn't engine "data" it's merely a simulated graph of the timing table via tunerpro.

Marc it's hard to visualize when used to vacuum/mechanical timing, at least it was for me @ first.

For WOT(95/100) you'd want it all in by ~4k imho....
        So looking @ table it is kinda lacking on the high end for total timing.

The rest when vacuum advance "would have been" present is a balancing act. You are simulating a manifold vacuum curve, so high timing with high vacuum that drops out as vacuum decreases/load increases.

If you log data look @ timing table population in logs, you'll notice a large area that you'll never hit/utilize. Focus on the 85-100 MAP columns if you feel it could be better.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

That makes perfect sense. Little changes with each tune for I will take the 4 WOT columns and clean them up and go for a road test.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

OK, So I have done a few timing BINs in the last 3 days.

For the first one, I basically brought the 3 WOT columns to max timing (39 degrees) by 4k. I got some ping but but was north of 4K RPM. So I brought all timing in by 3000 RPM but lowered it to 37.5 degrees. That was MUCH better at WOT, a noticeable difference in power.

I also watched a couple videos from MSD and Holley about building a timing table from scratch. They basically started with a blank table, put idle timing from 0-850 RPM, then max timing at 3000rpm and later. Then, they used Excel or their own software to build a gradual transition between the 2. I copied them with my timing numbers.

Then they built another table that has idle RPM across the entire table and added vacuum/load timing so max timing comes in at about half/ three quarters throttle or more regardless of RPM. So I did that.

Then I added those 2 tables together and compared it to my existing table; Not so much on the numbers, but the shape. I adjusted my existing table, burned a BIN, and went for a cruise. Much better! Its got much more power. Still not as much torque as I was hoping for but much better.

This will be my last BIN for a few weeks but it is running pretty spectacular. I will post that table up later today.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

That is too much imho...
              I wouldn't go more than ~32 wot
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8