• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bc409
    232 I6
    • Sep 21, 2019

quadratrac question

My wife grew up with wagoneers and says they were the most stable feeling rigs she ever drove on snowy icy roads. I had 4x4 suburbans for her 20 years and she loved them but still not the same security feeling. Being a chev 4x4 guy I just figured they were another fulltime from the 70s like a 203 in a chev, ford , dodge. now that we are fixing up a 78 wagoneer ive been studying all the quadratrac info and I understand what shes referring to. I think the way the 1339 distributes power via the cones is what made it seem stable and solid to her. So my question ..? Do I dare put an aussie type locker in the rear or will that change the quadratrac action too drastically? this is just a fun mixed use rig not a hardcore crawler, bogger etc. thanks
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

My QT is converted to part time and both my axles are open so take this for what it's worth:
    I do not see an Ausie locker (or any locker, really) being a problem in the back. I do think you will be better off with a LSD or a Truetrac, though. Long term, just know, these QT cases are getting pretty expensive to keep going. The chains are pretty expensive these days and the cones are getting hard to find. I have gone through 3 cases keeping mine together in the last few years.

Keep your eye open in the classifieds here and craigslist, for cheap spare cases because if you suddenly "need" a case, you are going to pay through the nose. If you keep your eye open and buy a spare when you don't "need" it, you can get one for pennys.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

The ideal addition would be a selectable locker like an ARB. Leave it unlocked except when you need the traction, and be assured of the existing street manners of the factory open differentials.

If I went LSD, I would first think about a TracLock unit. These units are not aggressive and have splendid street manners. They have a couple of down-side issues - they tend to wear out pretty fast, so a used one will almost certainly need to be refreshed. The period ones also have a weaker case/carrier and side gears than many other LSDs, but that should not be an issue in an automatic/full-time app (no impact load).

JMO - a lunchbox locker (or any passive locker) will change the performance on icy streets. This is typical of lockers. I don't see how the presence of the Quadratrac will change that. Expect sudden changes of direction and darting left and right on patch ice.

If you like the Quadratrac but want all four wheels positively driven, the Quadradrive high-end fulltime used in the '99-04 WJs may be the vehicle for you.
      Last edited by tgreese; 09-27-2019, 10:56 AM.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

If it was me same only selectable, even a limited slip would decrease road manners in ice & snow.
        growing up in MN having owned and driven several QT equipped they did extremely well. Even drift busting, pulling out stranded vehicles in ditch etc w/o a locker.
        The RWD cars I owned with an lsd were awefully fun BUT sometimes they do NOT go where you want them to with both wheels spinning.
        Made for awesome rooster tails though.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
          350 Buick
          • Jul 09, 2009

I to did the Mile Marker part time kit on one of my Wagoneer's, and we live in the mountains where there is snow and ice.

While it is a lot more fun not to have full-time four wheel drive, it is no where near as sure footed in the rain, ice, and snow.

Oh sure I was able to do cool burn outs, but I might end up installing one of the many QT's I have laying around here back in it eventually when it gets back on the road.

As others have said, if you want to be able to lock the diffs, then you should install a select-able locker (IE: ARB, EATON.....).

I have ARB's sitting here just waiting on me to one day take them out of the box, and install them. Of course one of these days I might try to find time to work on one of the Waggy's?
          (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

This is just me but I think the MM kit sucks. I bet a lot of them were purchased just to keep the QT running after the stock differential melted down. Sure, you can do burnouts but if you saw how small the contact area is for engaging 4wd, you might cringe.

As for the question... If you live where there is winter with ice and snow, leave it stock. If you are going to rock climb and mud bog, may as well put a traction device in one or both axles.
            Flint
            Ran when parked.
            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              My QT is converted to part time and both my axles are open so take this for what it's worth:
              I do not see an Ausie locker (or any locker, really) being a problem in the back. I do think you will be better off with a LSD or a Truetrac, though. Long term, just know, these QT cases are getting pretty expensive to keep going. The chains are pretty expensive these days and the cones are getting hard to find. I have gone through 3 cases keeping mine together in the last few years.

Keep your eye open in the classifieds here and craigslist, for cheap spare cases because if you suddenly "need" a case, you are going to pay through the nose. If you keep your eye open and buy a spare when you don't "need" it, you can get one for pennys.
              Wow. I consider you very fortunate sir. Only 3 cases to keep yours going the last few years. I went through 16 QTs last year. 2 of them had MM kit in them so out of 14 differentials, I salvaged enough to have 2 very good differentials and several sets of cone & thrust washers and Edrive shifter parts. Fortunately I have never paid more than $50 for an unknown condition QT. I refuse to and prefer to be able to run a torque bias test before laying down money. Several of them were free or acquired by trade. Seriously, I salute you.
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 77Deepj20
                232 I6
                • Jan 24, 2016

If it's mostly street and dirt road type use, a limited slip rear adds a lot to any vehicle. If you want a little more aggressive, use a selectable locker.

I'm using a fulltime np203 in my j20 with an open front and limited slip rear and it's one of the most stable trucks I've ever driven in rain and snow. Its solid offroad too. I had plans to do a front selectable locker, but life is moving on and I dont do much offroading anymore to justify it.
                1977 j20. Dana 60's, 4:10's Chrysler 360/np435/NWF blackbox/np203
                Hummer military 24 bolt wheels and 37" mt/r's.

Comment

• mattparliament
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 13, 2004

My 76 quadratrac with a powertrax lunchbox locker rear will climb a tree if I asked it too, just have to be sure to lock in the e-drive when needed. I don’t do anytime my crazy tho, basically my hunting rig here in MT
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                  1976 Cherokee 401 Quadratrac
                  4" Rusty's Spring lift 31" tires
                  All MSD ignition system
                  EZ EFI status: Running Smooth!
                  1999 Dakota Seats
                  2000Tahoe Console
                  Powertrax No-slip lunchbox rear locker
                  Amp meter delete
                  Two Wire 94Amp Alternator upgrade

Comment

Working...