• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tte531
    230 Tornado
    • May 24, 2016

Deep Pan/Crossmember

Ok so i know this has been asked but im not getting a definite answer from the threads.

1983 Wagoneer Limited 5.9L

First off the pan.
    I bought a B&M aluminum trans pan. It wont pass the valve body and crossmember to fit. I could probably install a new trans mount and it might pass BUT im afraid the clearance would be to close in case i was to flex something to far between the trans mount and crossmember and crack the pan. Is there another aluminum pan that will clear more easily?

Second, lets say there isnt a better pan...
    How about fabing up a new crossmember that would allow for the pan to be easily installed and dropped in case i needed too. PLUS i could make the crossmember to allow for a skid plate to be adapted to it when i go back to Ouray.... Has anyone done this? Made a crossmember that is.

Third...
    Should i just return the aluminum pan and get a P3690730AB steel pan from Mopar, and not adjust the crossmember. It would be less work and cheaper... but would it be less beneficial in the long run... i mean at that point should i keep the stock pan and go on with my life?

What say you ? Thanks for any input.
  • Darwin1876
    232 I6
    • Jan 16, 2015

I have a deep pan on my TF-727 on my 88 Grand Wagoneer. My didn't clear either. So removed the lower bolts or nuts I can't remember which it has. Used a jack and a block on the transfercase. Jacked it up a couple inches installed the pan torqued the bolts and set the mount back down and reinstall the bolts or nuts.
    78 J10
    88 Grand Wagoneer
    89 Grand Wagoneer
    72 J4000
    64 J200 (parts truck)

Comment

• Marineviper
      232 I6
      • Jul 10, 2015

Maybe find a pan off of a 45re from a 2nd gen ram. Same bolt pattern as a 727 and deeper. I don't know how much more than 727 or how much less than b&m.
      76 j10 short, 360 nailhead th400 D20, 3.54, 4" lift, 31" bfg ko2

HEI
      CS130 105amp
      Comp cam sk10-200-4
      Edelbrock performer w/1406

Comment

• Tte531
        230 Tornado
        • May 24, 2016

Did it put the pan super close to the crossmember? Like close enough that if the drive train flexed on that bushing the pan would hit? Think thats my concern but i am installing a new trans mount bushing.

That would probably be cheaper... I wanted to use her to pull my old airstream around (not a large one) or my trailer so i wanted to keep her as cool as possible. thats why i chose an aluminum pan...

Comment

• cma
          350 Buick
          • Jan 26, 2012

So how did it ends up?

Originally posted by Tte531
          Did it put the pan super close to the crossmember? Like close enough that if the drive train flexed on that bushing the pan would hit? Think thats my concern but i am installing a new trans mount bushing.

That would probably be cheaper... I wanted to use her to pull my old airstream around (not a large one) or my trailer so i wanted to keep her as cool as possible. thats why i chose an aluminum pan...
          Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• Tte531
            230 Tornado
            • May 24, 2016

Ok so i ended up just jacking up the transmission and installing a new poly mount. This raised the trans up considerably but still not enough to fit the pan.

It looks like if i remove some of the fins it might fit but i hate to try, fail and be unable to return it.

Its looks like an old user 'Hankrod' claimed he had done it but appears to be banned lol so just my luck....
            Last edited by Tte531; 05-30-2017, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X