360 AMC
    • Jul 28, 2002

Originally posted by Cow Killer:
    www.onboardair.com
    thats sooooo the easy way out

Helpful Diagram with OBA.com part number's

[ November 11, 2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: SLOwag ]
    All It Takes Is Money.
    I'm the reason why you can only have Jeeps for Avatars. You're welcome.

Comment

• dnixon
      360 AMC
      • Jul 28, 2002

Originally posted by SLOwag:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cow Killer:
      www.onboardair.com
      thats sooooo the easy way out

*EDIT* easy way and VERY EXPENSIVE way.. the stuff from the links i provided above is a TENTH of what OBA.com is charging. Looks like a good parts LIST source but i am getting my stuff the above sources, All the stuff looks the same too. *EDIT DONE*
      Helpful Diagram with OBA.com part number's
      </font>[/QUOTE]
      All It Takes Is Money.

Comment

• DieselSJ
        304 AMC
        • May 19, 2003

One of the guys over on the CJ boards started with a small air compressor from Checker/Shucks/Kragen - something like $60 for a tank, pressure gauge, safety valve and pressure switch. He pulled off the 110v motor/pump, mounted the tank and plumbed it to his York, and wired an on/off switch through the pressure switch. Plus, it is all in a nice compact package.
        -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
        -99 XJ Limited.
        -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
        -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Zorm
          304 AMC
          • Apr 08, 1997

Ok, have any of you seen OBA with A/C? I have a york for my A/C and it blows nice and cold, now I wnat to put OBA on but keep the A/C any place I can go have a look see?
          I have a 258 so the compressor is already mounted on the left side (looking at if from the front) I was thinking about mounting another comp on the right side, above the power stearing pump
          83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

I have been finding a lot of chrysler products in the wreckers lately with a v-twin type compressor. I looks like it would have a separate sump for oil, similar to the York style. Has anyone tried to use one of this style for OBA yet?

Comment

• BlueduckFSJ
              327 Rambler
              • Feb 21, 2003

would like to know what is said re: what Zorm said.
              1979 Cherokee Chief W/T \"Blueduck\"<br />360 AMC<br />Automatic <br />TH400<br />Quadra-Trac <br />Edelbrock Performer 4 Barrel<br />TFI Upgrade<br />Rhino Grille <br />D44 Front/Rear<br />33x12.50x15 on Rock Crawlers<br />4\" BJ\'s<br />Terra-Flex Swaybar Disconnects<br />Durabak in and out.<br />Tuffy Console w/ Pioneer CD<br />BJs Dozer Bumpers Front and Rear

Comment

• firechero
                350 Buick
                • Feb 22, 2003

someone drive to des moines and help me use my ac compressor to make some onboard air! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                all sold out of jeeps

Comment

• dnixon
                  360 AMC
                  • Jul 28, 2002

Dude you can do it. Just some cutting some snipping and some connecting. Nothing a FSJer couldn't handle. But just make sure your A/C is purged before you start cutting into the lines, its VERY serious if it isn't. You can take it to a place and they can make sure it's empty. You'll jack your self up if it has some R-12/134 in it. Just post if you come into an problems. I haven't done it myself yet but I dont't for see any problems..
                  All It Takes Is Money.

Comment

• jode
                    JB Welder
                    • Apr 08, 2002

Slowag- the check valve you posted is rated 2.5 GPM

Your compressor prolly does 8-12 CFM

You might want to watch that...
                    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• dnixon
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 28, 2002

Originally posted by jode:
                      Slowag- the check valve you posted is rated 2.5 GPM

Your compressor prolly does 8-12 CFM

You might want to watch that...
                      Yeah i didn't really check out that stuff to well. I was just seeing you guys could anything wrong there.. So thanks for your good eye. So far that place has the cheapest stuff i have found. But I am a little ways off from buying everything just yet...

Thanks again...
                      All It Takes Is Money.

Comment

• Sycho15
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 15, 2002

Isn't there a big space across from the gas tank to mount an air-tank? You know, on the other side of the driveshaft... One of the portable air tanks from Wal-Mart would probably fit there, mounted up-side-down (hung from it's "feet").

Also, you could use a big section of thick-walled PVC pipe. The PSI rating on PVC is very high since it is designed for carrying water, which doesn't compress. The only draw-back to PVC is that instead of denting, it'll shatter. Instead of cracking and leaking some air out, it'll pretty much explode if over-pressurized. Granted that is what the relieve valve is for...
                        1975 J20 401/TH400/BW1305

Comment

• dnixon
                          360 AMC
                          • Jul 28, 2002

Yeah you could put it on the other side but usually people have the exhaust running over there.. but if you don't i guess that would work.. but if you have tires over 29" in diameter then you won't need that stupid donut spare and when you remove the tire it provides a large area for mounting an air tank.. at least thats what i think i am going to do...
                          All It Takes Is Money.

Comment

• firechero
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 22, 2003

i just bought a york compressor with the intent to create on board air, but i need to research it a little more so i know whats going on
                            all sold out of jeeps

Comment

Originally posted by Sycho15:
                              Isn't there a big space across from the gas tank to mount an air-tank? You know, on the other side of the driveshaft... One of the portable air tanks from Wal-Mart would probably fit there, mounted up-side-down (hung from it's "feet").

Also, you could use a big section of thick-walled PVC pipe. The PSI rating on PVC is very high since it is designed for carrying water, which doesn't compress. The only draw-back to PVC is that instead of denting, it'll shatter. Instead of cracking and leaking some air out, it'll pretty much explode if over-pressurized. Granted that is what the relieve valve is for...
                              Envision a rock, or piece of metal from the hwy coming back at speed and nailing that plastic air bomb under the vehicle. I think I would let someone else prove through use, this application before I would consider it. If the thing does grenade, those shards of plastic are closest to the RR tire. There are plenty of steel air tanks of all sizes available in the heavy truck wrecker yards with all the right bungs in them already.

Back to the original thread for a moment.
                              Regarding compressors, I have been noticing that some chrysler products have a V-twin type compressor with what looks like a separate oil sump. Has anyone used or checked these out as an alternate to the York compressor?

[ November 20, 2003, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: gladiator ]

Comment

• Slim
                                327 Rambler
                                • Nov 18, 2003

i mounted daul 5 gallon metal air tanks in mine ,,,under where the spare tires used to be ,,,,since the Jeep has a body lift ,,the tanks were able to tuck up nice and high

the tanks were easy to buy also ,,,just went to one the the Big Truck shops,,and they use them on all the semi's ,,,
                                77 Cherokee chief ,360 cid,quadra-trac,chopped /bobbed 12" , 8point cage, front exo ,d60frt 14bolt rear ,38.5x14.5x16.5 on beadlocks ,frt & RR winch,OBA ,SOA,shackle flip rear

** Island Rock Crawlers**

4WDABC Member
                                BCWF Member

Comment

Working...
                                X