• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LYNCHMOB
    232 I6
    • May 05, 2002

6.5l Turbo Diesel Swap

I would like help from anyone who has done a 6.5l turbo diesel swap in a full size jeep. I have an '82 Cherokee that I'm putting a '93 6.5 turbo diesel in and need "SPECIFIC" guidelines to go by(pictures, wiring, mods, difficulties, etc.). I think I've read every thread available on the subject, and still need some advice. I am a novice mechanic. I can change starters, alternators, etc., but this is a much larger task to take on, but it is also something that I want done. Can anyone help me out, without telling me I'm crazy?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    w/ '99 24v cummins,
    NV4500
    NP 241
    Dana 60 Front axle
    Dana 70-HD Rear axle
    37x12.50x17
    6"-9" lift w/ SOA conversion
  • 8379qtj10
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 20, 2006

Make sure you get a complete truck for all the little parts.
    Tyler Johnson
    No Jeep

It's been real...it's been fun...but it ain't been real fun.

Comment

• crazydog
      350 Buick
      • Nov 19, 2005

A TSM for each vehicle would help with wiring and other connections.

(Do you have a mechanically or electronically injected 6.5?) Delete this on edit, I should have read the post better.
      Last edited by crazydog; 10-18-2006, 05:02 PM.
      1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• BRUTUS
        360 AMC
        • Dec 06, 2005

Have you already thought through the tranny & transfer case adapting? It should be a major consideration if you are changing engines. Do the adapters exist in the aftermarket or are you going to have to make your own?

Have you mocked the engine in the frame rails dimensionally? it might sit too low on the frame rails so that it still connects to the tranny? I can think of about 30 different things that could kill this project before it even gets off the ground. But I don't want to be a devils advocate because I still want you to do it.

I would almost say that you should find someone that has done this engine swap and PM them for advice. I have a feeling that there MIGHT be one or two of them on here that could help you... if that many exist.

Best of luck.
        "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
        Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
        Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• ohioj20
          304 AMC
          • Nov 26, 2001

Here is a brief write up I did on my J20

"
          Alright guys!! I'm in NE Ohio, close to Akron. The J20 got her 6.2 two years ago. It came from a 1984 GMC Van. It had the TH 700 tranny, but I didn't have the money to buy an adaptor for it to my t-case.

Alright, we removed all the electrical wiring that was for the engine, glow plug wiring, wait to start light, water in fuel light, etc. I also used the motor mounts, but had to make new frame mounts to put on the J20. We used the ignition wiring for the J20. Oh, took out the glow plug relay also. Wiring wasn't that bad, and no polution crap to worry about. The motor fits in snug around the heater box and the brake booster. We did use the Jeep brakes, as GMC uses hydrulics for brakes, but wouldn't hurt to have a belt driven vaccuum pump as well as the gear driven one.

Now, the 6.2 has the same bellhousing as a Chevy 350, as for the bellhousing a bought from a bone yard was for a 350. Now, we had to get an 1/4" steel plate to make our own adaptor for the bellhousing and the T-18. Luckily my cousin is a true machinist. So, that saved the money from Advance Adaptors, which want $300 for the same thing.

The great thing is, I can access the glow plugs from inside the fender, and it is ALOT easier than changing spark plugs from a AMC 360!!

As for how I like it. I LOVE it when it is above 45 degrees out! If you don't plug it in when it gets colder, it is a pain to start. Also, you don't have the room for the two batteries GMC uses. Need to get the biggest cranker you can squeeze in there.

I also had to use the van's filler nozzle, or you couldn't fill the truck up with the stock jeep nozzle. I also had to cut out the area into the tank, to allow a bigger pipe to go in(diesel foams when filling). Another perk, I put in the van's 30 gallon tank where my spare tire goes, so I now have 48 gallons at 22 MPG, you do the math!

Towing: It doesn't take off like some madden woman, but tows great. It did get hot on a real long grade, but didn't over heat. I also used the stock AMC 3 core on it, just had to get the ports changed. I would recommend a 4 core, that is what I have for the GW. I also bought an electric exillery fan to use to prevent that on the J20. The gearing in the J20 and the T-18 is perfect for a 6.2 I will get pictures of the set up soon, the J20 is covered up for the Winter so Ohio Salt doesn't eat her up!

Now, the GW is a work in progress, I have the motor, but I am currently in the process of body work and paint. My plan is to use the TH 700 from the van, but I got a TH 400 that came with the Suburban for the GW. My only concern is the weight of the motor on the front axle of the GW.

Now, if I left anything out, let me know or feel free to ask more! E-mail me if you want at [email protected]"
          Kenny
          1982 Jeep J10 body going on 1991 Dodge W250 frame with a Cummins and 5speed
          1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 V-8

Comment

• scotty
            • Jun 12, 2000

i just went thru this. not knowing much about diesel engines its alittle overwelming of a concept to swap a turbo diesel into something that was gas powered,so i can understand your concerns.

i didnt swap a gm diesel into my jeep,but into my home made crew cab chevy truck. i have a 6.2 with a banks turbo on a stand that i was going to use,but ended up swapping in a normally aspirated 6.2 first so i could kinda figure out what i was doing.

i used the 700r4 that came behind the donor 6.2. in my case getting it all bolted up was easy cause i was replacing a 305

like ohio j20 said,the belhousing pattern and motor mounts are the same,so you can bolt the engine into your jeep chassis using any kit designed to mount a small block chevy. i personally like to use the entire engine/tranny/transfer case combination if possible so no adapters are needed. if you use a 700r you can prolly swap the gm 208 input into a jeep NP 208 case and maybe have to drill some new holes on the adapter to clock it where you need it.

i didnt use any of the donors wiring. after much research i went with a manual glow plug button instead of trying to get the factory controller to work.

a bare bones minimum of what youll need to get a mechanical GM diesel running is:
            1)someway to activate the glowplugs(i used a manual relay)
            2) ignition on voltage to the terminal on the injection pump.

there are a couple other things to hook up:there is a switch on the pass side cyl head to activate a cold start timing advance and fast idle. i just routed wire from my "ignition on wire" to the switch,then to the termianal on the injection pump and the solenoid on the throttle.

also there is a module and wiring that hooks to the TPS and a to control convertor lockup when using the 700r. i didnt get any of that from the donor and simply hooked my convertor to a toggle switch.

i can help you figure out where what senders are when its time to hook up the gauges,and if you go with the turbo right off the bat,youll need to make sure you hook up an exhaust temp gauge. if its a factory turbo,i dont know for sure that it will have a factroy pyro,but youll definately what to have one so when the bug hits you to start tweaking it you wont overfuel it and blow it up

i didnt use either of the factory "coolant heaters" for the tranny and engine oil. ive never like the idea of using the radiator to try and cool anythhing other than the engine coolant,so i hooked up external coolers for my engine oil and transmission. still on the "to do" list is get a gauge hooked up for each.

the other thing i did was covneret to a carter electric fuel pump and better fuel filters. an electric pump does wonders for getting the air bled out of the fuel system when youre starting it the first time,or if you need to change the filters,or in the event that you run it out of gas one thing you want to avoid is getting air in the fuel system-mechanical diesels reall,really hate that and it will take you forever to get it bled out with the factory mechanical pump.

last and not least,you can prolly find answers to just about eveything you could ever think of by searching here: http://www.gm-diesel.com/

when i was first getting mine swapped and running i spent lots of time there going thru posts and found the info great,and the guys over there are quite friendly.

i cant be more specific on what clearance issues youll have with the turbo and things in the chassis,but i can hopefully help with some of the general questions of going gas to diesel.

a quick pic of the freshly installed 6.2 in my "home made crew cab" chevy:

from the top:

from the driver side:

further questions?
            Last edited by scotty; 10-19-2006, 07:41 AM.
            scotty
            85 grand wagoneer
            258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
            38" TSL SXs
            chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• LYNCHMOB
              232 I6
              • May 05, 2002

Scotty, OhioJ20, and everyone else I thank you for your info. and I appreciate your time. Scotty and OhioJ20, I hope you don't mind if I contact you all for more info. as I move forward with this project, since you've already experienced this challenge? If you mind let me know. I've heard that there are several diesel converted FSJ's in Texas and would be interested if any of them are close to me? I live outside the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex and could use some help(visuals). If anyone else has any info., it's all appreciated. Thanks again Scotty for your feedback.

Sincerely,
              Ryan
              w/ '99 24v cummins,
              NV4500
              NP 241
              Dana 60 Front axle
              Dana 70-HD Rear axle
              37x12.50x17
              6"-9" lift w/ SOA conversion

Comment

• crazydog
                350 Buick
                • Nov 19, 2005

Do not forget this valuable resource.

1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• scotty
                  • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by LYNCHMOB
                  Scotty, OhioJ20, and everyone else I thank you for your info. and I appreciate your time. Scotty and OhioJ20, I hope you don't mind if I contact you all for more info. as I move forward with this project, since you've already experienced this challenge?
                  nope,dont mind at all. as i mentioned,i wont know much about fitting it into the chassis,but ill help however i can with the getting everything running and hooked up once you get it there.

i can give you part#s and links for the pump and filters im using,as well once you get that far.

also,having now done it,i dont think the turbo being there presents any extra challenges. if you can get a complete,good running turbo engine grab it. the turbo kind of scared me since i was new to the diesel thing, but it really doesnt add any extra challenges to the swap,other than getting it to physically fit in the chassis. another reason i went ahead and put in this n/a engine is cause i got a whole truck and could get it running first. my turbo motor spins over by hand,but ive not heard it run,and its not in a chassis i cam make it run. i hated to go thru the hassle of swapping it to find out that it maybe had some sort of internal issue.

feel free to post up here,shoot me a PM or an email any time
                  scotty
                  85 grand wagoneer
                  258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
                  38" TSL SXs
                  chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• ohioj20
                    304 AMC
                    • Nov 26, 2001

Originally posted by LYNCHMOB
                    Scotty, OhioJ20, and everyone else I thank you for your info. and I appreciate your time. Scotty and OhioJ20, I hope you don't mind if I contact you all for more info. as I move forward with this project, since you've already experienced this challenge? If you mind let me know. I've heard that there are several diesel converted FSJ's in Texas and would be interested if any of them are close to me? I live outside the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex and could use some help(visuals). If anyone else has any info., it's all appreciated. Thanks again Scotty for your feedback.

Sincerely,
                    Ryan
                    feel free!! [email protected] is the best way
                    Kenny
                    1982 Jeep J10 body going on 1991 Dodge W250 frame with a Cummins and 5speed
                    1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 V-8

Comment

Working...
                    X