• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jman
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 19, 2004

6.2l in fsj?

hey been lurking awhile, thought i'd join up. anyway anybody ever put a 6.2l in a fsj? any problems you've run into, or tips?

I've got a good running 6.2 in a suburban and another 6.2 for parts, and i just picked up a sm465 and an np205.
  • jlchilcot
    258 I6
    • May 14, 2003

Yes its been done and is supposed to be pretty easy. Do a search for 6.2 diesel. There are some good threads on the subject. I am thinking of doing the same thing. Or I might hold out for a 3.9 cummins...
    75 J-20 360 T-18
    77 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
    80 CJ-7
    2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0
    2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke

See my Jeeps here
    http://picasaweb.google.com/jchilcot

Comment

• shackwrrr
      360 AMC
      • Mar 04, 2006

yea look up ohioJ20 iirc he has done it to his j20 and he is planning on doing it to his waggy
      Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

It's been done here a couple of times and I think one or two ongoing swaps but don't know if there's ever been a write-up done. General consensus is that's it's one of the easier swaps especially since you have an entire donor vehicle. So far as using the 205 it depends on what year Wag you have regarding front differential location. I believe the 205 is pass side output so easiest would be in a 79 or earlier Wag with the front diff on the pass side. 80 and later it's on the drivers side.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Jman
          230 Tornado
          • Dec 19, 2004

searched through everything i could find, got a better idea of how it's going to work now, but it raised some more questions.

i want to use the stock 6.2l radiator, but i need a better idea of how they fabbed the front clip to fit. if anybody has a pic that would be great.

i have a general idea of how a turbo works but no idea how to mount one up or keep it alive.

im not doing a complete swap over from my parts rig, Im going to use a sm465/np205 instead of the th400/np208, but im not sure which bellhousing i should use. can i get away with using a stock sbc bellhousing, if i can what starter should i use? or what kind of clutch for that matter. or do i need to find one from behind a 6.2/6.5, that fits the diesel starter?

the truck im swapping into is a 1979 j10 w/ 360, th400, q-trac w/ low range and d44's front and rear

Comment

• Grimjaw
            232 I6
            • Jun 30, 2005

I bought a M1028 just for the drive line (6.2/400/205/D60/14B). This is all going in the J10. I may need a shoe horn but it should fit.

I may need to swap the trany for either a th700r4 or a nv4500 for the OD. The axles are 4.56 gears with a limited slip in front and a Detroit locker in rear.

The 6.2L use standard SBC engine mounts with are available for the FSJs.
            Ivan the Terrible
            1979 J10 360/400/bw1339

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
              304 AMC
              • Feb 02, 2006

the 6.2 uses the same bellhousing pattern as the SBC and BBC. the diesel starter will fit just fine even with that BH (unless it is an old grain truck bellhousing where the starter bolts to IT and not the block). the only hurdle to your plan is the flywheel. personally, i would take the SBC flywheel adn the stock 6.2 flexplate to a machine shop, have them figure out the amount of imbalance for the 6.2, and duplicate that amount of imbalance on the SBC flywheel. i have a 6.2/700/208 bub with a gale banks turbo kit on it. no brain surgery involved... it is good that you have the whole truck, even if you are using different trans and t-case, though you may be wishing for an overdrive when it is done (or for 3.08 axles gears)

peace
              Dave
              There is no way to rule innocent men.
              The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
              Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
              One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• Jman
                230 Tornado
                • Dec 19, 2004

cool, that will make it alot easier to find a bellhousing.
                funny thing is one of my parts rigs had a 700r4, but i sold it.
                i have thought about an overdrive,specifically the ranger gear splitter
                http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss...roverdrive.htm.

the more shifters the better,well i think so.
                Last edited by Jman; 05-15-2006, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• neo
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 23, 2006

jlchicot, is the 3.9 the diesel used in the Dodge? Have there ever been diesel's connected tot he 727 in any of the trucks offered by Dodge (or others?) Thanks!
                  Pain is Weakness leaving the body...
                  89 Waggy with GM6.2 banks turbo, guages, 700R4, 4" BD lift, NP208 t-case and lots of blood and spit.
                  96 GMC burb w6.5 TD, AFE intake, guaes, 3" downpipe and crossover, no cat or muffler
                  95 Defender 90 - bone stock
                  2003 G500 (wifes) - I hate mercedes!!
                  1970 Goat Convertible - resto nearing completion

Comment

• CheapJeep
                    350 Buick
                    • May 09, 2000

there was a nissan diesel mated to a odd boltpattern 727 in 76-80 scouts, but even with the turbo it would not be a good match for a fsj
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    Scott

Skepticism is the default scientific position.

1978 Wagoneer Limited For Sale
                    360 TH400 Q-trac w/ Lo Projection

88 GW Soon to be my trail rig!

Comment

• crazydog
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by neo
                      jlchicot, is the 3.9 the diesel used in the Dodge? Have there ever been diesel's connected tot he 727 in any of the trucks offered by Dodge (or others?) Thanks!
                      No, Dodge uses the 5.9 Cummins. The 3.9 is a four cylinder version that shares many parts with the 5.9.

Best tranny to use would be a 47RH.
                      Last edited by crazydog; 05-15-2006, 08:35 PM.
                      1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 02, 2006

to take this diesel thread way out there.... 727's were used in Iveco trucks with Deutz air-cooled diesels, and some even made it over here...

peace
                        Dave
                        There is no way to rule innocent men.
                        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• jlchilcot
                          258 I6
                          • May 14, 2003

Neo, The 3.9 comes in alot of panel vans like the frito lay trucks. Most That ive seen on the net have either a Th400 or a GM 4 speed.
                          75 J-20 360 T-18
                          77 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
                          80 CJ-7
                          2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0
                          2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke

See my Jeeps here
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/jchilcot

Comment

• neo
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 23, 2006

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't really know anything about the 5.9C or the 3.9C, both are very interteresting since I have been really wanting to do the diesel conversion myself. I have been lurking around looking for the 6.2, but so far no luck. I really want to do this, but have to weigh it against the almighty $$ and the better half that simply does not understand why I want to change something that aint broke!! Thanks!!
                            Pain is Weakness leaving the body...
                            89 Waggy with GM6.2 banks turbo, guages, 700R4, 4" BD lift, NP208 t-case and lots of blood and spit.
                            96 GMC burb w6.5 TD, AFE intake, guaes, 3" downpipe and crossover, no cat or muffler
                            95 Defender 90 - bone stock
                            2003 G500 (wifes) - I hate mercedes!!
                            1970 Goat Convertible - resto nearing completion

Comment

• FSJeeper
                              King of Unfinished Projects
                              • May 20, 2000

There are a number of 6.2/6.5 FSJ's running around Texas and at least one awesome M715 with a 6BT Cummins conversion that is a daily driver and work horse.

I have done the conversion before and have been involved in another Wag conversion. Going to drop a built 6.2 in my Cherokee WT after the Ouray invasion.

Straight forward conversion, no huge issues, plan it out in advance and think everything through and you'll have no problems. Always much better to buy a complete donor vehicle which will save you time and a lot of money in the long run.

Any questions feel free to IM me.
                              In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

Working...
                              X