• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean
    258 I6
    • Apr 09, 2000

Z shaped steering links vs dropped arms

Hi All, since I'm ranting (at what I see in the magazines) I thought I would throw this out too. I've seen a few 4x4 type mags that show Z shaped steering arms to "correct" bumpsteer after a lift. They are usually captioned with a blurb about a staight arm is bad and causes bumpsteer. I feel that the Z arm is functionally the same as a straight arm. And that only by having the joint at the steering box nearly level with the joint at the knuckle will you control bumpsteer. What are your thoughts, are the rags just promoting advertisers at our expense? Dean.

------------------
    '78 Wagoneer Limited
    401/Q-trac W/low range
    Stock for now.........
    '78 Wagoneer Limited, 401/Q-trac W/low range. Mods so far, carter 4 bbl., rancho 3" lift, rancho RS5000 & RS9000,GB ign upgrade. '85 GW now with reverse, but great body. Donor rigs, '84 GW, '78 J20.

that is correct.
    unless the pitman arm is in the same plane as the tie rod, u will get bumpsteer.

i have a Z bar...so to speak...on my SOA 66 wag...

------------------
    1966 Super Wagoneer
    'The Predecessor'

Comment

• Lococoin
      232 I6
      • May 07, 2000

So is it worth it to go with just a 4 inch drop pitman arm if u are going with a soa and 4 inch lift springs?

or does anyone make a engineered z bar drag link that i could buy?

------------------
      Steve (77 jeep j20)
      360 four barrel
      t18a Dana 20
      dana 60 rear
      dana 44 front
      3.73 gears with limited slip in rear
      Of all the jeeps out there, some are GOOD, some BAD, but mines UGLY!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lococoin:
        So is it worth it to go with just a 4 inch drop pitman arm if u are going with a soa and 4 inch lift springs?

or does anyone make a engineered z bar drag link that i could buy?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
        Lococoin...

A drop pitman arm is fine for EITHER a 4" spring lift OR a SOA but if you combine the 4" lift with a SOA you need BOTH... you're
        lookin'at about 11" of lift in this case...

------------------
        TJ
        78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
        360/TH400/QT
        Dana 44's w/ 3.54's
        4" Skyjacker Softride
        3" Trailmaster Bodylift
        33x12.50's on 15x10's
        My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
        "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
        Todd
        www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• fulmetal
          258 I6
          • Apr 13, 2000

when I firt did my SOA i had the 4" drop pitman arm and the drag link still hit w/ the stock springs at a full rght handed turn. That was on the ground, when it was in the air or at full drop I could not even get a half turn from the wheel. That was the reason for the custom steering conversion on the knuckles. No bump steer and lovin it, all joints are in plane plus there is absolutely no steering components to catch on those rock we love so much.
          84 Grand Wag<br />360, soa, headers,custom rear shackle flip<br />35 MT\'s,Mobi on board welder,12V air, Winch <br />\"and the to do list grows daily\"

Comment

• Lococoin
            232 I6
            • May 07, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fulmetal:
            when I firt did my SOA i had the 4" drop pitman arm and the drag link still hit w/ the stock springs at a full rght handed turn. That was on the ground, when it was in the air or at full drop I could not even get a half turn from the wheel. That was the reason for the custom steering conversion on the knuckles. No bump steer and lovin it, all joints are in plane plus there is absolutely no steering components to catch on those rock we love so much.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please tell me you have pictures or know of a place that i could get pictures of this custom work!!!!!!

i want to do it but it dont know where to start

How in the hell is it legal to modify your components like that.

in alberta canada u are not allowed to cut, weld, heat, bend steering components. i dont know how u guys get away with it in california( i thought that they were very strict there)

is there some one who makes engineering parts that i could buy or something??????????

I want to start this project right away but i dont want to make my parts illegal in case one of them broke and i killed someone, then i would be liable for the damages and my insurance company wouldnt cover me

------------------
            Steve (77 jeep j20)
            360 four barrel
            t18a Dana 20
            dana 60 rear
            dana 44 front
            3.73 gears with limited slip in rear
            Of all the jeeps out there, some are GOOD, some BAD, but mines UGLY!

Comment

Working...
            X