should I sell my newer jeep and buy an fsj?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnewxcv
    232 I6
    • Jan 12, 2010

should I sell my newer jeep and buy an fsj?

well guys, Ive always wanted to get a fsj (either 79-83 cherokee, or 79-91 wagoneer (grand).... or a nice 79-88 j truck. Ive had for the past year a 2000 jeep cherokee (XJ) that ive really enjoyed, BUT I still find myself going through the forum here moreso than naxja or jeepforum. I love these rigs. Now, how practical would it be to buy one and use it as a daily driver? I have a second car (1995 lexus sc300), but id want something else to reliably drive any time the sun doesnt shine. I just checked my fuel economy on the last tank in the XJ and got 14mpg almost all city. Can I expect a FSJ to perform about as well as this if properly maintained? Or should I just keep the XJ and forget about a FSJ?

and if you know of any clean FSJs in new england that are road worthy, let me know.
    wanting my own FSJ
  • BGW
    350 Buick
    • Jan 02, 2009

Welcome! There's something very unique about FSJs that draws us in like nothing else. That's a nice XJ, I'd hold onto it personally. Save up and get a project FSJ. You can definitely DD a FSJ, but you'll need one that's been taken care of. A beat to snot basket case will not be reliable. 14 is optimistic, but attainable. I got 14ish on the highway. Stock FSJ average is around 12.

Also, if you want better mileage, you could look for one with the 258 I6, which is a nearly indestructible engine. They're a bit pokey in stock form, but they have loads of torque and are great for around town.
    Last edited by BGW; 12-09-2013, 05:59 PM.
    1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

If your XJ has been reliable and in good condition keep it. Not saying you shouldn't buy a FSJ as a 2nd car/hobby car but I wouldn't get rid of a perfectly good XJ to substitute a FSJ in it's place as a daily driver. The XJ gets better mpgs and needs much less tinkering as a DD. If tinkering on old cars is your thing and can live with the time/expense go for it.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

GO through everything. All mechanical and electrical systems. Inspect, measure, restore, or replace. Do that, and they are every bit as reliable as a modern car. You could even make the argument of them being more reliable, because once you've torn the car down and built it back up, you know all the weak spots and know what to do when something needs attention.

For me, it's been a three year process of going through the car in sections. The whole time I've never had it down for more than a couple weeks while I worked.

My Jeep is like a sweet old loyal draft horse. I've done everything I can do to make her feel young again and have reversed most of the years, but there are still some gray hairs around the muzzle. She's seen hard days and has a few scars under fresh mane, that doesn't make her think twice about pulling as hard and strong as she did back in her day.

If I point it's nose and say "Go there", it'll either make it or destroy itself trying.
        Last edited by FSJunkie; 12-09-2013, 06:54 PM.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

FSJ in the city.... 10 on a good day, 9 is more likely... stop and go traffic is not good. The civic gets 28 on the same routes.
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• FSJunkie
            • Jan 09, 2011

My mileage with average driving:

City: 11-13
            Highway: 11-15. (Depending on headwind)

Personal best: 18. It was while driving 80 MPH down a 160 mile stretch of highway that drops from 7000 feet to 1500 feet elevation. Downhill the whole way. Something went wrong in the ignition system coming back and if I went over 55, the engine would cut out. I stuck to 45-55 and got the same 18 on the way up.....uphill, in 100 degree weather.

The manual says 30 MPH gives 30% more fuel economy than 60 MPH. If that's true, I should be good for 16 MPG on a flat at 30 MPH.

Not all that bad considering it's a 4200 pound BRICK powered by a 6.0L engine. There are certainly worse SUV's. *Cough..Excursion*

Comment

• FSJK
              258 I6
              • Feb 12, 2009

I agree about keeping the XJ. I miss & regret selling both XJ's I've had.

You could try to find a clean FSJ with a bad engine, and do like a bunch of us and 5.3/4l60e setup for better mileage & turn key reliability. That's what I'm working on for my next DD. (so far it's a fun project, probably because the wife doesn't yet know about it!)

Comment

• BGW
                350 Buick
                • Jan 02, 2009

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                *Cough..Suburban*
                Fixed it for you. Diesel Excursions get way better mileage than FSJs.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• cherokee83
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 12, 2006

YESSSSSSSSSSSS sale and buy FSJ

Comment

• DanHS
                    • Aug 29, 2004

For the fact that parts are very easy to get and relatively inexpensive, and every mechanic has had experience with them, a 4.0 XJ is a very good vehicle to have, and I don't think it makes sense to get rid of one for an FSJ. Another problem is that the whole New England/NY/Northeast area is just terrible to rust prone FSJ's, so you've got to track down a good one, and then rust proof it before even considering touching the road with it in the winter or doing any offroading.

I'd say if you can handle a third vehicle, take your time and find a decent FSJ, and make a nice project out of it. If three cars is too much, wait a bit on the FSJ thing, we all love our FSJ's, but a nice XJ isn't something you want to just dump for a much older car that honestly isn't really as nice a car to drive. I really liked the XJ's I've driven and often think it would have been much wiser to buy an XJ than the '79 Cherokee I bought.

Also on the Excursions, my friend's family has a 2003 6.0 Powerstroke Excursion with an aftermarket turbo, exhaust, tuner, and injectors. The thing is really surprisingly fast, will haul almost twice it's own weight, and it gets 25mpg highway cruising at 70+
                    I wish I had a diesel like that in my Wagoneer.
                    '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification

Comment

• draglink
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 17, 2008

whats is your commute like? How many miles?

I DD-ed mine for years and LOVED it!. When gas went to $4 /gallon I went to DD-ing about twice a week, sometimes 3 days, thats where I am now. I find myself really looking forward to my GW days!

I drive 100 - 150 miles a day for my job.

PS- 2001 V10 4x4 Excusion Limited is top 3 best vehicle I have ever owned
                      '86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• FSJunkie
                        • Jan 09, 2011

Diesel Excursion....Diesel Excursion....Diesel Excursion. Diesel doesn't count.

How about a gasoline Excursion. Those things suck gas.

When I drive a 4.0L on the highway at 80 MPH, I get 14-17 MPG. At the same time my Wagoneer would get 13. Not much difference.

Comment

• BGW
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 02, 2009

V8 Excursions get the same mileage as FSJs. V10 Excursions get 8-14. Excursions weigh close to twice as much as FSJs. You're using the wrong SUV to compare to.

Comment

• pyro
                            258 I6
                            • Sep 15, 2012

keep the xj...i wish i picked one up awhile back.
                            '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                            '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Comment

• Mikel
                              • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                              Diesel Excursion....Diesel Excursion....Diesel Excursion. Diesel doesn't count.

How about a gasoline Excursion. Those things suck gas.

When I drive a 4.0L on the highway at 80 MPH, I get 14-17 MPG. At the same time my Wagoneer would get 13. Not much difference.
                              Your Wagoneer gets 13MPG doing 80MPH?
                              1969 M715 6x6
                              1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

Working...
                              X