• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hannaganscr
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 22, 2014

Engine Question

I have a 1976 J20 and it has the auto trans. It was a 401 engine but someone has replaced it with a 304. I am wondering is there any engines that are not AMC that I can do a direct bolt in? Like a GM or Ford engine? Any help would be great and thanks. BTW I am new to the FSJ world I have only had mine 6 months.
  • BGW
    350 Buick
    • Jan 02, 2009

Nope, the AMC bellhousing pattern is entirely unique. If you're looking for more power, your best bet is to get a 360, build it up, and then swap it for the 304 when you're ready. With a little bit of work, these AMC engines can be absolute monsters. The blocks are very stout, they're made of high grade metal, and they're very easy to "wake up". A new RV cam, 4BBL intake, and 4BBL carb will go a long way, and it's much cheaper than converting to a different type of engine.
    1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• blazer3664
      350 Buick
      • Mar 08, 2009

Can be done, but not financially worth it IMHO.

Motor mount kits are available for a couple different engines here

Say you so GM small block. $195
      GM swap radiator http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1079.htm
      Can be done cheaper, but say $300

The trans should be a th400, but as BGW mentioned
      the AMC bellhousing pattern is entirely unique
      So you swap in a GM th400..........but wait....... the tailshaft is also unique.
      So you also need to swap the tailshaft from your Jeeps th400 into the GM th400 to mate it to the transfer case. May as well rebuild it while its apart.
      .....Lets say you do it all yourself with a master kit like this (cheap on from Summit)http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-jms9/overview/
      $100
      Or you could swap the t-case too, but thats a whole other can of worms.

So just that quick, you are already at $600 by the time you get the little misc stuff to do those.
      Add the cost of a GM engine and trans (probably about the same as you could buy a 360 from someone here) and you could do just as BGW mentioned
      get a 360, build it up, and then swap it for the 304 when you're ready. With a little bit of work, these AMC engines can be absolute monsters.

Of coarse, if I took my own advice, I wouldn't be putting in a OD trans and doubler. Way more cost than fixing what was there, but its what I want for what I plan to do with it.

So if you WANT a GM/Ford/Dodge engine, go for it, just know it wont be cheaper than getting another AMC V8 in there.

Jim
      modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
      LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
      SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
      H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
      custom shackle flip
      W/F150 springs
      -----Coming Soon-----
      snorkels,
      OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Drop-n bolt-up? No.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• gsmikie
          Auto Trannie God
          • Feb 18, 2001

put your trans guts in a gm th400 case and a set of motor mounts and bolt that 8.1 right in there
          I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• BGW
            350 Buick
            • Jan 02, 2009

Originally posted by gsmikie
            put your trans guts in a gm th400 case and a set of motor mounts and bolt that 8.1 right in there
            And enjoy burning oil. Far worthier engines to swap than one of those.
            1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• hannaganscr
              230 Tornado
              • Jan 22, 2014

Engine swap

I guess you all gave me answer I was looking for. I will start looking for a 401 to put back in it. Thanks for all your help for the noobie..

Comment

• Mike D
                350 Buick
                • Jul 29, 2002

you'll have alot more luck finding a 360/390
                64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                50 truck
                63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• mdill
                  Gone. Not Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2000

Originally posted by Mike D
                  you'll have alot more luck finding a 360/390
                  A 390 is going to have some issues, (deck height difference messes up accessory mounting) but any 304, 360, 401 will drop in (with correct flex-plate and dampener) and be form fit compatible , 360 is likely the easiest to find cheap.
                  -----------------------------------------
                  Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                  1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                  1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                  1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                  1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                  And the other stuff that gets driven
                  ----------------------------------------

Comment

• FSJunkie
                    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                    • Jan 09, 2011

Sorry. Chevy engines don't just drop in.

Gee, what a shame...

AMC 360 is a better engine anyway.
                    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Mike D
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 29, 2002

I put in a SBC 283 -- but because i had it and i thought at the time that it would run higher rev's with no ill effects ... (due to the lower gearing)

It was fun making all the changes for it to sit in there ...

it sits still 8 years now -- for other reasons ... (wife, kids -- new house -- the works !!!)
                      64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                      50 truck
                      63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                      And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

Realize that the TH400 is an old design, and has a high parasitic load compared to modern lock-up overdrive automatics. And the Quadratrac transfer case has become problematic now due to lack of quality replacement parts ... Even the quality drive chain wears out in about 60K-70K miles, and the import chains wear out much sooner. I expect knowledgeable owners are making plans for a transfer case swap sometime in the future...

Finding a good 401 with a virgin block could be an expensive and time consuming quest. The 401 cannot be overbored much, so a block that has already been bored once may have to be sleeved to be usable. This costs about $100 per hole, IIRC. Check old posts - there's a lot of discussion of this issue with the 401.

So your factory drivetrain has a lot of issues.

What's wrong with the 304? It can power a FSJ just fine. Jeep offered the 304 in the truck and Wagon in '71 and '72, and I expect they dropped the option becasue there was not that much difference between the 304 and 360 2V equipped vehicles.

IMO ... if you don't like the 304, you would be better off to do a complete swap of a modern GM engine, overdrive automatic transmission and modern transfer case. If you pick your components right, all this stuff bolts together and you replace it all. Then all you have to figure out is the mounts, driveshafts, wiring and plumbing.
                        Last edited by tgreese; 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM.
                        Tim Reese
                        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• hannaganscr
                          230 Tornado
                          • Jan 22, 2014

Engine

I have done some homework and I am thinking about doing a cam swap and aluminum intake with a 4barrel carb. I was told the 304 was rebuilt when I bought the truck so don't really know what all the engine has for specs now. Meaning if its been bored or already has a cam in it. I do know it has a Mallory ignition in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJraXikINkk here is a link to a video I done of the truck there are 3 total video's of the truck. I gave $2000 for the truck.
                          Last edited by hannaganscr; 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• joe
                            • Apr 28, 2000

Does the 304 "need" rebuilding or you just want more power? Granted in a heavy FSJ a stock 304 isn't a fire breather but it's a solid reliable small V8 and adequate for normal use. But we're talking your money and labor not mine. Vroom Vroom.
                            joe
                            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• hannaganscr
                              230 Tornado
                              • Jan 22, 2014

Engine

The engine was rebuilt at least that's what I was told anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                              X