• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • localfiend
    232 I6
    • Nov 10, 2012

66 J2000 Tow Rig Build

Howdy everyone. Picked up a 66 Gladiator that I've been wanting for a very long time and have started the slow process of restoration and rebuilding.

1966 Jeep Gladiator J2000
    3" Body Lift (Might have to go....)
    Dana 44's Front and Rear 3.92 Ratio
    T90 3 Speed
    Dana 20 T-Case (I think... it's very very dirty)
    Slightly Built Chevy 350
    Edelbrock 650CFM (I think) Carb
    Well Lining Bumper... For deflecting grizzly bears I think

Frame is in great shape, only slight surface rust. Body is mostly straight - gonna need a bit of hammering though, especially on the tailgate.
    Bed has some cancer on the sides and on the floor in the back. Firewall seems solid, floor pans need some work. Passenger side isn't bad, but the drivers side will require cutting.

I want to turn this thing into a tow rig so that I can haul my camping gear and TJ to the trail.

Here's a bunch of pics to kind of get things up to speed. I have a bunch of questions.

Check out the gas pedal, it was held to the floor with layers of tape and cardboard....

The front on the drivers side need to be mostly replaced, the passenger has one hole. The rear and all the seams are really good.

One of my other neighbors are a bead roller, so fixing this with some sheet metal will be a breeze. Plus I get to practice with my new welder.

Currently in the working on the brakes stage. They would not come off using any kind of usual method.

Been applying PB blaster over the last few days, and finally assembled this:

The Claw....

Revenge:

1964 Jeep Gladiator
    Chevy 350
    AX15
    Dana 20 w/ PTO
    Dana 44/53

Build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=171638

1966 Jeep Gladiator
    Chevy 350
    HD44, 14 Bolt
    SM465
    NP205

Build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=161426
  • mud89
    304 AMC
    • Nov 18, 2009

I like it ! That's what i call a truck and you got also the cool old school small rear window
    With a 100028 serial number , it means that the truck got the 327 originally (thanks for sharing the VIN tag)
    Last edited by mud89; 11-19-2012, 01:24 AM.
    J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

If it's really a '66 and had an AMC 327 originally, it would have come with the T-85 transmission, not a T-90. It's also a Borg-Warner 3-speed with a non-synchro 1st, but it's considerably stronger than the T-90.

Just FYI. I would check the side of the transmission for casting numbers. These transmissions come with a tag under the top cover bolt, but it's often lost.

Looks like a fine project.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• mud89
        304 AMC
        • Nov 18, 2009

Thanks for info Tim
        That's what say indeed the service manual : the T90 was for the Tornado engine only, but if it was a Tornado originally, the serial number would have five digit, not six. So either it's not actually a T90 or it's not the original transmission
        J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• jaber
          Dragin Az
          • Oct 17, 2003

Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects...

Looks like you found a good one to start on.
          Jeff

'43 cj2a
          '51 Willys p/u
          '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
          '68 Panel Delivery
          '74 CJ5
          '75 J-20 Wrecker
          '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
          '77 J-10 p/u
          '79 Cherokee
          '88 Grand Wagoneer
          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

Since the motor isn't stock, anything could have been changed.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• localfiend
              232 I6
              • Nov 10, 2012

Originally posted by tgreese
              If it's really a '66 and had an AMC 327 originally, it would have come with the T-85 transmission, not a T-90. It's also a Borg-Warner 3-speed with a non-synchro 1st, but it's considerably stronger than the T-90.

Just FYI. I would check the side of the transmission for casting numbers. These transmissions come with a tag under the top cover bolt, but it's often lost.

Looks like a fine project.
              That would be cool. It's so covered in grease that I didn't even bother looking that close. Previous owner said it was a T90, and that's what it looked like to me.

Transmission and transfer case are going to be swapped out anyway. Might not have bothered buying other parts already if I knew it might be a T85. Oh well.

Current plan is to drop in a SM465/NP205 combo with pto winch. I have an 8 lug dana 44 and a dana 60 to swap in as well.
              1964 Jeep Gladiator
              Chevy 350
              AX15
              Dana 20 w/ PTO
              Dana 44/53

1966 Jeep Gladiator
              Chevy 350
              HD44, 14 Bolt
              SM465
              NP205

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Well, it might be a T-90... somebody may have made a conversion kit to the SBC for the T-85 in the day, but there's no kit available today AFAIK. The Borg-Warner T-85/T-89 was used in a lot of different passenger cars and light trucks in the 50's and 60s, but it's an oddball in the Jeep world.

If it's a T-90, already adapted to a SBC, that has some value. You should be able to sell it.

I'm down with the SM465, but isn't the NP205 kinda huge and hang-down-ish? One of the better characteristics of the Jeep trucks is that the 4WD bits are tucked up into the frame, and the NP205 prompts this mental picture of a Ford or Chevy high-boy with its junk hanging down under the frame.

Not dissing your project - just conversing.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• localfiend
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 10, 2012

Well, it might be a T-90... somebody may have made a conversion kit to the SBC for the T-85 in the day, but there's no kit available today AFAIK. The Borg-Warner T-85/T-89 was used in a lot of different passenger cars and light trucks in the 50's and 60s, but it's an oddball in the Jeep world.
                  The conversion kit does look homemade, but the trans really looks like a T90. Of course, I don't know what a 4wd T85 looks like. Pictures on the internet are not easy to find.

If it's a T-90, already adapted to a SBC, that has some value. You should be able to sell it.
                  My little brother lucked out there. He's got a 1950 Willy's truck that it's going to be dropped into. Even have a chevy 350 out of a suburban for him...

I'm down with the SM465, but isn't the NP205 kinda huge and hang-down-ish? One of the better characteristics of the Jeep trucks is that the 4WD bits are tucked up into the frame, and the NP205 prompts this mental picture of a Ford or Chevy high-boy with its junk hanging down under the frame.

Not dissing your project - just conversing.
                  Yeah, it's quite a bit bigger than the little Dana 20. Of course, the primary purpose for this rig will be to tow a trailer with my TJ on it. I'd also like to get a camper or canopy at a later date. I'm building for towing strength, and this was the cheap way to do so. I've already got one crazy wheeling rig.

I picked up a donor 3/4 ton '73 chevy for $500. That nets me a trans, t-case, pto & winch, and 8 lug dana 44 parts. As well as a 14 bolt in case the dana 60 I have lined up falls through. Also have bucket seats, or bench seats that are in very nice shape I pulled out the aformentioned suburban.

Total cost of getting this thing cleaned up, painted, and running down the road with heavy axles, and disk brakes all the way around will be just under $3000. Thats including the purchase price of the truck, consumables, and the odd tool I might not have.

Of course, I will have to withold on the goodies like a stereo system, ac, digital gauges ect....
                  1964 Jeep Gladiator
                  Chevy 350
                  AX15
                  Dana 20 w/ PTO
                  Dana 44/53

1966 Jeep Gladiator
                  Chevy 350
                  HD44, 14 Bolt
                  SM465
                  NP205

Comment

• localfiend
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 10, 2012

This could take more fabrication than I was originally thinking....

Didn't realize that the older jeep trucks had springs outside of the frame. Gonna be a pain I think.

At least there's lots of easy stuff that also needs doing....

Got me some vinyl and fabric paint. Ran out, but it shows the difference.

Almost like new.

1964 Jeep Gladiator
                    Chevy 350
                    AX15
                    Dana 20 w/ PTO
                    Dana 44/53

1966 Jeep Gladiator
                    Chevy 350
                    HD44, 14 Bolt
                    SM465
                    NP205

Comment

• localfiend
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 10, 2012

Been lax about updates.....

Found a donor parts rig. A 1975 Chevy Pickup with and SM465/NP205, HD44, and 14 Bolt w/ 4.10's.

Here's the bad engine, and good transmission and t-case after I pulled it all in one piece.

Slow and steady....

Welding sheet metal sucks - but I think things will go smoother on the next panel (largely because the metal is thicker and not nearly as rusty.
                      Primer added to the supports, I really don't want that stuff to rust out later:

Piece of 16 gauge steel cut to shape, and then repeatedly beat with a framing hammer.

Tacking stuff into place....

Some more welding:

Guess badly on the length here, kinda hard to judge when you're still bending things.

Almost done, have a bit more stuff to clean up, and I think it needs to be sandblasted. Hit everything with a coarse flapper wheel, but I think it's still to smooth even with all the scratches.
                      1964 Jeep Gladiator
                      Chevy 350
                      AX15
                      Dana 20 w/ PTO
                      Dana 44/53

1966 Jeep Gladiator
                      Chevy 350
                      HD44, 14 Bolt
                      SM465
                      NP205

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 23, 2011

Looking good! I like that front bumper
                        Andy
                        '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
                        Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

take a moment and click on my build link in my sig. I put a K5 HD44 and Jeep D60 under my 68 J3000. You got a can of worms coming my friend Nice truck!
                          1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                          1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• localfiend
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 10, 2012

Originally posted by Gambler68
                            take a moment and click on my build link in my sig. I put a K5 HD44 and Jeep D60 under my 68 J3000. You got a can of worms coming my friend Nice truck!
                            Awesome man, reading through it now. I've got a thriftside bed from an old willy's truck that I'm installing as well. Looks like our builds will be pretty similar in the end.
                            1964 Jeep Gladiator
                            Chevy 350
                            AX15
                            Dana 20 w/ PTO
                            Dana 44/53

1966 Jeep Gladiator
                            Chevy 350
                            HD44, 14 Bolt
                            SM465
                            NP205

Comment

• FSJ_Daniel
                              232 I6
                              • Mar 22, 2011

let me know if your getting rid of the body lift i could use it on my j200
                              73 J-4000 "/Battillac\" 500 Caddy,400/QT w/low, 44 f&r[3,07\'s],35x12.5 BFGoodrich AT's,Auto Meter gauges,TCI trans.cooler,poly fuel tank,Flex-o-lite 7 blade,poly trans mounts,electric cooling fan,straight pipes loud and proud, Front disc conversion, 6" lift, Rancho RS5000 Shocks,Chrome Cragars
                              63 j-200 "green turd" 230 ohc 3 spd all stock

Comment

Working...
                              X