• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Waggymcgee
    232 I6
    • Oct 19, 2020

Big day!

I have functioning gauges, all interior lights, heater controls, turn signals, voltmeter, and she shuts off when she’s supposed to! Did everything to make sure no car-b-ques in my future and birds nest under dash all cleaned up.
    I took her on the highway and because we got a bunch of snow used the 4wd for the first time on side roads.....couldn’t slip if I tried, so impressed! I am so f’n stoked!!! Yee-haw!!! I am shocked how dim the instrument panel is even with LED’s.
    One thing I’d like input on. Motor was rebuilt so prior odometer reflected body mileage if you will. When I put the functioning instrument panel, did not change out the odometer. Is there any argument to do so?
    Last edited by Waggymcgee; 12-31-2020, 04:26 PM.
    Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

[quote=Waggymcgee]I have functioning gauges, all interior lights, heater controls, turn signals, voltmeter, and she shuts off when she
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

[quote=Waggymcgee]I have functioning gauges, all interior lights, heater controls, turn signals, voltmeter, and she shuts off when she
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

[quote=Waggymcgee]I have functioning gauges, all interior lights, heater controls, turn signals, voltmeter, and she shuts off when shes supposed to! Did everything to make sure no car-b-ques in my future and birds nest under dash all cleaned up.
        I took her on the highway and because we got a bunch of snow used the 4wd for the first time.....couldn
        Tim Reese

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

[quote=Waggymcgee]I have functioning gauges, all interior lights, heater controls, turn signals, voltmeter, and she shuts off when shes supposed to! Did everything to make sure no car-b-ques in my future and birds nest under dash all cleaned up.
          I took her on the highway and because we got a bunch of snow used the 4wd for the first time.....couldnt slip if I tried, so impressed! I am so fn stoked!!! Yee-haw!!! I am shocked how dim the instrument panel is even with LED
          Tim Reese

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

I took her on the highway and because we got a bunch of snow used the 4wd for the first time.....couldnt slip if I tried, so impressed! I am so fn stoked!!! Yee-haw!!! I am shocked how dim the instrument panel is even with LEDs.
            One thing I
            Tim Reese

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Waggymcgee
              I have functioning gauges, all interior lights, heater controls, turn signals, voltmeter, and she shuts off when shes supposed to! Did everything to make sure no car-b-ques in my future and birds nest under dash all cleaned up.
              I took her on the highway and because we got a bunch of snow used the 4wd for the first time.....couldnt slip if I tried, so impressed! I am so fn stoked!!! Yee-haw!!! I am shocked how dim the instrument panel is even with LEDs.
              One thing Id like input on. Motor was rebuilt so prior odometer reflected body mileage if you will. When I put the functioning instrument panel, did not change out the odometer. Is there any argument to do so?
              Great. You realize you can turn the headlight switch knob to make the dash dim/bright?

Yeah well ... the odometer reading is what it is. Any change to that is dishonest. Save your receipts if you want to make the rebuilt engine a selling point. The chassis wears with miles too, so an engine rebuild only refreshes part of the car. IMO your maintenance and repair records are as important as what the odometer reads.

Don't use the single quote. The forum software will freak out.
              Tim Reese

Comment

• Waggymcgee
                232 I6
                • Oct 19, 2020

Thanks tim

That is what I figured on odometer. I will leave the new (From a 79 wag) in there, vs putting the original 85 one back in there. I didn’t plan to reset anything. Dimmer is pegged. It definitely isn’t ‘bright’ but better than none.
                Thanks for all the info you post Tim. It really helped me to get my electrical focus and solves list together.
                Last edited by Waggymcgee; 12-31-2020, 03:45 PM.
                Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

No apostrophes! The single quote on the PC seems ok, but the apostrophe on your phone (?) wreaks havoc.

Ha! Glad I could help!
                  Tim Reese

Comment

• madmikeX3
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 23, 2009

Great news!!! Wish I had snow.
                    Just Empty Every Pocket
                    1980 Jeep Cherokee W/T
                    Nice Jeep Bro!!!! Do some Jeep Stuff!!!!.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 19, 2003

Super cool! Congrats.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

CONGRATS!!! VICTORY to start the new year!

My opinion on the Odometer: they are irrelevant on a car that is 30+ years old and has had 3+ owners. Who knows what has/has not been done to it.

I put LEDs in my dash, too. Made a big difference. I would just rotate the dimmer switch back and forth a bunch of times. It is probably all corroded inside and maybe if you rotate it back and forth it will rub some of that corrosion off. Also, make sure the back of your cluster is super well grounded. I made 3 dedicated ground wires for my dash cluster when it was out.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• MysticRob
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by tgreese
                          No apostrophes! The single quote on the PC seems ok, but the apostrophe on your phone (?) wreaks havoc.

Ha! Glad I could help!
                          Might want to skip the 'quote' button next time and go straight to 'reply'. LOL
                          Bug affects all browsers, not just on phones. If it happens, just go back to the original page you were on prior to hitting submit, then hit edit of the truncated post, then copy and paste that entire post into it. Basically you're just editing your original post that the site goofed up.

Kerry, the only thing I'd be worried about is turning off other buyers if/when it raises red flags with vehicle-history services like CarFax and/or AutoCheck that check for mileage inconsistencies, or if a devious buyer attempts to game the system using title fraud as an excuse:

As Rang said, it likely matters less for a ~35yr old slab of awesomeness like a Wagoneer, but you never know about some people.
                          --Rob--
                          1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                          https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• Waggymcgee
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 19, 2020

"slab of awesomeness" is right! I wouldn't want to sell it to someone who doesn't appreciate the 79 panel in an 85, degrained with a macco over spray all over the place paint job, and on and on
                            Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg

Comment

• letank
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jun 03, 2002

congrats, on your success.
                              As for the dimmer switch, after a while, the internal (the thermal fuse) starts to fail and it gets really dim, probably a new dimmer switch will do. From my experience, a dimmer switch every 100K miles seems like a good option.
                              Michel
                              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X