• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crankyolman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 27, 2017

Someone crashed through my neighbors fence

A few days ago I was in my garage and heard a car running that sounded a lot like my truck. Stepping outside there were no cars on my street but at that moment I saw the plum tree in my neighbors back yard fall over. Looking closer I could see a car where the tree used to be.

A couple days later the car was still there and my neighbors were outside so I went and talked to them about it.

Turns out it's a '63 T-bird convertible that just came out of long term storage. The owner claimed he was going to sell it that day for $40,000 which would be a miracle because 60's T-birds just don't sell that high. His buddy had just recently done a brake job on it when the brakes failed sending it down the hill, through the shrubbery, through a chain link fence into my neighbors back yard and knocking over the plum tree.

Now there is a chain link fence tangled up underneath it and the only way out is back the way it came from which will likely damage it even more. I'm thinking of offering him $1,000 where it sits and having my friend with the leather bar Jeep come pull it out, then fixing it right and making Mrs Cranky drive it for the next year or so. Mrs Cranky doesn't like 60's T-birds or convertibles or big engines (390) but for the right price I think she'd be OK with it.

One funny thing, if it were actually worth that kind of money and I could get it cheap I know where a hard top is that's painted the exact same color for $11,000 that could be used for parts to flip this one without repainting it
    '72 J4500
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

I always like the bigger birds, more practical than the original and iconic 55-57 IMHO. Hell of a brake job his buddy did! Thanks for the pics.
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

Never cared for them after the '57 until the 2002-'5 but it's a convertible so I'd take it.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• devildog80
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 13, 2022

Good or bad news it came through your neighbors fence.

Maybe if it was on your property, perhaps you could seize the car, until all damages were paid?

And pull the car in further so fence would not damage it more trying to back it out?

So many times in life we almost find that gold nugget sitting right beside us :/
        '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

If it were my fence there would be a whole lot more wrong than just failed brakes and I personally think he may have hit the gas instead of the brakes. I don't think the guy has any money to get it out but I could do it for nothing if it were mine but then again I doubt I would have driven it there in the first place. I think to prevent further damage I would probably go to lowe's and buy the stuff to make a sled to pull it up the hill, then jack it up, construct the sled underneath it and get my friend with the leather bar jeep to drag it out or if I didn't have a friend with a winch I'd use a come-a-long to drag it up the hill. In my youth I dragged a lot of things out from where they shouldn't have been with a come-a-long.
          '72 J4500

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

If I had $40k waiting I'd have had it out the same day.
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Tanker
              350 Buick
              • Jan 04, 2005

If your on the East Coast I know were 2 66 Birds... Convertible as well..
              Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
              Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                350 Buick
                • Aug 19, 2003

Cranky..... Did this T-Bird get recovered yet?

Comment

• Crankyolman
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
                  Cranky..... Did this T-Bird get recovered yet?
                  I think so but I haven't looked too close but I think it is now gone.
                  '72 J4500

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

That TBird knocked over a plum tree? That plum tree must have been awfully sick. I see almost no front end damage at... if it was worth $40k before this, i would think it has to be worth at least $10k after...
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• devildog80
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 13, 2022

Right eyebrow wrinkle looks about the most of it?
                      '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

• Crankyolman
                        350 Buick
                        • Sep 27, 2017

The plum tree was actually fairly large and healthy, It ripped it up by the roots.

I don't know how much damage the passenger's side but I know the undercarriage took a beating. I think the front bumper is bent up as well.

I would have liked to have seen it after they got it out but don't know when that happened.
                        '72 J4500

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

what a story !!!
                          Alfred Hitchcock,......the thunderbirds !!!
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
                          X