77 Wagoneers, U-joints, & Parts Stores Oh My!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biscuit5050
    232 I6
    • Sep 04, 2014

77 Wagoneers, U-joints, & Parts Stores Oh My!!

A fun little tale of my day's experience.

My voluntary vehicle inspection made me aware of the necessity of replacing U-joint along with a goodly list of other things.

This lead to shopping for parts and I ended up at Team Wagoneer as they have a bunch of parts for well WAGONEERS. They must know what I need so of I go.

Not long after ordering I see a thread about U-joints, U-bolts or straps. Jist of the discussion is that these late 70 wagoneers require U-bolts. Well wouldn't you know I picked the straps when I ordered. They were offered after all. Upon tear down today, sure enough need u-bolts and another u-joint. The front looked pretty rough, the rear was disintegrating.

Off to Napa I go. A 45 minute discussion about which U-joint. There are so many options depending on which particular location and type of transmission.... REALLY!! So finally after cross referencing I decide on one and then go to get U-bolts. Only half of what I need in stock, as I am figuring on lowering the front shaft to take care of the T-Case gaskets at same time. I am told two other stores have one each so I can drive around and get what I need.

Instead I take the U-joint and some other items and head off to AutoZone. Long story short. I discuss U-joints and they narrow it down to one type for rear shaft and two options for front shaft for my vehicle. Gonn'a need to drop the front shaft to see which ones it needs. I discuss the 1 gasket I need for the Edelbrock carb only to discover it is part of a $45 rebuild kit! Again only have the U-bolts needed so I say to Hell with it and head back to Napa for the better looking U-bolts they have and figure I will just do the rear today and remove the T-case cover only to repair that leak and leave the outdrive seals till they leak.

25 more minutes at Napa, cause they are busy with 5 folks standing around in the back and one guy ringing up counter customers. Once I am being helped I get the U-bolts and go ahead with the heater core thinking I'll fix that while I am at it. I inquire about Edelbrock gasket. Guy has no idea how to even begin looking it up on his system. Says sorry, I'm his big customer of the day and he can't help me......

Anyway, U-joints are in and lessons learned. Get U-joints with zerk fitting on the ends cause you can't get the tip on them without dropping them which leaves 2 of the 4 caps unsecured and thus hard to get the grease to come out all 4 for proper lube. Also get at least a 4 inch C-clamp or vise cause the old hammer and socket method leaves a lot to be desired.
    Biscuit

Blue - 77' Wagoneer
    401cid de-smog / 400TH / Quadtrac w/ reduction

The 2 styles of ujoint are 369 for regular and 380 for double cardan AFAIK.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
    X