• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich88
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 20, 2008

GM 350 TBI conversion write-up?

I have a box full of GM 350 TBI components from an '89 Chevy K-series pick-up.... and am reluctant to begin for lack of knowing where to find a comprehensive write up on doing the conversion on my '88 GW.

I obtained the schematic for an '89 K-series, and one specific concern is needing to know what is required for ECU inputs vs. what is not. There seem to be a lot ECU inputs from things that don't exist on an '88 GW. For example, rpm or speed input for one. Is anti-knock really needed?

And do I understand correctly that I need to change the distributor, that the stock will not work?

If someone could point to some write-up, be much appreciated. I don't want to spend the whole summer chasing down answers to why it won't start or run right for lack of knowing important details beforehand.
    Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
    88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
    "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Hopefully, these won't change too much. Below are links to other forums that have well developed Fuel Injection forums and/or FAQs. In no particular order. This is a great resource to learn the basics of TBI. Read this FAQ about 10 times or so if you are brand new to TBI. It's not inherently difficult, but there is a
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Rich88
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 20, 2008

I perused the links and frankly they're useless. If ever a subject deserved a good tech library write-up, this would be it. Seems like there should be one for each of the 3 or 4 most popular conversions by now.

Sigh...I was hoping not to have to post 23 different questions.
      88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Well obviously you didn't go through and read the binderplanet FAQ's.

It's by far the best resource out there for a TBI swap. Useless is a pretty strong word, and if you had actually read any of the info there you wouldn't have posted the initial thread.

Here is page 1 of an extremely useful write-up complete with pictures from Google's cache since their webserver seems to be having an issue right now.

READ IT, and then see if you still think it's useless and has the information you're looking for.
        Last edited by babywag; 05-13-2011, 09:31 PM.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

Bill's FAQ's over @ the Binder Planet are some of the best I've run across on the web.

Read the FAQ's again. Think about it for a few days.

Then go back and read the FAQ's again. Think about it for a few days.

Then go back and read the FAQ's again. Think about it for a few days.

Then go back and read the FAQ's again.

At this point you will either have found your cure for insomnia or the FAQ's will start to actually make sense.

If you're completely new to TBI, it is a steep learning curve. But once you start to understand the basics, everything else will fall neatly into place and you'll soon be having "Ah ha!" moments and thinking "So THAT'S what I need to do!"

Bill's FAQ's actually cover VSS (rpm input) and knock sensors and how to use or not use one. One of my writeups describes how to use the stock distributor by disconnecting the vacuum advance and locking out the mechanical advance. I'm not sure if that one was linked or not, but you can get to it from my sig link which is just below this message.

Read up some more and then start asking questions!
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Rich88
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 20, 2008

Babywag/FSJ Guy:

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
            At this point you will either have found your cure for insomnia or the FAQ's will start to actually make sense.
            Screw the insomnia...it's 4:45 am and I'm still up because I'm fascinated by what appears to be straight forward info I was hoping to find.

To be honest, the first time I clicked your links to Binder site I didn't "see" correctly (for lack of a better term) nor scroll down to the meat of the matter. Instead I was playing around with tabs at the top going in circles....thinking I had to join another forum and pull more teeth, etc.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond back to me "assertively". T'would appear there's hope for me yet.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

Don't worry. It takes some time to get a grasp of this stuff.
              Ethan Brady
              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Working...
              X