• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwalton23
    258 I6
    • Jan 24, 2011

Wagoneer body swaps

Okay, I have been contemplating swapping a cummins into my Wag and then I had a thought, Just swap my Wag body onto a 92 w250 frame and shorten the wheel base 15 inches.
    I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of this, I am looking for the experts opinion, Any info on this would be appreciated. comments welcome as well.
    91 Grand Wagoneer

AMC 360 / Torqueflight 727 / NPM 229
    Dana 44 front and rear
    6" Rustys Offroad suspension lift
    BJ's quick disconnects
    BJ's PreRunner front bumper with winch plate
    fenders trimmed
    35x12.50x15's Maxxis Bighorn mudders
    Rhino grill
    http://www.tnjeeps.com/
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

When I was teenager I plopped a mustang body on a Cherokee frame.
    I didn't even have to rewire it since the mustang used the same ignition and alternator set-up.
    I say go for it.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• serehill
      Gone,Never Forgotten.
      • Nov 22, 2009

Why not

Early 90's I put a 85 C10 diesel under a 57 panel truck Get r dun. The frame is engineered for the drivetrain is not a bad way to go. That Panel truck rocked.
      Last edited by serehill; 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM.

80 Cherokee
      360 ci 727 with
      Comp cams 270 h
      NP208
      Edlebrock performer intake
      Holley 4180
      Msd total multi spark.
      4" rusty's springs
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Chumley360
        350 Buick
        • Sep 06, 2007

There was a thread on here a while back where someone put a Chero on a K5 Blazer chassis. I think it was a K5 anyway. But he did a really good job with it. I read a lot of "don't do that" on forums when it comes to body swaps, but if you take the time to do it right they usually look good and work properly. I'm not sure why so many people seem to shy away from body swaps, heck I've seen enough crappy engine and IFS swaps in hot-rods that I'd never want to do one cause they all must come out poorly. The key is take the time to do it right. I say go for it and good luck!
        1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• svining
          350 Buick
          • May 16, 2011

Its never done!

Here I thought your body came out so nice, maybe the project was finished, but I guess there's still more to come. I'll follow your progress.

Originally posted by jwalton23
          Okay, I have been contemplating swapping a cummins into my Wag and then I had a thought, Just swap my Wag body onto a 92 w250 frame and shorten the wheel base 15 inches.
          I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of this, I am looking for the experts opinion, Any info on this would be appreciated. comments welcome as well.
          Flashlight
          "I started with nothing, I still got most of it left"
          1982 GW,Stock, No Emissions Equip.
          Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150

Comment

• jwalton23
            258 I6
            • Jan 24, 2011

Originally posted by svining
            Here I thought your body came out so nice, maybe the project was finished, but I guess there's still more to come. I'll follow your progress.
            It's a Jeep. It's never done. Lol. With my new job I've gotten a lot more interested in Diesel engines and the cummins power would be sweet in my jeep but an engine swap runs in the neighborhood of 7g's and thats being cheap. I can pick up a used w250 for 3500 dollars and I can weld and run wires... Why not go that route. I also get a better transmission and tcase. Not to mention Dana 60s. Also if I'm correct its spring over axle as well. All the things jeep people are looking to add in one swoop. Just seems someone would have done this already.
            91 Grand Wagoneer

AMC 360 / Torqueflight 727 / NPM 229
            Dana 44 front and rear
            6" Rustys Offroad suspension lift
            BJ's quick disconnects
            BJ's PreRunner front bumper with winch plate
            fenders trimmed
            35x12.50x15's Maxxis Bighorn mudders
            Rhino grill
            http://www.tnjeeps.com/

Comment

• Blinkinlights
              258 I6
              • Sep 19, 2004

Extreme Pacer - AMC Pacer on Cherokee Frame

87 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/NP208
              BJ's Front and Rear Dozer Bumpers
              35x14.5x15 Boggers on 15x10's
              Mile Marker H10500 Hydraulic Winch
              http://photobucket.com/albums/y174/bANGr/

It's all fun and games until someone breaks a woodie.

Comment

• motion vega
                232 I6
                • Nov 17, 2009

had a pinto wagon on a 78 bronco frame and god knows how much lift and stock tires i got for 200 bucks. was interesting to have in the front yard. i say do it.
                88 grand waggy with almost nothing done to it but a severe beating.

Comment

Same here. Block up the body for clearance so everything fits, mock up new body mounts and burn away. Should not be that tough of a job, the worst would be mating the two wiring systems. Adapt the wag A/C to 134 if it is R12 and there you go.
                  Art
                  ASE Master Collision Tech
                  "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Wagoneer-ing
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 14, 2012

Is this thread still alive? I was seriously looking at putting a 60s Mustang body on a FSJ frame. The wheelbases are within 2" of each other. I just want a Mustang that can be driven year round. I'm not after the Yee-Yee Redneck Special.
                    1968 M715 - Resto-Mod, Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25, AMC 360/727/208, 37" hummer tires, metal hard top, and a ton of work to do!

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

4yr old thread, kinda appeared dead until today
                      Tony

Comment

• Wagoneer-ing
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 14, 2012

Well it seemed to work out because I was trying to get a hold of you babywag. I'm looking into doing what you did before: mustang on a fsj frame. I was googling it and this thread popped up. I guess I wasn't looking at the year these were posted. Could you PM me or email me?
                        1968 M715 - Resto-Mod, Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25, AMC 360/727/208, 37" hummer tires, metal hard top, and a ton of work to do!

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

just send me a pm or email if want info/details.
                          I did swap decades ago, may not remember everything...
                          Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X